Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Use of SatNav in map section of a tank bag
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Use of SatNav in map section of a tank bag
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Use of SatNav in map section of a tank bag Reply with quote

Has anyone used their portable car sat nav under the clear map section on a tank bag?

e.g. I have a TomTom 910 and I don't intend to buy a bike satnav.

I'm thinking I could just stick it in there and have the basic direction display for occasional glances. I'm not worried about sound.

Do you think I'd get satellite lock on?

I know I could just try it but as yet I haven't got a tank bag!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get a sat. lock, no problems. I used to run a Garmin GPS III+, then a V, in my map pocket. Whether or not you can get a suitable viewing angle is debatable, though.
rover220
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i plan on using my one v3 on the bike too. will stck the sucker mount to the rev gauge and cover with a plastic bag if it rains.
JockRumgay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did this on a trip down to the South of France for the Rugby World Cup (great trip, not such a good game!). It was with Copilot on a PDA with a separate receiver but any satnav receiver, I would think, should be able to work through the plastic map cover on a tankbag. No problems at all with reception.

However, I really have to advise that I never had the opportunity to look down at the device itself unless I was stopped (at least not more than for 1 - 2 seconds if the road was completely clear!). I navigated on sound alone and it worked perfectly.

Don't take your eyes off the road for longer - just my tuppence worth.
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fancy a tank bag. I prefer to have my satnav mounted higher up so that I only need a quick glance at it.

Can't say I blame you not intending to buy a bike satnav. I've got a Rider and it is definitely the poor relation of the TomTom line up. I can't remember the last time the firmware had an update, and as for compatible phones, well, you can forget those. I don't subscribe to Plus services any more because I haven't got a phone old enough to work with it.

I'm seriously considering binning the Rider and mounting my 720 on the bike. The only downside would be the plastic bag trick when it rained. Well, I've done that before with a previous pda system without problems, so have no worries about doing it again.
clwydian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent got around to mounting the ttrider yet ... cling film never occured to me before...you can buy a lot of it for 150quid Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried using my Garmin i3 in the tank bag, too far from my line of site to be useful TBH. Combined a RAM mount with a part made by someone on here to bring it up near the clocks and it worked well. Since upgraded to a Quest and recently to a 2720 both of which can do proper routing and don't need a plastic bag to work in the wet.
Scotty-uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've tried 3 different ways of using my TT910.

[1] I stuck the mount on the underside of my screen and it worked. The mount was an old one that droops every few minutes and over bumps but it worked. I could fix it by putting a screw through the ball mount but it was just a test and I wasn't keen on it being up in my face.

[2] I stuck it under the clear map section of my tank bag and it worked fine. I had it set to only show the direction arrows at anything over 10 mph. This meant only a quick glance was needed to see the next action point and how far away it was.

[3] I put the TT910 on the mount but totally inside my tank bag so it wasn't visible at all. I then connected the audio out on the dock to my Autocom. It was only verbal but it seems the easiest and safest thing to do. Even in the centre of London with all the higher buildings and narrow streets and with the TT910 inside my tankbag, I still got excellant satellite lock. On the odd occasion that I'll need it, then this will be my solution. Smile
bogbody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an old ipaq based navman in this way (inside the clear bit of a tank bag) for about 2 years. I hookup a cheap pair of earphones so I can hear it inside the helmet. Works very well within the limitations of the ipaq (very very slow to get a fix, tends to crash/reboot and zero battery life!)
Most of the time I rely on the spoken commands to navagate with an occaisional glance at the screen. It took me to Berlin last year and most useful in Berlin it's self.
It's eventually been replaced with a Navman N20 (cheap!) this year.
My bike is a Honda Deauville and I've fitted a 12V power socket in the pocket of the fairing. That way I can charge camera batteries, phone or satnav on the move. Not all at the same time of course!
Dave
1ka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck my 720 in a tank bag - can't see the screen in bright sunlight, even at full brightness.

Also, the battery ran out after 90 minutes (mind you I was using bluetooth for traffic and FM for spoken navigation). I did have the screen set to off after junction and lowest brightness...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really need to consider fitting a ciggy socket power outlet to the bike then use the supplied car charger to power the 720 while in use, 90 minutes isn't too bad in terms of duration from my experiances on the battery alone - Mke
bogbody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I powered my satnav via a ciggle lighter socket in the fairing pocket. A kit is available from Honda dealers for the Deauville. Cost me just under £20.
Update on the Navman N20 in tankbag. Works well. Initialy was not loud enough with earphones but I invested in an Autocom bike intercom. Brilliant bit of kit. I can now hear it clearly up to motorway speeds.
I've found that the spoken instructions are good enough as the Navman screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight. Ok at night tho' .
The Autocom also alows things like bike to bike comms, accepting (not making!) brief "where are you" type mobile phone calls. (Answer = "on me bike, I'll call you back when Ive stopped") It's clear up to 70mph . Not been faster than that yet.
polkay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both Streetpilot III and Nuvi 300 in tankbag without any problems other then speed cameras...got over this by installing cameras with speed files giving speed limit...no need to look at screen...been olver to Europe and had no problems.

Danny
Tarby777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it with a Garmin Streetpilot i3 and it was OK... I could even hear it (a bit). Bike satnavs become hard to "read" clearly on bright days and putting one underneath a piece of shiny clear plastic makes it even worse. I tried it once and bought a Tomtom Rider 2 instead...
eddie101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a top thread!!

I'm just about to replace my sat nav and wanted an option to use on car and bike - will scrap the TomTom rider idea then - I thought from the product page that it looked way behind.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: