Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PRESS RELEASE: TomTom Launches Navigator 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the upgrade is not available yet
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until always on fast mobile data transfers become an option, the best way would be to split the maps into many many files (rather than one big one) and automatically update every time you activesync. Obviously, it's nowhere near that simple though.

OK, so if we all lean on TomTom and get them to lean on TeleAtlas, would that do anything? Are TomTom considered a big customer to TeleAtlas? If they also store stuff like kerb-height data, etc., then I'm assuming that the potential customer base of a map provider is quite vast. However, I don't know much about this sort of thing.

Mutiple concurrent bluetooth connections is looking like something that a lot of kit might have to cope with. As is better GPRS coverage (or 3G), and simultaneous voice and GPRS connections (can't really see why the latter is an issue). My iPAQ might need to be talking to a BT GPS unit, a BT Mobile Phone and either a BT Speaker (like the new Motorola that's coming out) or a BT Headset. My phone might need to be talking to the same headset (or built in handsfree kit), whilst being controlled by host software (like RunningVoice) on the iPAQ, transferring GPRS data AND taking a Voice call. EEK!

I'd be interested to see how well TomTom copes with a dropout of GPRS data and/or a cut off and reconnection of Bluetooth to the phone. Also, is there any indication that 3G is supported? What about running it on an XDA with a built-in phone/internet connection?

I've not had the joy of using a TrafficMaster type system before, so I don't really know what level they go down to (just main roads? what types of conjestion - accidents/general traffic loads/roadworks/cows on the road? what levels of conjestion?). If anybody could point me in the right direction to learn...?

Finally, and it's probably me getting lost in the amount of data, but have TomTom announced how much their Traffic system will cost? How much is it to buy, and once the three free months is up, how much will it cost?

I'm hoping that it will be integrated well such that I don't have to run an extra app to spark it up, but I still want to easily be able to toggle it on or off to save a bit of cash...
psionman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add my impressions of the value of TT. I have been using since Christmas 2003, so I don't qualify for a special upgrade.

I don't know what people expect from software (maps are data and that's another issue). Look at the Billions we spend with M$ every year for buggy, bloated packages. On the other hand, we get a lot of functionality that (almost) works for a small amount of money (I remember pre PC word processing!). The same applies to TT. Not perfect, but you get a lot of very useful GPS functionality for a fraction of the price of built in GPS.

I wouldn't gamble my life on it, but it enhances the driving experience for me and I've genuinely found my way to places that I'd never been to before: I arrived at the predicted time (a big bonus for me as I always used to underestimate journey times and get stressed and panicky); and I didn't have to ask the way (a huge bonus for a member of the male persuasion)

The upgrade I will consider as the price for more up to date maps (they will never be perfect and I'm upset about the M6 Toll too) and way-points (which I wanted all along).

I'm glad I've got TT. I'm the envy of friends and colleagues (and the butt of endless jokes with my children).

To upgrade or not? I will; it's up to you.
Blum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Just a thought! Reply with quote

Should TT3 be called TomTomTom??????? Rolling Eyes
Cessquill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blum. Yes. Smile

"Please find information of our new product at TomTomDotCom/TomTomTom"

Oh dear.
naza
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about

Dear Tom

"Heard about the new version of tomTom, TOM? go visit TOMTOMDOTCOM to see the latest from TOMTOM the all new TOMTOMTOM be careful though you might run out of ROM for your TOMTOMTOM. If your in doubt and afraid you might BOM then why not wait for TOMTOMTOMTOM!!!!!"

Here endith the joke!

NAZA
Laughing
woody67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is definitely an element of Tomfoolery in this release Rolling Eyes
vikingsteve
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Missing Roads in TT2 & TT3 Reply with quote

Tom Tom seem to be a bit slow at updating the maps. Haltwhistle in Northumberland had a new bypass built in the mid 90s but it still doesnt appear even in TT3. Trafford Shopping Centre ring road and dual carriageway (B5214) built in the mid 90s is another one thats still missing.
Its a pain in the proverbial when your trying to plan a route and dont know the area well. Confused
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm fast mobile transfers? Now if every 2nd lampost had a wi-fi repeater and it was backed up with a major public investment such as "how do we resource manage available road transport space with expected increases in road traffic ..."

Now there's a thought :-)
dmac
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBB wrote:
Hmm fast mobile transfers? Now if every 2nd lampost had a wi-fi repeater and it was backed up with a major public investment such as "how do we resource manage available road transport space with expected increases in road traffic ..."

Now there's a thought :-)

you mean like
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/34894.html
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: TT3, PDA and GPRS Reply with quote

Am I missing something here?
Linking a PDA to the GPS receiver AND to a GPRS mobile phone (and a headset) seems tricky from all the reports.
Is this not solved by the XDA II? (I only have a cheap mobile and haven't yet got a PDA, so haven't invested in anything). It appears to have the phone and PDA happily integrated, but maybe it is missing some vital bit?

Also, unless you want to take the GPS out of the car, or have to put the receiver a long way from the PDA, isn't a hardwired system better (permanently charged, doesn't use a bluetooth channel etc)?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: