Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satsync
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satsync

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notmyname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Satsync Reply with quote

I am a very new user – first trip today with Satmap. Initially I am using it, on our well known local walks to get the hang of the controls – I have a question please and an observation
My understanding is that with Satsync loaded on my PC I could connect Satmap and copy files to my pc and look at today’s walk – both route and log.
I have Vista Ultimate, SatSync loaded ok and in the left hand column I have mytrack 1.map, mytrack 1.gpx and a track.gpx file and my map file in the right hand column

Windows couldn’t open any of these files.Am I right in thinking I need a 3rd party software in order to be able to view Satmap routes and maps on my PC? – if so which one. It seems to say that if I use Memory Map it won’t import height information. I am not at the “planning routes stage” yet but it will come

Manual – I have downloaded and printed the service Manual – (another tree bites the dust) – the manual is actually A5 landscape – printed on A4 what a waste of paper. My impression is that their manuals are not user friendly to a complete novice to these devices – but are they ever?

I have looked through the many forum messages relating to Satsync Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but cant find a definitive answer

Regards Alan
chrisgad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Satsynk Reply with quote

notmyname wrote:
I am a very new user – first trip today with Satmap. Initially I am using it, on our well known local walks to get the hang of the controls – I have a question please and an observation
My understanding is that with Satsync loaded on my PC I could connect Satmap and copy files to my pc and look at today’s walk – both route and log.
I have Vista Ultimate, SatSync loaded ok and in the left hand column I have mytrack 1.map, mytrack 1.gpx and a track.gpx file and my map file in the right hand column

Windows couldn’t open any of these files.Am I right in thinking I need a 3rd party software in order to be able to view Satmap routes and maps on my PC? – if so which one. It seems to say that if I use Memory Map it won’t import height information. I am not at the “planning routes stage” yet but it will come

Manual – I have downloaded and printed the service Manual – (another tree bites the dust) – the manual is actually A5 landscape – printed on A4 what a waste of paper. My impression is that their manuals are not user friendly to a complete novice to these devices – but are they ever?

I have looked through the many forum messages relating to Satsync Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes but cant find a definitive answer

Regards Alan

I find Quo works very well. I use gpx files which you need to "Import" via SatSync, and you can transfer routes out of the Active 10 to Quo.

I found I could print "two up" so I get two pages on one A4 sheet, so not so wasteful.

Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Satsynk Reply with quote

notmyname wrote:
Windows couldn’t open any of these files.Am I right in thinking I need a 3rd party software in order to be able to view Satmap routes and maps on my PC? – if so which one.

You might try Google's Free Google earth app. You can import the .gpx tracks into Google Earth using GPSVisualizer.

Otherwise as has been said, Quo is a good budget alternative.
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open .gpx files in Google Earth (free edition) directly. At least it works with Memory Map .gpx's, not tried a Satmap .gfx

Neil
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
You can open .gpx files in Google Earth (free edition) directly. At least it works with Memory Map .gpx's, not tried a Satmap .gfx

Neil

Really? I'll have to have a go, never occurred to me to try!
notmyname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: QUO Reply with quote

I see Quo have a free download on their web - or I believe a Pro version can be bought for about £30. I will look into the differences but probably try the free one first
regards Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The free Quo package does work with the data format required for Satsync and the active10 although there is a limit of only ten waypoints within any single route created. The Quo Pro which is just under thirty pounds unlocks this restriction and allows infinite waypoints to be used.

If you want OS 50K scale maps on the Quo PC software they can be bought for 99 pence each but you have to purchase a minimum of 6 tiles, to give you an idea of coverage 6 tiles will cover most of Lancashire and the Lake District - Mike
notmyname
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Quo or Memory map? Reply with quote

Many thanks for your helpfull replies - Looking at memorymap they have a cd on National Parks and I assume the software program for £30 ( I will have to chat to them onMonday)
This puts them at a similar price to Quo.
Forgetting the program costs which is the better (and easier program) in your opinion.
Regards Alan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Quo or Memory map? Reply with quote

notmyname wrote:
Forgetting the program costs which is the better (and easier program) in your opinion.

Memory-Map is the better application, easier to use IMHO. QUO is good although it has some idiosyncrasies, but purchasing individual map tiles is cheaper in most circumstances.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Map is the more established product but the version 5 software has been out for quite some time now, one trait of Memory Map is that you cannot use old maps on the new software so if they update the product in the near future you will end up with two different versions of their software on the PC in order to use old and new maps.

The big plus point Quo does have in addition to the method you purchase map tiles is the ability to project manage your stored routes, waypoints etc. This makes selection of specific walks for transferal to the active10 or any other GPS device much easier than that encountered with MM.

For example I have a single project containing various folders:
Yorkshire Dales
Calder Vale
South Lakes
North Lakes

Within each folder are additional sub groups:
Yorkshire Dales/ Ingleborough
Yorkshire Dales/ Pen-y-gehnt

Within each sub group are stored the various routes applicable to each hill, this I find takes a little getting used to, but once the file structure is in place it is a great way to handle a large quatity of walks/ routes/ waypoints and any other related information - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: