Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom to Launch First Navigation Solution for SmartPhones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom to Launch First Navigation Solution for SmartPhones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: TomTom to Launch First Navigation Solution for SmartPhones Reply with quote

TomTom MOBILE enables pocket-sized navigation for smartphones

Amsterdam, 23 June 2004 ? TomTom, Europe?s leading personal and in-car navigation solution provider, today unveiled it is bringing navigation solutions for smartphones to market. TomTom MOBILE, which was first demonstrated at CeBIT in March 2004, will be launched across Europe for Series 60 and Microsoft Smartphone handsets in late Summer 2004.

?By extending navigation technology into the smartphone arena, TomTom furthers its mission to bring leading-edge navigation solutions to a wider consumer audience.? said Harold Goddijn, TomTom?s chief executive officer. ?As consumer interest in-car navigation grows, TomTom MOBILE enables smartphone users to turn their phones into a personal companion that will safely get them from A to B stress free.?

Smartphones are powerful mobile devices with next-generation features, such as e-mail and large colour screens, as well as more information capability than traditional mobile phones. The increased processing power and memory size of smartphones enables them to bring new experiences to mobile phone users. TomTom MOBILE will support popular smartphones from companies such as Nokia, Motorola, Samsung and HTC.

TomTom MOBILE will feature TomTom?s award winning navigation software pre-installed on MMC cards, requiring no installation or configuration. The solution will also offer wireless portability for effortless in-car fitting using the smallest and lightest GPS receiver on the market (Bluetooth?enabled with rechargeable battery).

TomTom MOBILE?s on screen and voice instructions mean that the driver never needs to worry about taking their eyes off the road or worry about touching the phone to enter information. 3D mapping, turn-by-turn voice instructions, night and day settings, automatic re-routing, customisable points of interest (POI), postcode look-up and excellent street number coverage all add up to an impeccable navigation experience. Naturally, TomTom MOBILE offers continued visual instruction during voice calls.

Drivers will also have the option to receive traffic information via GPRS. Real-time alerts will be sent straight to the driver and offer an on-screen, bird?s eye view of any traffic incidents or general traffic jams for any given journey.

The product has the backing of mobile operators and handset manufacturers who are keen to increase customer take up of the latest mobile phone technology.

?We are proud and excited to offer our solutions on the leading Symbian OS and Microsoft platforms and look forward to continuing this collaboration into the future,? continued Goddijn.

TomTom MOBILE will be on sale in late summer in UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland and the Nordics.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About TomTom
TomTom BV is a global provider of personal navigation solutions for mobile people.
TomTom provides innovative, easy to use navigation products built on world leading hardware and software platforms.
TomTom BV was founded in 1991 in Amsterdam and has offices in The Netherlands, United Kingdom and USA. The company?s products are sold through a distribution network of top retailers in more than 15 countries.
To learn more about TomTom, visit: www.tomtom.com.
clawrence
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: P900? Reply with quote

Is TomTom going to release a navigator for the P900?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom did have a demo of Navigator on the P800 working at CeBIT this year, but there is nothing in the announcement about the SEP800/900.

This will not be released with the Series60/Smartphone software. I am afraid we will have to wait for a later announcement regarding this platform.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool should be good ill have to get smart phone as well now then arrrrgggghhhhhh

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Its about time! Reply with quote

Its about time!

A freind of mine has been using Mapopolis on his Orange SPV (Original) for a while now, I cant beleive it has taken the makers of TomTom this long to bring it to the market. Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue with Smartphones is the stability and speed of the OS. I've been using the Mapopolis Smartphone Beta client for a while now with my E200 and a BT GPS and it crashes and locks up the handset so often that I'd almost given up on it.

The very fact that it's still in Beta with no update and no sign of a full release indicates the difficulties manufacturers are having with the Smartphone OS or at least the hardware. The E200 is the only model currently able to utilise a BT GPS and it's crippled by the appalling MS BT Stack. Whilst the 2003 OS is better than earlier versions it's still very slow and prone to lock-ups even when doing basic things liek navigating the menu or accessing contacts, adding GPS Nav to this base is naturally fraught with difficulties!

Having said that, MS Smartphone's can be great, web browsing, Outlook integration, POP mail and Media Player etc are great but it's got some way to go until it's stable and because the customisation is down to the phone manufacturer and service provider this added layer means updates are slow to surface.
Ipaq
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

I asked if his locked up often & its only now & again when searching for street names, as far as the GPS goes his is a wired mouse as he has no BT but no problems yet with that. The connection is the same as for the XDA.

All experiences I have had with BT have not been that reliable, I use a BT USB dongle (class 1) in my Pc @ home to sirf the net with my 2210. Great most of the time, but not 100%, I am no expert but maybe this is whats causing the the majority of your errors???
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possibly, I don't have access to an XDA compatible GPS mouse so using BT could be the cause of some of the problems,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: