Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x Reply with quote

This morning, prior to the 7.481 update, I decided to take some screenshots of the differences between RDS-TMC Traffic info and the GPRS Service. Some users on the forum have been praising the latest update as having ‘fixed’ the 1 minute delay issue and the issue with the Traffic Sidebar, hopefully this will demonstrate that TomTom have still not fixed this issue.

I would like this thread to be dedicated to the RDS-TMC issues with Navcore 7, and if every user who is experiencing the same or other issues could post in here as the reports are getting spread between different threads. Hopefully this info can be relayed to TomTom and a fix be found for a Navcore 7 specific problem. (Who knows, it might exist in Navcore 8 as well????)

Firstly, I planned a route from Rossendale to Norwich, and set off down the M66. I let the RDS-TMC get a lock and pick up a signal, and after 10 miles or so pulled in near Junction 2 to take the screenshots.

As you can see, no incidents on the sidebar and no delay indicated on my route – 4hrs 19 mins journey time

So I then went in to the traffic details

3 incidents on route – so the sidebar is useless!

Lets have a look at the details and delay time for those incidents

No delay info for any of the incidents at all.

So, unplug the TMC and activate the GPRS to see if we get any difference

Mmm 6.08hrs journey time and some incidents on the sidebar with delay info – that looks like useful info!

Lets look at the details

5 incidents on route and 1 hr 48 delays – slightly more useful than the RDS summary screen

And the details

Now that is how RDS-TMC used to look with Navcore 6, delay info and a sidebar with incidents on.

Who else gets the same lack of info as this with the RDS-TMC?

Maybe you have never seen the GPRS service so don't know what you are missing, the data source is the same so the end result on the device should be the same.

Andy
billconant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife uses a One-XL-S everyday as a optician delivering glasses to nursing homes in the US. She informs me that she see the exact conditions that are laid out in the post. Never sees any info on the traffic bar or icons on the screen at an incident. She gets a verbal warning that an incdent has effected her route. She has to go into the traffic icon and see whats going on, whre she gets a verbal about the incident. She also always sees a 1 minute time delay.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, a discussion I had in a pub car park today with a nameless frequenter of this forum was along the lines of this appeared to be a UK only issue - looks like it has made its way across the pond as well.

Andy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Andy. I can confirm I get the same result with GO920T, App v7.480. With GO720 App v7.221 I go back to the slightly more useful (but still totally useless!) 1 min delay or xxx mins delay.

Your GPRS shots remind me of what I saw briefly back in December 2006 when I experienced a free month's trial of it with a new GO710. The only thing I found wrong with it was the info was no more (often less) up to date than BBC Radio 5 Live

I have tried to persuade TT to give me a GPRS subscription until they fix the RDS-TMC, but all they do is insist on me letting them have the antenna for check/repair. As soon as this thread gets a few more confirmations, I'll try them again, with a link here.

I can't say how it goes with v7.481 - I'm not downloading that until Mike says so!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Your GPRS shots remind me of what I saw briefly back in December 2006 when I experienced a free month's trial of it with a new GO710. The only thing I found wrong with it was the info was no more (often less) up to date than BBC Radio 5 Live
And the v6 software still works in the same way it always did, ok the information could be better but that is a different issue. The simple fact is TomTom devices using Navcore 7 software in the UK do not work as they should do.

Andy's post has illustrated this very well, I will dig through some screen shot folders on the PC as I have hundreds of captures mostly RDS-TMC related.

I would like to see others post their experiences re RDS-TMC since the v7,481 (or for that matter any version 7 software, as a one minute delay is as bad as no delay at all) - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLIGHTLY Off Topic in one regard, but still relevant...

The OTHER Thing about the new update(s) that I keep flagging up with TomTom...

Andy, I suspect your screenshots were done, when you say with a prior version, using v7.480, and NOT 7.221, the prior "stable" version.

I say this because your screenshots clearly show one of the OTHER bugs that .480 and even now, .481 introduce...

"Clear Coloured Lane Indications"

That is, in many of your screenshots above, you will see incidents on the mpa shown with a clear, plain GREY lane.

If you did this whole experiment with version 7.221 they would not be the useless grey - they would be BLUE for Lane Restrictions or Closures, and AMBER for Roadworks Related Issues.

Another bug of .480 AND now .481 is that when zoomed to around mid-zoom, the normal usable level, Traffic Congestion issues now do not show a symbol on the map, whilst all OTHER incident types DO show the warning symbol.

Zoom further down however, and then suddenly the "Queuing cars" Warning Triangle does appear.

For this reason, I am considering going back yet again to 7.221 'til TomTom finally get their fingers out their er, you know what, and actually put this right.
PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to confirm i am having the same problem as AndyVaughan described. I was coming down on the A1 from Scotland yesterday, there were problems around the metro centre. I had to Tap the Status bar, then tap show Traffic on route, then click through the traffic incidents and decide whether i need to replan. (not very safe really) - with RDSTMC

I do have a GPRS connection as well and i can't pair my phone (O2 Graphite) with the .480 version, it has paired before but i deleted the connection. Maybe this is another bug no-one else has found yet.

i am just backing up as i type then i will try .481

Pete
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeteT wrote:
I would like to confirm i am having the same problem as AndyVaughan described. I was coming down on the A1 from Scotland yesterday, there were problems around the metro centre. I had to Tap the Status bar, then tap show Traffic on route, then click through the traffic incidents and decide whether i need to replan. (not very safe really) - with RDSTMC

I do have a GPRS connection as well and i can't pair my phone (O2 Graphite) with the .480 version, it has paired before but i deleted the connection. Maybe this is another bug no-one else has found yet.

i am just backing up as i type then i will try .481

Pete

(Joking)

You do not need TomTom Traffic for notifying you of Issues around the Metrocentre.

Trust me, as it's out my back door in Dunston, the A1 along that stretch is ALWAYS jammed.

Getting back serious however, honestly, I sit at work around 5.30 in Newcastle City Centre each day, and to pass the time, I check on Traffic (mine's Wireless), and EVERY weekday, during that time, it always shows a delay of around 43 minutes (for a three or four mile stretch max this is) in one direction, and also at least a 25 minute delay the other way.

We have a TWO lane dual carriageway, that is the main trunk road from London to Scotland on this side of the country, built in 1973, that was already over capacity by 1978, and now serving the highly populated urban areas of Gateshead, Newcastle and wider Tyneside.

As it cuts everything in half, rather than build new roads for LOCAL traffic back in the day, instead local traffic is directed onto the already bursting road, at one junction, to come off at the next, to continue the onwards local journey, pretty much along the whole length in Newcastle and Gateshead. This makes the problem even worse.

Add to this, that at Rush Hour, you have the many many tens of thousands of cars fro the Team Valley Industrial Estate (still the biggest in the country) trying to get out onto it.

And then they build the Metrocentre Shopping Centre, still the biggest in the country, right alongside it (120,000 visitors on each Saturday or Sunday each week alone).

Yet our wonderful Government says it doesn't need upgrading.

Yeah right.

A few year back I once travelled from Epping, in Essex, all the way up home, some 298 miles nearly, without (luckily) an issue in sight, and in good time indeed.

Then I reached the Angel Of The North, some three miles from my home, and bumper to bumper traffic as usual, and it took me nearly another entire hour just to do the last three miles home.

Go figure.

Sorry, going too off topic, apologies.
gluey
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have the gprs traffic and the tmc traffic.
gprs works as mentioned above and tmc does nothing really.

No sign of anything on the side bar. You need to look in the traffic menu to see any thing on route and never gives any delays or offers a reroute.
Iam back to 7.221 as the last two versions are a joke.
Kev
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Mapshare Patch Distribution is temporally unavailable Reply with quote

Please ignore, replied instead of new post Embarassed
pbrace
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had a problem with the upgrade to V4.820. After this and many other problems with a 520 I decided to try a 720. It was supplied with 7.221 and the traffic on map appeared correctly with coloured animated areas indicating the severity of the problem. I upgraded to 7.481 and now they are all grey and no delay time shown at all. I have also lost half the icons in the traffic menu. I have sent the following to TomTom, I will let you know the result.
---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your response, however matters have moved on. I obtained a replacement for the 520 as there were other problems with it. I now have a 720T. Spurred on with confidence as a result of your message I foolishly allowed the 720 to update itself from 7.221 to 7.481. It now exhibits exactly the same problems that the updated 520 did, namely:

Traffic is no longer working correctly - Today there was 1 incident on my route and although it showed the picture for this this no delay was displayed and no re route could be calculated as it did not know what the expected delay was.

Also in map view the traffic jams are now only shown in grey and not with the animated "caterpillar" showing the direction and severity of the jam.

In the menus I have lost all of the RDS-TMC options with the Traffic menu now only comprising one screen of Minimize delays, Show home work traffic, Show traffic on route, Browse map, Change traffic preferences and Read aloud traffic info.

I have also lost Show version in the main menu.

I also today received an error message after planning a route indicating there was a problem saving, I think, Map data.

I have not done anything else to the system and it was working perfectly before the update.

I do not have a SD cards in the unit and I also do not have any map codes as the only maps that I have are those provided with the system. I am therefore loath to run the utility you refer to.

Clearly there is a significant problem with the latest version of your software and I would be grateful if you can advise me how I can revert to version 7.221.

Paul Brace
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i had the 7.48 and reverted to 7.221, but was tempted to try the 7.481 last night, and today contrary to other peoples experiences the tmc not only indicated a delay of 12 mins in the sidebar but showed the icon correctly. I indicated all incidents for me today perfectly. though i am sure the data is somewhat different from the gps version earlier pointed out, however, I can say it performed as well as 7.221 and never lost signal whilst updating real traffic reports Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK gardenshed you've tempted me. I shall give 7.481 a whirl and if it doesn't do the RDS-TMC business, it'll be your fault (NOT I hasten to add, TomTom's!). Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using 481 here after a few days with 221. Drove about 500 miles using 221, plenty of incidents but not one delay time indication and only showed an icon on the driving screen when there was only one incident. Any more and it didn't show any. With 481, no different i.e. no worse or better. Got the standard tomtom reply, I'll update them with some more facts when their question system starts working.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
well i had the 7.48 and reverted to 7.221, but was tempted to try the 7.481 last night, and today contrary to other peoples experiences the tmc not only indicated a delay of 12 mins in the sidebar but showed the icon correctly. I indicated all incidents for me today perfectly. though i am sure the data is somewhat different from the gps version earlier pointed out, however, I can say it performed as well as 7.221 and never lost signal whilst updating real traffic reports Wink

Can you get some screenshots of this please and post them?

The more data we can collate about this issue the better. Also, what map and version are you using just in case that makes any difference.

Thanks
Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: