Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Airport Security
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Airport Security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdhazell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Airport Security Reply with quote

I'm off to the US tomorrow. Does anyone have any idea if I'm allowed to carry my TomTom in my hand luggage or should it go in my hold luggage? I'd rather have it in my hand luggage so I can pop it into my hire car when I get there without having to turn out suitcases.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not sure if any of the security arrangements have been changed of late.

Thanks,

Mark
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I went to the States I took three satnavs in my hand luggage. When leaving Florida I was asked to turn them all on to prove what they were but, other than that, nothing to report.
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do NOT want valuable items in checked luggage.

When I flew to Europe this summer I had my garmin gps, creative mp3 player, noise cancelling headphones, camera and various chargers and adapters and had no trouble carrying that stuff on the flight and no trouble coming back with it. US-Amsterdam-Munich and security at all posts.

I did get stopped leaving the US. He accused me of having liquid and I had dumped my water bottle and other liquid items in the little baggie. He insisted and we unpacked my bags - YUP - Peptobismo (for potential bowel issues!!!!). I forgot I threw that in at the last moment. He let it through!!!
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have no problem carrying electrical goods on board the plane.
You'll probably be asked to power them up so make sure the battery is charged up at least a little bit.
I've carried no end of electrical stuff over on trips to the USA and never had a problem at either end with any of it.

Try and carry some liquids though...... thats a whole different story !! Rolling Eyes

I'd echo the comments by F2, as you may have to leave your hold luggae unlocked unless you get soem TSA approved locks for your baggage.

Cheers and have a good trip

Gavin
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're fine with a GPS on the plane. I normally have a pocket full of gadgets when I travel.

Try switching it on while you are flying for a bit of extra entertainment. (Hold it near the window, it may take a few minutes extra to get a fix)
Toneloc427
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satnav's are still fine when travelling by air in the US, but loads of other things aren't; be sure to check the latest listings at www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

Also, I wouldn't recommend turning it on and holding it near the window; although entirely passive and non-interfering, the airlines tend to fown upon GPS information being collected during flight due to the potential security threats, i.e. communicating your exact position to someone on the ground or tracking the flight path for future reference.

Safe travels!
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just returned from a trip from there and had no problems carrying mine onboard
i235rider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
When I go on a flight I have a carry-on bag that's like Curry's inside, Wires, Chargers, Batteries, Camera's, Laptop, Sat Nav, you name it, it's in.

It always gets a second look as it goes through the X-ray machine, but never been stop to take anything out or refused items to take on.

Cheers
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toneloc427 wrote:
Satnav's are still fine when travelling by air in the US, but loads of other things aren't; be sure to check the latest listings at www.tsa.gov/travelers/index.shtm

They appear to be much more liberal than in the UK. Here they will confiscate things like nail clippers or those tiny scissors you use to cut you nails...

Toneloc427 wrote:
airlines tend to fown upon GPS information being collected during flight due to the potential security threats

Yes, but they also believe that fingernail clippers and water can be used as a weapon of mass distruction. Laughing

There is a list of airlines which allow or disallow GPS receivers to be used.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/airgps/airgps.htm

In practice they it's unlikely you will have a problem and the worst that wil happen is that you are asked to switch it off.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

They appear to be much more liberal than in the UK. Here they will confiscate things like nail clippers or those tiny scissors you use to cut you nails...

But once you've passed through the security checks, you can then walk into a branch of W.H.Smith and buy those craft knives with snap-off blades!!
Makes a mockery of the whole sorry charade...
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I travelled back from Miami - Heathrow with American Airlines on friday morning and used my GPS while flying. Although no map data was available over the atlantic, it DOES give you your position in coordinates and your speed. I reached about 611mph at one point. Once i reached the far south west of the UK map, i could see my progress on the map all the way to heathrow. No one said anything to me.

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About to try the same in the morning..... Smile
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my TomTom to the US last year. Carried it in hand luggage with no problems. I did try using on the plane near the window but couldn't pick up a signal.
LQA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took mine through Dulles, Washington and Newark, NY never any problem. All the extra cable i put in my main luggage.

To be honest with all the computer cables in my main luggage I am suprised they didn't have a fit.

LQA
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get a window seat on the way out, but today I tracked our entire flight back from Valencia to Heathrow on my 720.
It seemed to need to be reasonably near the window to get first lock, but once locked I could just have it in my lap for most of the time. Got a nice track line of favourites along the route now.

It seemed a bit shocked to be cruising at 480-500 mph though!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: