Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Site Posting Time/Clock Wrong...?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Site Posting Time/Clock Wrong...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Site Posting Time/Clock Wrong...? Reply with quote

Have done a search on "site clock wrong" but only returned three unrelated hits.

So just a quick query, as I am sure to be the idiot that hasn't read properly somewhere...

But are we aware that the posting time clock is off by twenty odd minutes or so.

As I am assuming it's not just my regional settings wrong?

This, for example, was posted at 12:32, though I suspect it will say around 12:13
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Try forum clock slow. I put time in there as well. But next time somebody should find one of these threads.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64371
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Hmmm. Try forum clock slow. I put time in there as well. But next time somebody should find one of these threads.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64371

You IDIOT!

You should have called it:

"Site Clock Wrong" and then I would have found your thread *Laughing Out Loud*

More seriously though (i.e. that was humour only), I was just indicating I didn't just wade straight in - I took the time to search first, which is all I would ask of any user. If the term they used didn't find a relevant existing page, I can live with that, as long as they DID try a search first.

*Laughing Out Loud*
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
More seriously though (i.e. that was humour only), I was just indicating I didn't just wade straight in - I took the time to search first, which is all I would ask of any user. If the term they used didn't find a relevant existing page, I can live with that, as long as they DID try a search first.

I did appreciate that you had searched first. My "Hmmm" was me thinking about the words I had used. Just shows how different people say the same thing.

The other consideration though is the forum you posted the question in. You posted in "News and Latest Information - What's new in the world of GPS", whereas I posted in "Guestbook and Feedback - Like the site? How can we improve?" As it was a site issue rather than a GPS issue I posted it there. If you'd looked there it's the fourth thread down.

Diff'rent strokes...
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

I did appreciate that you had searched first. My "Hmmm" was me thinking about the words I had used. Just shows how different people say the same thing.

The other consideration though is the forum you posted the question in. You posted in "News and Latest Information - What's new in the world of GPS", whereas I posted in "Guestbook and Feedback - Like the site? How can we improve?" As it was a site issue rather than a GPS issue I posted it there. If you'd looked there it's the fourth thread down.

Diff'rent strokes...

So my next question is again in a similar vein to the first - how did you FIND the sub-forum?

AGAIN, I had looked for some relevant sub-forum, but again never spotted the one you used.

So "Latest Information" did it for me as next best option. I didn't notice the sub-text of what it is for - just took the view that with no other suitable sub-forum, then "Latest Information" was the best I could find that was generic enough.

So you win that prize too matey *Laughing Out Loud*
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move the thread as it's not really suited here.

It is slow, we are aware and as was explained in the other thread, the hassle involved in correcting it means I rarely bother. Gawd knows what clocks they are using though as whenever I do request a change it quickly loses time in the coming few weeks until it's about 17mins out! Now how the he** can that happen Confused
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
So my next question is again in a similar vein to the first - how did you FIND the sub-forum?

AGAIN, I had looked for some relevant sub-forum, but again never spotted the one you used.

So "Latest Information" did it for me as next best option. I didn't notice the sub-text of what it is for - just took the view that with no other suitable sub-forum, then "Latest Information" was the best I could find that was generic enough.

Well, what can I say? ALWAYS read the small print.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the clocks change at the weekend, the PGPSW clock will be even further out because it works on GMT, not BST.

As long as you don't go setting all your clocks by it, it shouldn't be a problem - just a rough indication as to when something was posted
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
When the clocks change at the weekend, the PGPSW clock will be even further out because it works on GMT, not BST.

As long as you don't go setting all your clocks by it, it shouldn't be a problem - just a rough indication as to when something was posted

That's only true if you omit to update the Timezone in your profile.

I'll be posting a reminder Saturday evening to prompt you to adjust your Timezone profile to GMT +1 before you go to bed Smile

From

To

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Darren, you're right - but the main PGPSW clock only works on GMT doesn't it?

This is what I was referring to.

Drifting slightly, I was once told that GPS clocks are more accurate than those controlled by a radio signal from Rugby, so it's slightly ironic that the clock controlling the best web site in the world (probably, sorry Messrs Berg and Carls Cool) is so inaccurate
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Yes, Darren, you're right - but the main PGPSW clock only works on GMT doesn't it?

Not sure which clock you are referring to? There is only one clock so to speak, and that is the clock on the server we use.

All times are based on that?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Search for "site AND clock" will reveal a selection of eras ...
when the clock was right ...
when to change it ...
and when to wind it up.

Oh, and also the variety of forums in which the subject has appeared. Twisted Evil (Another one coming next Monday)

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Oh, and also the variety of forums in which the subject has appeared. Twisted Evil (Another one coming next Monday)

If you can be so sure - could you also PM me the winning numbers for tonight and Saturday?

I think I've confused myself because I've never changed my time zone Embarassed
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Not sure which clock you are referring to? There is only one clock so to speak, and that is the clock on the server we use.

All times are based on that?

I would expect the server to be taking it's time from an NTP (Network Time Protocol) server which would take it's time from the radio signal from Rugby or wherever it is now. Confused

There must be something strange going on at the server farm but I just think of it as PGPSW time now. Very Happy
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I would expect the server to be taking it's time from an NTP (Network Time Protocol) server which would take it's time from the radio signal from Rugby or wherever it is now. Confused

Not sure where it went but anyway we use US hosted servers so Rugby or RugbyMkII would be a little too far although it could explain the 17min delay!!
Quote:
There must be something strange going on at the server farm but I just think of it as PGPSW time now. Very Happy

I like that, kinda like Chicco Time Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: