Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new snooper sirius truckmate (HGV)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new snooper sirius truckmate (HGV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya guys, having just read all this topic i am flabbergasted at what you guys are comming out with. i have been a trucker for 30+ years. i am currently using a go700 with bridge heights from www.lowbridges.com i travel all over the uk except ireland. i have never come unstuck with a bridge, its always given me correct heights and never let me down. think about it it for a moment new low bridges dont just appear, if anything the dissappear as they get older or the road gets scooped out to raise the bridge height. yes occasionally i get routed through a housing estate but i look and say no way that is tight, so i carry on and 99.9% of the time all it did was cut the 1/4 mile corner off. come on lads you are proffessional drivers. use your brain box. its not hard.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have been a trucker for 30+ years. i am currently using a go700"

What did you use to use in the years before you had a TT700 to keep away from low bridges?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same as every driver used to do they learned there way around the country they marked bridges on maps this still happens to day

the danger is that there is a generation of drivers coming up who are clueless of how to get anywhere with out a gps system

i still use the same method today

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alix776, you are spot on. if you use an up to date road atlas £4.99 in conjunction with your satnav you wont go far wrong.
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I was trying to say was, how did you use to manage without sat-navs and a poi database in the good ole days.

To my knowledge at least, I cannot remember road atlases ever having the bridge data in them that long ago? Think you had to rely on looking out for signs and a bit of the old fashion common sense.

Regardless these strikes happen all the time, one again in the Wickford area on Friday for example!

Regs
MPW
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as said drivers built up a mental knowledge of the country and there way into towns.
no poi databases or maps needed

because of this i know theres a bridge on the way into dorchester on the shepton road thats 14 ft 6 that it you have a 14.9 trailer and 1100 mm fifth wheel and you drop the suspesion you will get under it as the bridge has a warning (triangle sign ) not a circle sign

also on the way in to barnsley from doncaster theres about 3 bridges that are all below 14 6 and there is a signed diversion

this knowledge is built up over years of driving round the country

device Lumia 950 xl
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpw, in the good ole days as you say, new truck drivers used to be like london cabby's. they learned their craft from the older guys. if you came to a low bridge we would mark its position on the road atlas with its height.
if you wre a lucky sod you the older guys would let you copy from their map. as far as bridge strikes,, i agree with you. they are far too common.
infact they should not even happen in today's world, but you will always get the idiot hgv driver/bus driver, like you get stupid car drivers. there are good and bad in every crowd. british roads are changing all the time. as for hgv deliveries,, well they are becoming more and more easier now due to fantastic ideas of indusrial estates. they are well out of the way of towns and cities. ( well some are ) when i went to the sat nav expo in edinburgh the other yeari asked tom tom about a devise for trucks. their reply was,, what a great idea,, but if some one did it had to work with no fuss and be perfect. some manufacturers have fetched them out and still they are crap. alix,, them bridges that you mention going into barnsley ( my home ) are no longer there. Laughing remember if you are an hgv driver. ITS YOUR JOB TO KNOW THE HEIGHT OF YOUR VEHICLE. its the law.
HytheMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Maps V GPS Reply with quote

Hi Guys, well what can i say about maps, to say you could travel around the country with 1 map and to put bridges on that 1 map when you come across them i find hard to believe, but maybe not impossible, to say your a bad driver if you prefer a GPS to a map book, come on, ive been driving 20 years and i had about 50 map books of different areas, i sometimes have to do a house removal in london, someone moving out of the UK, to get a 40' container into london with a map book, i would say the GPS is better but not just in london all over really, and the mapping is more up to date, and to replace 50 map books is not cheap, and to say get to an area and ask, well wild goose chase comes to mind, and ive done a few of them to, today's driving has changed its more of keeping in with the law, that is not possible with a map book in your hand, and there are less mistakes with a GPS, i work in quite a big company and i would say 95% of drivers have a GPS, 1 of them is getting near 60 and he loves his GSP(TomTom), only the ones that are to tite haven't, just to add i couldn't remember all low bridges(3500) weight limits ect, but if a company advertise something like snooper have, that it does what it says on the tin.
greggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hytheman. i am not saying that you should not use a satnav. i think everyone should have one. they are a fantastic tool, or should i say aid. i bought a tom tom 300 1 week after they came into the stores, i have a 700 now and had it for about 3 years. but what i am saying is that you must use them with common sence. thats all. no matter which company brought out a satnav for trucks, it must be capable to do what a trucker wants it to do
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right greggy, a unit designed for hgv use must be capable to do what a trucker wants it to do. Which means i wont be buying one of these hgv designed sat navs.Not untill the problems that these units have get resoved.For the time being i will stick with my low bridge,weight&width poi's or wait for the release of the garmin 465T.

Last edited by mars.1 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bigtrain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered a snooper s600 truckmate.

Wonderfull Confused

Can't wait for it to arrive.
HytheMan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Truckmate Update Reply with quote

Hi all,

Yes snooper much be reading this forum, they have update there software, so routing ect seems a big improvement, but there is still a bridge high problem, there is a bridge between westbury and melksham in wilkshire, that is over 16' but its on the system as 12', and this give routing problems now, as its on the a350 a main drag, i have emailled snooper, but we will see, and there is no truck stops on my system, and you cant install your own, unless any body knows different, snooper this would be a big plus for us lorry drivers to be able to install are own POI's, tomtom ect you can do this so there should be no excuse, also when a route is saved its saved as is, with roads avoided ect, the guys above are right, and snooper its still not 100%, you are locking it down so its not user friendly, prove me wrong guys.
dopey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No system is ever going to be 100% everyone knows this, that's why you have to be a little savvy when using them, but having said that, you would expect any system to be at least 99.5% reliable, especially when it come to such important things like low bridges, these things SHOULD negate the use of extra maps, but they don't, will they ever get better? who knows, its down to the companies that supply and do the software, until they rectify there mistakes and get there s*** together, then no, the snooper has got a lot better, and im sure will improve as time goes by, but that dose not help us all now, its a shame they don't live up to there advertising and claims, but at the end of the day all they want is your £££££££££
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the low bridge errors will be caused by map data errors not the the application so it would be upto navteq to correct the map errors

device Lumia 950 xl
ivecodave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Snooper S7000 Truckmate Reply with quote

I plucked up the courage, and raided the piggy bank and bought myself the s7000 last week. I've just returned from testing it out in France all week and have to say a big well done to Snooper. Routing, bridge heights, weights, everything absolutely spot on. Now if we could just put our own poi's on there it would be 100% perfect!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> HGV / Motorhome Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: