Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Satmap Active 10 software release
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Satmap Active 10 software release
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save as GPX works fine when you find it! Embarassed as I said earlier I only tried messing with TrackLog earlier this evening and took the approach I knew would work, interestingly looking at the pictures the conversion has reversed the route, although it is easy to swap that back on the device - Mike
Alanmo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help and v usefull demo, Mike

Is the product what it was meant to be now then? I have seen the other problems noted on other threads. The one that worried me is the instability - would hate for it to close down on top of a mist laden hill.

Alan
miket1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliability has been an issue for some units since early launch, but Satmap, from the info on these threads has been quick to replace any faulty units. My own experience has been very positive. I have had the unit since mid December, used it 2/3 times a month since then on some very demanding Scottish winter days, snow, wind, mist et al and it never failed me. I have moved on to the LiPol rechargeable unit and it is lasting longer.

Mike or Darren, just a suggestion, is it time to consider a “sticky” for SatSync conversions from Maping programmes. Since last weekend there have been several posts on how to get to .gpx from your favourite mapping software, not just memory map. I did such a post that showed how you could get Anquet to .gpx through GPS Utility and then one of the Anquet team posted showing that you can go straight to .gpx using “save as” on their own screen. Similar to the point mentioned above by LostMike for TrackLogs.

The general thrust would be; Do your route on your mapping software, check to see if you can save it as .gpx (using their help in necessary) if you can, then import via Satsync in the normal way. Otherwise convert it through a freeware conversion utility such as GPS Babel or GPS Utility. You can then use your screenshots as the basis of the latter approach.

Just an idea, lots of people seem to be making a lot of progress in getting their routes on to Active 10 from a whole variety of sources, it would save the trawl through the old threads.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, that is a suggestion I was thinking about last night and is very well worth doing, I will have a think about the best way to do this and start something off later, it might require other users to duplicate what they have already posted to get it all in one place, but I don't think there are too many posts of this type as yet. - Mike
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I also add could we have WHAT NOT to remove etc. Sad
satsync asks us where we want to put these tracks (have a choice ?)
trouble is that one can also remove these tracks AND other IMPORTANT
files as well IF not careful.

Well if i was having a senior moment or got rather blase with deletion :-(((((
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would make a full copy of each of your memory cards and store them on the PC, just in case you do accidentally erase a main map file on the card - although if you always check the file size when deleting files it should be obvious which is a main map file.

As for SatSync and use of for different formats have a read of This Thread, if anyone can add other conversion utilities that are known to work please feel free to add to the thread - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satsync and Tracklogs - help

I mentioned above that I had managed to get Tracklogs to save in GPX format and successfully imported onto the A10 but I have still had no luck going the other way. I have tried it directly. I have tried converting through GPSBabel and GPSU but the best and only thing I have got is a set of waypoints.

I must be missing something. Grateful if anyone could help.
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I must be missing something. Grateful if anyone could help.
There is an option to "Export" in the SatSync which is greyed out on the current version, I would expect this to convert from the SatMap Route back to GPX format ONCE IT IS MADE AVAILABLE - for now, short of a serious amount of messing about there is no way to pull a route of the device and save/ display it using another Topo mapping application - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder said
Quote:
There is an option to "Export" in the SatSync which is greyed out on the current version,

Now I know I am confused. On my Satsync (downloaded from the Satmap website - Version 1.0.21 Beta) the Export is only greyed out if you have not highlighted a file. If I highlight a route file it allows me to export it as a GPX file onto my PC. Such GPX files import and are visible on Memory map but I can't see them on Tracklogs though it does not claim that the import failed.

I'm trying to decide whether to go for Tracklogs or Memory map so have the trial versions of both which should be the latest.

So in summary export from the A10 to Memory map seems fine and works directly but not to Tracklogs - unless anyone can tell me differently.
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the Export does work, but not when the Route is stored on the Memory card, which is what I was doing Embarassed , if the Route is stored on the device it will permit it to be exported as GPX - I will have a play around with Tracklogs and see if I can find anything on this issue - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a further post from Mikealder makes me suspect that at the moment it is not possible to post a route to Tracklogs. I have sent Tracklogs a query to see if they have a suggestion.

Having looked at the GPX files produced by MemoryMap, Tracklogs and Satsync it appears to me that Tracklogs produces a track but MemoryMap and Satsync produce a list of waypoints which they both interpret to be tracks. Does that make sense? However for some reason I can't understand I can't get Tracklogs to even see the waypoints in the Satsync file without passing it through GPSU.

Shame. Hopefully it will be possible one day. I wonder who will make the first move? Satmap (Satsync) or Tracklogs. Presumably it would be in both their interests to get the transfer to work both ways.
Satsync 1.525
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't finished "playing" with this yet, what I will say is the Tracklogs can see the data that has been transferred from the A10 and converted using GPSBabel, what it doesn't do is use the data to display a route.

I am not surprised it doesn't use the data though as the .trl file post conversion is full of garbage. There appears to be a totally different type of gpx file being used by the software (if you want to see this for yourself try the following:
1/ Create a route in Tracklogs and save as gpx (this works)
2/ Run it through SatSync and put it on the A10 (this works)
3/ Create a new route on the A10 in the same area (this works)
4/ Export the data from the A10 using SatSync (this works (ish))
5/ Convert the exported data to .trl (this claims to work)

Now open each of the above files on the PC using NotePad and look at the difference in structure, the file created with step 5 is just full of rubbish - As I said this is still being worked on as it should be possible to do - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have consulted Tracklogs about the problem of showing the A10 GPX generated files in Tracklogs. Thay have been very helpful and said:

Quote:
The problem is in the GPX variant being used by Satmap which is a flavour not yet supported by TrackLogs. We will be supporting this type of route based GPX file as soon as possible at which point you will get the full Satmap compatibility.
Unquote.

Lets hope that "as soon as possible" arrives in the not too distant future.
Satsync 1.525
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
The lack of a further post from Mikealder makes me suspect that at the moment it is not possible to post a route to Tracklogs. I have sent Tracklogs a query to see if they have a suggestion.

Having looked at the GPX files produced by MemoryMap, Tracklogs and Satsync it appears to me that Tracklogs produces a track but MemoryMap and Satsync produce a list of waypoints which they both interpret to be tracks. Does that make sense? However for some reason I can't understand I can't get Tracklogs to even see the waypoints in the Satsync file without passing it through GPSU.

Shame. Hopefully it will be possible one day. I wonder who will make the first move? Satmap (Satsync) or Tracklogs. Presumably it would be in both their interests to get the transfer to work both ways.

I have managed to get this to work. Use GPSBabel and select to translate from .gpx to .trl then filter drop down select - Routes to Tracks.....this then generates a .trl that tracklogs can display.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great rog62 but you will have to lead me through it a bit more as I still can't work out how to do it.

I am using GPSU (4.91)

I can't find "translate" do you mean save/export options under the file drop down?

I also cannot find a drop down anywhere to select "routes to tracks".

Any more detailed advice would be welcome.
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: