Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live 7 Review Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live 7 Review Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Very odd, So you can switch from QWERTY to ABCDE but it still shows numbers?

I'll ask one of my colleagues who has the O2 version to check if they can repeat that on their version.
My unit shows numbers and letters irrespective of the keyboard type selected, all three modes have a mixture of alpha/ numeric characters - version is 7.0.6.139 which has an O2 splash screen as the application launches so I guess it is specific to O2 devices?

Richard, I am sure Darren has mentioned the software is running on his XDA Exec which is a VGA device - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichDem wrote:
Hi Darren,

Great review, do you know if VGA devices are supported?

Thanks

Richard

Yes, I conducted the test using an XDA Exec which is a VGA device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonno wrote:
I read your review with interest Darren. You guys must have a different version of CPL7 up there in the northern hemisphere to us down here in Australia, because all I can say is CPL7 is a huge disappointment for which we existing users have had to pay for and received very little in return. One correspondent on one of the local forum sites here described it as a 'Yabbie' (a small native freshwater lobster) all shell and no substance. What your review failed to mention is a lot of the functionality that CPL7 doesn't have were functions of previous versions, eg. text-to-speech, support for custom POIs, man we don't even have CPL7 supported safety camera warnings.

My review is one of the product as it exists, I cannot compare to previous versions as I have no knowledge or experience of them.

However, support for custom POIs is indeed a glaring omission and one I am embarrassed to admit I failed to spot. Indeed a number of my colleagues have been evaluating this software and I don't think anyone has raised this issue. As I have been on record as saying full custom POI support is a 'must have' on any new device then I ought to have spotted this. TTS is not a 'must have' in my opinion and not something I miss.
Quote:
In addition to this I have to say CPL7 is less than stable. I'm running CPL7 on a Dell Axim X51v with WM5. It crashes not infrequently. CPL7 will not tolerate the PDA being turn off or put to sleep while it is still running (that's a sure method to cause a crash) requiring a soft restart. I am using an external BT receiver I purchased as part of CPL6. CPL7 frequently can't find the BT receiver (and always after a soft reset) requiring a search and re-establishment of a pair.

I have just tested this and have to admit that there is is indeed an issue if you put the device to sleep whilst CoPilot is running. I had not noticed this whilst testing but I have always been in the habit of exiting a GPS app before putting the device to sleep, old habits! Never the less this should not happen.
Quote:
When set to automatic day/night mode switching, the day mode switch doesn't occur until after 11 am and night until after 9.00 pm. There are also a number of other bugs associated with the displays. In addition to this, the upgrade was supplied with Navteq maps that were 18 months old, hugely out-of-date and full of erroneous data eg. directing the driver to veer left or right on straight sections of road as well as at intersections which for the uninitiated is downright dangerous.

My copy switches from day to night and vice versa at the correct sunset/sunrise times. The map data I have is Q1 2007. Map issues are an entire subject on their own.
Quote:
All of these issues have been sent to ALK and ALK's representative here in Australia where we have received either no or a 'sometime maybe never' response. It is my view that TTS and custom POIs (this was functionality that we paid for in previous releases) will not be fixed until CPL8 is released, another upgrade I'm sure we'll be asked to pay for. The really frustrating thing about all of this is that CPL could be an absolute killer of an application if due attention was given to the problems it has, some of them which were present in previous release and still haven't been fixed, rather than focusing on the tinsel.

I will address some of the issues you have raised with ALK UK and update you with the response I receive.

In the meantime I will check with my colleagues regarding the sleep bug and the lack of support for Custom POIs.

One of the huge benefits of reviews in forums such as ours is the ability for users to discuss such errors or omissions in the coverage. Any review is always a huge task and invariably some areas get overlooked.

However, If the sleep bug is present on other devices and the custom POI support is missing then I will update the review and the conclusions will be modified accordingly.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with the main findings of this review. This version of CoPilot is indeed much improved from V6, and is getting as good as if not better than TomTom.

ALKs customer service team is much better than TomTom always very helpful and polite, and do come back quickly with a solution. Where tomtom have stopped updating their software for PDA's.

In addition you can import custom POI's in .CSV format and also TOMTOM POI format. Please see this link for more info.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you CAN add custom poi's - either in csv or ov2 format - although the implementation is poor... you can'tsplit them into groups / set icons etc...

have you tried the PGPSW speed camera download for australia? it's provided in csv format which allows for heading data to be used (where we have it) so you will only be alerted by cameras on your side of the road

MaFt
nonno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Darren. Yes I am aware you can import third-party safety camera POIs and have them function in a limited way, however as in previous versions of CPL a user could create a set of custom POIs not necessarily associated with safety cameras. This you cannot do in CPL7. As a long time user of CPL it is my view first and foremost any upgrade should preserve functionality of previous versions. CPL7 does not do this in a number of areas, areas that I think are critical to the function of a GPS program. I agree, CPL is in essence better than TomTom after all that's the reason I bought in the first place. Whether it is or isn't is irrelevant when you look at the product specification for CPL7. It states quite clearly, TTS is a function as it was in previous versions, it states it has the capacity to use custom POIs, but in reality it doesn't. Your review didn't acknowledge that either. That's my beef. If the product does what the specification says it should then this would be the best on-road GPS solution available.
bobmelia
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: copilot 7 Reply with quote

Sad I have just purchased copilot 7 and very disappointed indeed. i had problems with the software from day one and alk did not want to know. took the money and ran. the speech was that low i could not hear it. the maping was great and alot better. However it pulled me off and on the motorways for no reason. off at a junction only to put me back on the motorway at the same junction. the speed cameras would not work without having to reinstall them nearly every time i switched it on. It as big problems working with your contacts and this they knew about. they told me that it is a problem they are working on and that i needed to re- type all my contacts again.

in the end i returned the product to them and reverted back to copilot 6. though not brillant it works and works ten fold better than seven. I will look again at 7 when it's been out about 12 months. complete let down to me. and as a professional driver I have found others with the same problems. and the same un-helpfull attitude from ALK.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob what device are you using

alk support is usually very help ful did you report the off on motorways to alk

were you using a custom routing profile.

the speed camera issue is somthing ive not seen at all in cp7

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoumiaConsulting wrote:
Fellwalker wrote:
I am interested that you say Copilot 7 routed you the way that you expected.
I got rid of 6 because its routing was rubbish. Apart from that, I liked it more than TomTom. For example, coming down the M1 from the North, going to London City airport, it routed me along the old A1. Several hours, hundreds of traffic lights later, we got there. A friend had TOmTOm so we did some comparison routings. In every case that a town or city was involved, Copilot routed through, whereas TomTOm routed the sensible way. I had set Copilot up to favour dual carriageways, so it was not that.

TomTom, which I had avoided like the plague, routed me round the M25 and in the M11, which I found is the route recommended by the airport itself. When we next came down, it was an hour quicker.

Nearer to home, from one side of Middlesbrough to the other, Copilot 6 took me through the centre - on A roads, but in traffic and with lights and 30mph limits. TomTom takes me round via dual carriageways, saving 20 minutes on a typical day.

I just fired up CP7 and asked for a route from Newcastle Upon tyne to City airport. No changes to my default setup.

From the M1 the itinerary ran:

M1 135.9
Left M25 24.0
Left M11 8.0
Left A406 (North Circular Road) 5.2
Right A13 (Newham Way) 1.9
Left Unnamed Road 0.1
Right Tollgate Road 0.1
Left Prince Regent Lane (A112) 0.8
Left Connaught Road (A1011) 0.1
Right Connaught Road (A1011) 0.1
Left Hartmann Road 0.4
London City SE18

If you want me to try any particular route round Boro then let me know. As an example though, I tried Redcar-Darlo and it routed me on the A66. Hartlepool City Centre to Yarm went A689-A19-A66-Yarm Road.

Marcus

Cheers Marcus. i lost my link to this post and just found it again.

The M1 M25 M11 route is what should have been, so that has been fixed in CP7.
My route was M1, J2 to Barnet bypass A1, A501, A5201, A11, A1011. It assumed I could do 30 on the A roads through London.

My route was Norton to the Total garage at Marton, which goes A19, A1032, A66, A172, and claims 15 minutes. At midnight, with no traffic, maybe but still not that fast... more like 20 minutes, 30 during the day. Everyone I know, and TomTom, goes A19 A174, and up the A172. In CP6, that shows as 2 miles longer and 18 minutes. But it shows 5 miles on the A19 as ~9 mins. If it were rush hour, that would be 20 mins, other times of day more likely 5 mins.
Bluechablis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Buyer beware Reply with quote

I tried CoPilot after reading an article's recommendation. I had trouble installing it and ended up accidentally paying for two licenses through no fault of my own. Certain software features advertised did not work and I was unable to get any response from their tech support. Finally after a week I get email from them saying that they don't have to refund the extra $30 that I paid for the program because I had activated it. I would not recommend this product or this company.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: