Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a4ace wrote:
just tried this evening to connect pocketpc to phone gprs modem, connected to msn, then connected to tomtom bluetooth gps. pocketpc seems to be quite happy to connect to both at the same time. navigated around with no problems.

don't know how it will behave if data download is bigger. good thing tomtom3 comes with a free 3-month subsctiption.

It should be okay. There are two issues at heart here.

1. You won't be able to use a Bluetooth headset (like I do). Unless your phone can support multiple Bluetooth connections (T610 can't!)

2. Ever used your mobile when zooming along a motorway or A road ? Lost a signal ? Well you'll get this a lot under GPRS, but the worst thing is, is that the Pocket PC doesn't recover well and in a lot of cases when I was reviewing LiveWire meant that the Pocket PC would lock up cold and you had to soft reset it. Not nice! This may have just been a problem with their program and maybe not the Pocket PC, but time will tell.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Bearing all this in mind it can be seen why Navigation software companies decide only to release maps with software updates once a year. The question to be posed I suspect is how much you would be prepared to pay for more regular updates of data?

Also bandwidth now is becoming less of issue, providing the company has good burstable internet connections. TomTom never used to but I believe they do now, or have much better ones. PowerLOC recently released 1.2Gb of data for download to it's users for the D3 update. I didn't notice any slowdowns, but maybe a lot of users weren't downloading at the same time, maybe I was one of the first.

It's also worth mentioning that Mapopolis offer all their maps via their website for download, so I do think the bandwidth issue is becoming a non sequitur now.

A further thing to mention is that some companies do handle map updates better. For instance TeleType, they do offer quarterly map updates to their products. They do have a lot of catching up to do, but essentially they're providing the same level of support in their maps as TomTom for instance is supplying.

So.....if a company really wants to do it, has the staff and resources available (AND) is going to charge that much more for the service, it definately is possible. Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Updating maps Reply with quote

gordonh wrote:
Why could TomTom not do something clever, like allow the software to record routes taken or tracks, that you could then email off to TomTom for with details for inclusion in the next monthly map update ?

They would face the same problem we face with the Safety Camera Database. How would they know that:-

1. This is a valid route
2. You didn't fly it
3. The log file wasn't manipulated and sent in from one of their competitors

It's difficult to do this, you could easily find that the maps because very inaccurate very quickly.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always going to be a delay and more importantly, errors in the map data. It seems to me that TT should look to provide a 'patching' mechanism where third parties could create 'pseudo' road corrections which could overlay the fundamental map data until it is all replaced on the next major release. Then there is no risk of competitor foul play etc.

I can't imagine how that might be done but since the amount of data relating to a single road change would be small the upgrade effort would be minimal - I see a new Download facility on Pocket GPS forming here.

Such new roads should be shown totally differently from the normal ones to illustrate that these are 'user' added and not guaranteed.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few points here, let's start with mapping. Regardless of how many road changes there were it still requires a complete rebuild of the map database. The removal of unnecessary data, compression etc takes the time and effort and so even if it were only to include a single road the work would be the same.

The financial model is such that none of the major players foresee interim map updates as economic and so they will appear only with version updates etc of the application.

We were told during our meeting at CeBIT that the map data providers still insist on driving the road before they will incorporate its data into a map release. Whilst I can see no reason why major road builds such as the M6 Toll etc which appear on paper maps years in advance cannot be incorporated into digital maps to be ready in time for the road opening both TeleAtlas and Navteq appear to have fixed ideas here and resist change or suggestions from partners.

As for GPRS, if your service provider charges £30 to enable the service then change! Most now provide the service itself free and charge only for data usage with charges anywhere from £2/MB dependent on amount purchased and plans etc.
acelaoder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Allow map editing Reply with quote

Couldn't tomtom add a feature which allows you to add new roads and edit existing ones yourself. The editing of existing one would be handy as there are some roads near me that have wrong one way info and also I have found roads on tomtom that don't actually exist.

Also something that would be handy is better lane information for roads especially motorways as some of them get quite confusing when there's lots of them instead of keep left or right doesn't really help when road markings and sign aren't that clear
woody67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Allow map editing Reply with quote

acelaoder wrote:
Couldn't tomtom add a feature which allows you to add new roads and edit existing ones yourself.

Well, if they let you do this then you would never have to buy updated maps from them. Not a good commercial move.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are constrained by lecensing from the map data providers. This prevents them form making any modifications to the map data themselves.
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to a suggestion that users might submit tracks to Tomtom, Dave Burrows wrote

"They would face the same problem we face with the Safety Camera Database. How would they know that:-

1. This is a valid route
2. You didn't fly it
3. The log file wasn't manipulated and sent in from one of their competitors

It's difficult to do this, you could easily find that the maps because very inaccurate very quickly."

However, I notice that ALK specifically ask Copilot users to send them track data, which they say they find useful. Perhaps they are more trusting.
gordonh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Updating maps Reply with quote

Dave

The idea was that they would only do the update after receiving a number of tracks from multiple users. This would ensure that the tracks were as accurate as possible.

They could also include data in the file that is sent in that indicates who sent it in. If your data has a history of being correct it will hold more weigt than a first time uploader. The software could be setup to send only the new track and encrpyt it with the user details so you couldn't access the data directly, if it is indicated that the data has been modified the file is rejected.

This would ensure that the info was accurate, if there was a problem with a user uploading false data other users would soon spot it and it could be removed, this users data would then be rejected in future.

I don't think there would be the problem of people uploading false information on purpose because it'd screw up their system as well.

You wouldn't have the same problems as the Safety Camera Database because you have to actually drive a route and they would get multiple copies from multiple sources.

Gordon
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Updating maps Reply with quote

Quote:
The idea was that they would only do the update after receiving a number of tracks from multiple users. This would ensure that the tracks were as accurate as possible

road alignment may be Ok but how do you account for traffic priorities?

Quote:
I don't think there would be the problem of people uploading false information on purpose because it'd screw up their system as well.[
quote]

And we all work for Navtech/Microsoft or whoever............
Dont think any commercial supplier would allow import of data
without some sort of quality control ?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I covered the issues about users surveying roads in this thread. I know it's in the Navman forum - but it's just as appropriate to TomTom Navigator.

Those who are thinking of holding off on an upgrade because of omitted roads - as I read it, the upgrade price is only available for users who currently have TomTom Navigator 3. Whilst I understand the anger at the omission of M6 Toll, if you don't upgrade to Navigator 3, then when Navigator 4 comes along, you may well have to buy the complete package again. There's always the "Turn Guidance Off" feature if you know M6 Toll makes sense for your route.

I appreciate too that it seems potentially like a simple patch to add a road - but I suspect there's all manner of indexing and similar in the data files that would need upgrading, quite apart from the compression that Dave has already mentioned.

David
(back after an enforced one month absence)
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Allow map editing Reply with quote

acelaoder wrote:
Couldn't tomtom add a feature which allows you to add new roads and edit existing ones yourself. The editing of existing one would be handy as there are some roads near me that have wrong one way info and also I have found roads on tomtom that don't actually exist.

Even if they were allowed to do this under licensing, a recompilation would have to be done on the maps. This is why when you do map cutting from Destinator or CoPilot, you have to download the complete section again. You can't just add a smaller area and have the maps join.

ianbar wrote:
However, I notice that ALK specifically ask Copilot users to send them track data, which they say they find useful. Perhaps they are more trusting.

This is partly because ALK do extra work on the data and pull data from multiple resources and have in-house cartographers. Still you have to be 100% sure that a new road starts where it should do, otherwise the data is next to useless.

gordonh wrote:
The idea was that they would only do the update after receiving a number of tracks from multiple users. This would ensure that the tracks were as accurate as possible.

The problem here (and I'm really not trying to pick holes) is that how many people will you get driving the same routes and submitting them ? We find we don't get a lot of duplicates on the Speed Camera Database, most are unique entries. SO you could find that a lot of roads still wouldn't make it into the database. THEN you have to think what happens when they receive NavTech's or TeleAtlas's latest data, do they try and mix and merge (extremely difficult) or do they bin the data submitted ? The problem is there's no real easy answer that any of the companies are happy with. It really comes down to a logistical and licensing nightmare.

DavidW wrote:
(back after an enforced one month absence)

Good to see you back!
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: dave burrows wrote: Reply with quote

"1. You won't be able to use a Bluetooth headset (like I do). Unless your phone can support multiple Bluetooth connections (T610 can't!)"

Dave,

Do you know of any phones that DO support more than 1 simultaneous BT connections? I know that my Nokia 8910i doesn't Crying or Very sad

Ta
Clem
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, the T610 is my first BT phone, so I'm not sure. From what I've heard from others, most people only get one BT connection which is a bit pants because it means if I want to do traffic type stuff then I can't use my headset. Then again though you can't use a GPRS connection and answer calls at the same time but it would be nice for it to auto-switch.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: