Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live 7 Review Now Available
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live 7 Review Now Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoumiaConsulting
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
I am interested that you say Copilot 7 routed you the way that you expected.
I got rid of 6 because its routing was rubbish. Apart from that, I liked it more than TomTom. For example, coming down the M1 from the North, going to London City airport, it routed me along the old A1. Several hours, hundreds of traffic lights later, we got there. A friend had TOmTOm so we did some comparison routings. In every case that a town or city was involved, Copilot routed through, whereas TomTOm routed the sensible way. I had set Copilot up to favour dual carriageways, so it was not that.

TomTom, which I had avoided like the plague, routed me round the M25 and in the M11, which I found is the route recommended by the airport itself. When we next came down, it was an hour quicker.

Nearer to home, from one side of Middlesbrough to the other, Copilot 6 took me through the centre - on A roads, but in traffic and with lights and 30mph limits. TomTom takes me round via dual carriageways, saving 20 minutes on a typical day.

I just fired up CP7 and asked for a route from Newcastle Upon tyne to City airport. No changes to my default setup.

From the M1 the itinerary ran:

M1 135.9
Left M25 24.0
Left M11 8.0
Left A406 (North Circular Road) 5.2
Right A13 (Newham Way) 1.9
Left Unnamed Road 0.1
Right Tollgate Road 0.1
Left Prince Regent Lane (A112) 0.8
Left Connaught Road (A1011) 0.1
Right Connaught Road (A1011) 0.1
Left Hartmann Road 0.4
London City SE18

If you want me to try any particular route round Boro then let me know. As an example though, I tried Redcar-Darlo and it routed me on the A66. Hartlepool City Centre to Yarm went A689-A19-A66-Yarm Road.

Marcus
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from what i have read so far, i take it the routing is still not very good or it is?

I'm looking to upgrade from TT6, and I quite liked the idea of live tracking as I'm off to Holland and Germany in May with our son and want the other half to track us on the way.

Plus in April we're off to the O2 Arena, this is all from Lowestoft.

So i'm a little worried that the routing compared to TT6 is not as expected and will send us into chaos!

The review is an excellent read and sounds brilliant, the reviewer said that the routing was as he expected.

Any views Guys & Gals?
Crazymeg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a great review. I am a user of CoPilot 7 and think its excellent and a great improvement over the previous generations.

I noticed in your review the comment about:

"The usual 2D and 3D display options are present as well as a nice feature which allows you to have 3D for the main display with the view switching to 2D as you approach a turn. Often it is much simpler to visualise a complex junction in 2D mode and this feature is a novel solution to that problem"

I cannot find how to enable this as it looks useful. Can you advise on this...Thanks
Andy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That feature can be enabled in:

Menu -> Settings -> Driver Safety -> Map Type

Here you can chose to switch to an alternative view from the chosen one when approaching a turn. Even the distance at which this occurs is configurable. It's a very nice feature. I tend to use 3D most of the time but I like the option to switch to 2D on the approach to turns.

I should also add (and will update the review) that CP7 is fully Landscape switchable and I'll post a few screen-shots of it in landscape format.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren - excellent review - thank you.

I am contemplating a change from TT5/6 to CPL7. My main problem with TT has always been the routing because I have a Motor Caravan and the tendency to take me into silly B roads is not helpful and the inability to avoid them whilst route planning is a shortcoming ( you used to be able to program road speeds in TT3 ish but that feature disappeared sadly). What I need is a 'avoid small roads' type option - or 'stick to major roads' or whatever. Is thee anything in CPL which might help me in this.

I am aware of the Navteq 'Transport' system which brings road widths etc into the routing algorithms and I am aware that ALK are bringing out a version of CoPilot which uses the 'Transport' data base. This will solve the problem completely. I am interested to hear if you have any 'inside knowledge' of whether that will be shipped as an upgrade to CPL or if it will be a new product completely? and when?

Roy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roy,

In the Vehcile Type setting you can choose RV. Addittionally you can configure the custom profile and all the options open to you are in this image:

I cannot comment on ALK's future plans in respect of the Transport data but I would hope this will be available as an upgrade to existing users. You must appreciate that this would require new map data with the Transport layers and an updated application so it wouldn't be a cheap upgrade.

However if ALK can get this to market quickly they will steal a march on their competitors. ALK have a great deal of experience in the transport sector, it is where they started out in the US after all so I have high hopes.
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren - Thank you for that.

On some systems I have seen the RV mode simply avoids too many right turns , which is useful but not a complete solution. Are you aware of whether this does more?

On the 'Transport' product , I have since had it on pretty good authority that it is unlikely that it will be launched as a CPL upgrade but rather as a professional product. That is the reason I am stalling on buying really but maybe CPL7 with the features you identified will be a more cost effective solution for the next few years - while they sort out the Transport stuff.

Thanks again

Roy
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the routing good or bad compared to TT6?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane-1970 wrote:
So is the routing good or bad compared to TT6?

I find it good. I have yet to be presented with a route I would consider odd or incorrect.
Shane-1970
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren,

It was an excellent review with some great pic's!
Then again all the reviews are normally spot on! Wink

Oh just a word on their support / sales line.

I phoned them up today after reading Darrens review and they answered within 4 rings, the chap i spoke to was polite, precise and answered all my Q's.

Which beats TT hands down! As their support is pretty non existant to be honest only supporting by email which takes ages to be answered!

So i'm now looking to change from TT6 to CP7 Live!
Si
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren, Thanks for your reply, so to provide a constant and always checkable current position in effect you have to be permanently connected by mobile ? that could get pretty expensive !! Have I understood that correctly, not sure what a data access is , is that the same cost as browsing the internet on a mobile , or is it something else. (All I use my mobile for is making phone calls, though I know it will also browse the net at a considerable cost per minute) Please could you clarity what data access is.
Thanks Regards, Si.

Darren wrote:
You need data access, either using a PDA/Phone or by connecting your mobile to a suitable phone with data access via Bluetooth.

if you can browse the web on your PDA then it'll work Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot's Live feature can be configured to restrict the polling interval. By default it sends a position report every 15 minutes but this can be changed from 1 min to 60 min intervals.

This will keep costs down but GPRS data can still an expensive business, depending on contract and carrier it can be anywhere from £2 - £6 per MB. I don't have precise figures for how much data is sent during every position report but would expect it will be in the order of a few tens of kilobytes at most. In which case 1Mb of data would take a long time to consume.

Assuming each report was 20k that would give you approximately 500 reports for 1 MB of data.
Si
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren, That's pretty good then , and makes it definitely a reasonable proposition for me. Thanks a lot for your very helpful and informative reply.

All the best, Si.
nonno
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your review with interest Darren. You guys must have a different version of CPL7 up there in the northern hemisphere to us down here in Australia, because all I can say is CPL7 is a huge disappointment for which we existing users have had to pay for and received very little in return. One correspondent on one of the local forum sites here described it as a 'Yabbie' (a small native freshwater lobster) all shell and no substance. What your review failed to mention is a lot of the functionality that CPL7 doesn't have were functions of previous versions, eg. text-to-speech, support for custom POIs, man we don't even have CPL7 supported safety camera warnings.

In addition to this I have to say CPL7 is less than stable. I'm running CPL7 on a Dell Axim X51v with WM5. It crashes not infrequently. CPL7 will not tolerate the PDA being turn off or put to sleep while it is still running (that's a sure method to cause a crash) requiring a soft restart. I am using an external BT receiver I purchased as part of CPL6. CPL7 frequently can't find the BT receiver (and always after a soft reset) requiring a search and re-establishment of a pair.

When set to automatic day/night mode switching, the day mode switch doesn't occur until after 11 am and night until after 9.00 pm. There are also a number of other bugs associated with the displays. In addition to this, the upgrade was supplied with Navteq maps that were 18 months old, hugely out-of-date and full of erroneous data eg. directing the driver to veer left or right on straight sections of road as well as at intersections which for the uninitiated is downright dangerous.

All of these issues have been sent to ALK and ALK's representative here in Australia where we have received either no or a 'sometime maybe never' response. It is my view that TTS and custom POIs (this was functionality that we paid for in previous releases) will not be fixed until CPL8 is released, another upgrade I'm sure we'll be asked to pay for. The really frustrating thing about all of this is that CPL could be an absolute killer of an application if due attention was given to the problems it has, some of them which were present in previous release and still haven't been fixed, rather than focusing on the tinsel.
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Great review, do you know if VGA devices are supported?

Thanks

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: