Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT 930T Unboxing & Comparisons With 720T
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT 930T Unboxing & Comparisons With 720T
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update

TomTom Support have published a FIX for the Address Voice Input not working on the imported (Pixmania) 930Ts

Seems that there are ASR Files missing from the main map folder for UK Speech recognition on the imported units

Here is a link to download the required files for anyone else in the same situation with an imported 930

(Note the fix is ONLY for the Western Europe Maps) the US Maps still do not have Voice Recognition I am chasing them still on those.

The file below needs to be downloaded and the files from it extracted and placed into the Western Europe V8 Map Folder

http://tomtom.com/updates/ASR_Western_Europe_v8.zip

EDIT

Here is the Link to the USA Files

http://tomtom.com/updates/ASR_North_America.zip
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So The Plot Thickens

The ASR Files for Europe are 216Mb
The ASR Files for North America are 470mb

These files cannot BOTH be fitted on the 930T using the installed 4Gb Memory, there is just not enough room

So have TT shot themselves in the foot here. we have a Machine with an advertised Feature of ASR. But it is physically impossible to fit the ASR Files on the Machine without buying an external memory card and putting one of the maps on that

Personally I think this is a farce, TT Should have uped the internal memory in the *30 series of machines, from 4gb to 6 or 8gb

They have got to the point you cannot use the advertised included features without having to buy an external memory card or having to backup one of the maps to your PC and delete from the *30 (Not acceptable if you are travelling).

If you sell a unit as having NA & EU it should be able to carry both.

This really is starting to get my goat, as I feel its just petty penny pinching to restrict them emory to this point where features are not working and not being shipped with the unit
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil I'm sorry to say, but this is yet another example of not testing new products before they are released to the general public. You would have thought TomTom would have learnt by now, especially as the competition are catching up rapidly.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, Out of interest how far out is the memory, i.e. what is the remaining portion that won't transfer over because the device is full up.
Also how many TTS voice files have you got on the device - Mike
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike

I have deleted all TTS Voices except 1 UK and 1 US

I have deleted all Non TTS Voices

I Have Deleted all non needed items (MP3 & Audiobook samples, Photos & Screengrabs) etc

The Unit now has the WE Maps and WE ASR Added and NA Maps Remaining Memory is 347mb (NA ASR is 470MB)

So about 150mb out of luck with nothing else really I can dump (No Guam or Canary Is maps on the 930)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raster would save a further 17MB but thats not going to help, you were going down the same route I was thinking of by the looks of what you had tried - Mike
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way I have managed to do it is to remove the ASR for the EU Countries apart from the UK (As I don't visit the Continent that much)

And to remove the ASR for all of the US apart from the West Coast area.

This will do for now but in the end I will have to buy another memory card and lob one of the maps and ASR on that. (Just a bit miffed that after spending £389 on the 930 I now have to spend money on an external MC just to get the included features to work

Yes may be a bit petty as 2gb cards can be got for £5 inc delivery, but its a principle thing!!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:
The only way I have managed to do it is to remove the ASR for the EU Countries apart from the UK (As I don't visit the Continent that much)

This will do for now but in the end I will have to buy another memory card and lob one of the maps and ASR on that. (Just a bit miffed that after spending £389 on the 930 I now have to spend money on an external MC just to get the included features to work

Yes may be a bit petty as 2gb cards can be got for £5 inc delivery, but its a principle thing!!!

But if I follow you correctly, Vicky, a 2 gig external card will NOT be large enough **if** you want both the WE Map + all associated countries' ASR files as well as the NA map + all ASR files for your unit.

It seems, for example, if you do put the NA map and its related files on a sd card, it won't fit on a 2gig card. Is that correct?
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if I follow you correctly, Vicky, a 2 gig external card will NOT be large enough **if** you want both the WE Map + all associated countries' ASR files as well as the NA map + all ASR files for your unit.

It seems, for example, if you do put the NA map and its related files on a sd card, it won't fit on a 2gig card. Is that correct?

No I would leave the EU Map & EU ASR Files on Internal memory and put the NA Map and ASR Files on a 2gb card.

The V8 US Map is 1.43Gb and the ASR Files are 430Mb so just fit. on the 2GB card

Leaving the 1.8Gb EU Map and 216Mb ASR Files on Internal Memory

Figure that would sort it out.

Memory Card Capacity 2059010048
US Map & ASR Uses 2036772834

So Tight but room for a few Mapshare changes and POIs

Dont need any larger as dont use it for MP3s or anything like that.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicky wrote:

vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The ASR Files go in the matching Map Folder, so the NA ASR Files go in the NA Map and the EU ASR Files in the EU Map Folder. not in the root of the device

That way you can put the NA Map and NA ASR Files only on the Memory card and have the EU Map and EU ASR Files in internal memory

Sorry if I am misreading what you are saying, but the way I see it as long as the NA Map & ASR Files are on the same memory card it does not matter that they are in a different place to the EU Map and ASR Files
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in other words, a North America user would need to purchase a 4g card to do the same? Can I assume the same will need to be done for US users? (Offload EU map/ASR's to SD)
vicky
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
So, in other words, a North America user would need to purchase a 4g card to do the same? Can I assume the same will need to be done for US users? (Offload EU map/ASR's to SD)

No a 2Gb Card would be fine

As I said the Euro maps can stay on the internal memory and the US Maps and ASR Files all fit on a 2g memory card

(I Have not tried this before so I am sure someone here will confirm that the *20s/*30s can readr off the internal and external memory at the same time,

I am just formatting up a card to test it all on now!

So you would be fine with just a 2gb card
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the required files reside in the correctly named folders the x20 and x30 devices can use the inbuilt memory AND SD card at the same time.
You can even use SDHC in them for stoage capacity upto 16GB (That is the largest size card I know to work with the x23/ x30 to date, but it does have "certain" problems - you can read it fine in the TT but cannot write to an SDHC card above 4GB in the device, use a card reader and everthing works) - Mike
Smartdriver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the NA 7.15 map on the 920 is 1.87GB so there has already been some paring to get it down in size for the 930 v8. This means, possibly, that you have a degraded map in order to fit into a memory space that is now inadequate anyway. Total madness Rolling Eyes

TT Go 6000
Previous Go 920T

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: