Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Gatso & Specs TBA Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Gatso & Specs TBA Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psmaley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Gatso & Specs TBA Files Reply with quote

Apologies if this has already been asked - I've had a quick scan of the subjects and didn't spot it.

I've just downloaded the UK speed zoned set for this month and unzipped it to my PDA, but there are no Gatso & Specs TBA files.

Is this because there are no cameras of this type currently 'TBA'?

As a suggestion, could a zero length file be included in cases like this to keep the number of files constant?

Regards,

Pete
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct in saying that they are not included in todays download but worse than that they did contain entries in the previous release of the database.

As they are missing from todays download I still have the old ones from March on my tomtom with entries that are presumably now wrong (there is nothing to overwrite them in todays release).

Looking back I also have a "pocketgps_uk_mobile_var.ov2" from August 2007 with an entry in it. This file does not appear in any release since then.

I think that we should have received an empty file to overwrite the old one if these categories now contain no entries?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just giving this a little bump in the hope that MaFt will notice it and provide an answer to the missing files.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, there aren't any tba's - i would suggest simply removing the old files - there's no simple way to change this at the moment

MaFt
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the contents of the previous months .ov2 files with POIEdit and it will give you an empty .ov2 to put on your device overwriting the previous one.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point being made here, to summarise, is that by NOT HAVING ANY of certain types of cameras in this month's release, MANY of us, simply download the relevant zip, and drag and drop them to OVERWRITE the existing cameras.

The problem with not having any of a certain type, and thus no corresponding file to actually do any overwriting, is that, as outlined, this will LEAVE INCORRECT CAMERAS on the device.

This is completely against the whole idea of keeping up to date.

But being realistic, this is the method the majority of us likely use when updating.

So by not having even an 'empty' file of the correct type when no cameras of that type now exist, but did once before, this means we will be left with highly incorrect data on our devices.

So the very sensible request being asked, is that when there are no cameras of a certain file in future months, can it be sorted that an empty file for that type still exists.

As having read this post over, I've just come to realise that I too now have wrong data on my device.

Can this be done MaFt, as whilst I appreciate it's more work for you, it's likely to be highly vital, as I outline.

Cheers all.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the replies. I will create empty files with Poiedit to replace the ones on the device. I don't want to remove them as it would then be unlikely that I would remember to set up warnings for them if they should reappear in a future release.

If something could be altered so that a full set of all files are provided even if some are empty then that would be a big help. I am sure that most users simply unzip the latest set of ov2 files and copy them to the device without realizing that there may be some missing, thus leaving old files on the device containing redundant entries.

Maybe one for the "to do" list.

Paul
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with pcaouolte and shadamehr...

It shouldn't have to be up to the subscribers to work out whether there are any sections missing from a particular download, they should be able to just drag and drop the whole lot every time.
Surely it isn't difficult for the system to generate a "null" file where necessary if there are no entries for a particular category (I thought every file would have the default copyright message in it anyway).

To be honest, I thought this was the way the database
DID work already!
If it doesn't, and the dummy files can't be easily created, then there should be a warning about it in that download, so people would realise they have to count the number of files every time and double check for themselves.

But I'd have thought it should be possible to always have the full file set in each download....
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was caught out and would not have realised without seeing this thread. I agree with the above so I won't repeat what they have said.

On a similar vein, is there really a pmobile in a variable speed limit (with no other variable cameras nearby) in the North-East (not saying to much in case it's a security feature)?
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fairly regular question from a TomTom newbie is "I first had the cameras last month. When I get the new ones tonight, do I need to delete the old ones before I install them?" I'm not often fast enough to reply, but I'd say exactly the same as anybody else "No. The new files will overwrite and replace the old ones."

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'd say exactly the same as anybody else "No. The new files will overwrite and replace the old ones."

So you're agreeing with us?
That advice means there MUST be all 24 files (31 if you include the pMobiles) in the speed-zoned download every time.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair comment which we'll take on board. But you're not running any risk in this case, simply getting warnings for cameras that are no longer in our 'active' database. It would be a different matter if you were not to receive warnings for camera that ARE in the database.

However I agree that we need to consider including a file with either zero entries or perhaps a single dummy camera entry if that is what's required.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
DennisN wrote:
I'd say exactly the same as anybody else "No. The new files will overwrite and replace the old ones."

So you're agreeing with us?
That advice means there MUST be all 24 files (31 if you include the pMobiles) in the speed-zoned download every time.

Sorry - Aaaaaaaard Northerner (too thick to do subtle properly and with a couple of not overwritten files myself now) agreeing with you - I couldn't be bothered to search for the last time somebody posted that reply, but I'll bet it was less than a fortnight ago.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you all used garmin, copilot7, igo then you wouldn't have the issue Laughing Laughing

i'll have a look to see if it can be coded to create the 'empty' files but i'm not sure how straightforward that will be.

as darren says, it's not a major issue - the TBA files contain known cameras with unknown speeds - if they are no longer in the TBA files then it means we have the speeds so will be in the appropriate file so you WILL get the warning still.

this has always been an issue when there were sets with no cameras in one particular release.

MaFt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
...so will be in the appropriate file so you WILL get the warning still.

I haven't got an "appropriate" file. Is that a new one? Wink

(I still haven't found the "any" key on my keyboard either!)

Edit: And there's no "appropriate" ogg file either!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: