Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i Custom POI's ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i Custom POI's ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevanovich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: S90i Custom POI's ? Reply with quote

Have just purchased S90i,

Have downloaded POI's from PocketGPSWorld and installed via Navdesk2008, a few days ago.

Everything showed up in Custom POI's on Navdesk.

Re-connected S90i to PC today - went to Custom POI's, shows NO Custom POI's already installed!
Tried to re-install and tells me files may be corrupt or in use by other program?

When I go to POI section of S90i, a couple of Custom POI's I installed are listed, but the rest have disapeared!
Also navman does not show icons installed on maps for those POI's still listed.

Any ideas,

Regards ...

[/b]
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum....

I don't have first hand knowledge of the S90i but have seen plenty of posts about installing Speed Cam POIs on this forum.

Some of them refer to limitations in numbers that can be installed - the Manual says 25 POIs (ie 25 different categories) and I have seen mention of a maximum of 12000 items but this may have been overcome by recent updates. Someone can probably help Idea .

Have you read and followed the instructions exactly on pages 102 & 121 of the S range Manual? If you don't have it, you can download it from the Navman site in pdf format.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Custom POIs Reply with quote

No real issues with custom POIs on the S90i except for the data limit of 12,000 - I believe there are around 18,000 on the PGPSW database, so you will need to download in catagories and leave a few out (perhaps the fixed, which are already covered quite well within the Navman software, and provide direction and speed related warnings too), so I guess its a case of re-installing and you shouldn't have a problem
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly related to Stevanovich's original question but do we know if the recent Service Pack addressed the issue of route calculation slowness, as this was thought to be related to the number of POI categories enabled.

--

Cheers,

Dave
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Custom POIs Reply with quote

As I tend to rely on the Navman camera database on my S90i, and use the PGPSW one on my Nuvi, I couldn't tell you if the problem persists

If I get time today or tomorrow Dave I will upload and try out, and report back...!

What do you think...?!
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom POIs Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:

What do you think...?!

I never installed the Service Pack - once I read about the problems it caused, I decided to call it a day with my S90i. It's now living in "Skid Row" - a little area in my loft where old bits of obsolete and/or useless hardware frequently end up - the S90i now shares a cardboard box with a family of 1MB SIMMs, a 5.25-inch floppy drive and a 386 motherboard. However I'm keeping an eye on the forum for the time being on the million-to-one chance that NavMan might one day be arsed to fix all the problems.

--

Cheers,

Dave
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom POIs Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
xtraseller wrote:

What do you think...?!

I never installed the Service Pack - once I read about the problems it caused, I decided to call it a day with my S90i. It's now living in "Skid Row" - a little area in my loft where old bits of obsolete and/or useless hardware frequently end up - the S90i now shares a cardboard box with a family of 1MB SIMMs, a 5.25-inch floppy drive and a 386 motherboard. However I'm keeping an eye on the forum for the time being on the million-to-one chance that NavMan might one day be arsed to fix all the problems.

--

Cheers,

Dave

Let me know if you ever decide to sell it......and the Sinclair ZX81 Wink

Graham
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom POIs Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

Let me know if you ever decide to sell it......and the Sinclair ZX81 Wink
Graham

It's a moral dilemma. I'd feel guilty about selling on such a monumentally naff item as S90i. Besides, the way prices are plummeting on it now, I'd struggle to give it away for free.

And why would I want to sell my ZX81? Besides I'm using it right now to develop an open source GPS application for it. As xtraseller would say, it's an "upgrade". Wink

--

Cheers,

Dave
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Manual says 25 POIs (ie 25 different categories)

Manual still says that? That's wrong, on S-Series you can have as many categories as you like.
stevanovich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, but I do not think the problem is the amount of POi's I have installed, or the amount of categories allowed.

I installed around 15 POI's from PGPSW, all files transfered to S90i and were listed on the 'Installed POI's' section of Navdesk 2008.

All POI's were showing on maps, re-connected S90i a couple of days later, returned to Custom POI's section of Navdesk 2008 and shows NO POI's already installed on S90i.

Returned to s90i to check on POI's, only to find that 4 of the 15 POI's I had installed were still listed!

Took a trip out and discovered that none of these POI's showed on maps.

All settings are correct on S90i i.e. visual alert was checked.

As I have still have 4 POI's listed on S90i, which are not working, and because they are not showing on 'Installed POI' section on Navdesk 2008 , I cannot delete them?

I try and re-install them ( or different POI's ) and I get the message

'Unable to open/parse the .CSV file. Ensure that the file is not used by another program and is not corrupt'

None of the above is true.

Am I going MAD???

Regards,

Steve .........

P.S. I have latest update installed.
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: POI's Reply with quote

stevanovich wrote:
I try and re-install them ( or different POI's ) and I get the message

'Unable to open/parse the .CSV file. Ensure that the file is not used by another program and is not corrupt'

Have you power-cycled your S90i (hold power button for several seconds) and rebooted your PC?
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: POIs Reply with quote

If not try deleting the Navman\POI directory - but you will need to recover using your PC and DVD and do a re-install, this should correct the problem, if a re-boot fails

I would guess its not a unit fault, just a faulty piece of data
stevanovich
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Navman Power Cycle. Reply with quote

Have tried soft reboot with no change .

Will try reinstall later and let you know what happens.

Many thanks,

Steve ....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom POIs Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
As I tend to rely on the Navman camera database on my S90i, and use the PGPSW one on my Nuvi, I couldn't tell you if the problem persists

How do you manage that when you haven't subscribed in over two years Confused
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Old data Reply with quote

Keep to the old data on the Nuvi - after all only tend to use the Nuvi on a very occasional basis, if I jump into a collegues car in the office

Never had a speeding ticket in my life so works for me!

By the way, you should either check your customer data more accuratey, or keep more accurate records, as it was well within the last 2 years not "more than 2 years" as you incorrectly state, and why would you print customers private purchasing information contary to the data information act anyway? Wasn't even knocking your product and you try and defend it. Seems odd, or is there an underlying reason you try and discredit certain posters?

Last edited by xtraseller on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: