Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Buddies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Buddies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: TomTom Buddies Reply with quote

I'm interested in using this feature on my 910 although it doesn't seem to be that widely used. Certainly not by anybody that I know who uses TT.

Does anyone know if there are any 'Buddie communities' or the such where people can exchange details etc.?

It'd be good to have a list of people that use the service so others can see how popular (if at all) it is and take part.

If anyone would like to try it, please feel free to PM me for details.
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Buddies Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
I'm interested in using this feature on my 910 although it doesn't seem to be that widely used. Certainly not by anybody that I know who uses TT.

Does anyone know if there are any 'Buddie communities' or the such where people can exchange details etc.?

It'd be good to have a list of people that use the service so others can see how popular (if at all) it is and take part.

If anyone would like to try it, please feel free to PM me for details.

None that I know of, but I too am curious, if only to try this out.

So if you want to be added and reciprocate - at least just to play with the feature for a bit, feel free to drop me a PM etc...

Ooops - I just re-read your post, and you invite me to pm you - so I will do so now...
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Buddies Reply with quote

I use buddies, it works very well if.....you can get through to the TT server. It's a bit flaky with the updates and the messages don’t arrive when you think they would and the interface is poor but apart from that, you can see where your buddy is.
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also always wondered how this works, don't think I would use the messasge facility but what I wanted to know is if you were following close behinf your buddy are they visible on your screen in motion in real time then or do you always have to get updates from the server, what would be cool if traveling in a convoy is if you can select in some kind of follow mode instead of programming in your own route that you can set your route to the same as theirs and follow any devertions they take automatically.
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i have been able to gather, the update process is manual and has no auto update feature. Certainly not on the 910's / V7 software anyway.

How accurate the position plots are I've no idea yet.

As for using it to follow someone or track someone in a convoy I don't think the update frequency will be nearly frequent enough to allow this.
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
As far as i have been able to gather, the update process is manual and has no auto update feature. Certainly not on the 910's / V7 software anyway..
Correct, and its a pain to do as it often takes several attempts before you get to the server so is not something to be doing whilst on the move if you wish to remain out of jail.

Graeme2812 wrote:
How accurate the position plots are I've no idea yet..
Very the answer on that. You could drive to his car if he was not moving and park up behind him.

Graeme2812 wrote:
As for using it to follow someone or track someone in a convoy I don't think the update frequency will be nearly frequent enough to allow this.
In reality I don’t think this is useable. I was tracked across the UK once but the updates were so infrequent to be of much use in that respect. Far better to just all plot the same route and everyone will get the same instructions anyway. Unless everyone has different maps, different map shares different firmware etc etc zzzzzzzzzzzzz
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
As far as i have been able to gather, the update process is manual and has no auto update feature. Certainly not on the 910's / V7 software anyway.

How accurate the position plots are I've no idea yet.

Graeme,

I added you, using the credentials you supplied, but thus far TT tells me graemexxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xx.xx is not a buddy (yet).

Have I done something wrong way round?
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the details I sent in the PM and they were correct.

Will have another little play about with it and see if theres something I've not done correctly.

Incidentally, I've added yourself, and it appears to have worked ok.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Just checked the details I sent in the PM and they were correct.

Will have another little play about with it and see if theres something I've not done correctly.

Incidentally, I've added yourself, and it appears to have worked ok.

Now see you too mate, cheers!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system requires you both to "authenticate" before it will show any details to either party - Mike
madnlooney
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive used it on my 910 and its alright. i found it didnt update often but always funny seeing where people get to Laughing Out Loud
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a buddy partnership set up, when and how often does your TT transmit your location out to the server?
COLINRG
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to get my new free 920T from TomTom on Tuesday 18th Nov. Anyone want to pair up to see this function work?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone want to add me to their Buddy list simply click the e-mail button below this post and use my e-mail address for the buddy name, this will work as its a live one I am currently using with the 940 - Mike
fingery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just upgraded by old XL to a 950 Live and have some time remaining on the 30 day live trial....

How the hell does the buddy thing work? I can't see any buddy menu's on the device nor in the Home software. Confused

How do i add buddies?

Documentation is scant but on a device with Live active and hence presumably the facility for your location to be uploaded via Tomtom, is it possible (or planned) to see your location via the internet? (so the wife can stop nagging me on the way home Laughing )

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: