Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Split from Truvelo thread
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Split from Truvelo thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
*Laughing Out Loud*

What's with *Laughing Out Loud*? Don't you see this feature?

Laughing Out Loud.jpg" border="0" />

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
*Laughing Out Loud*

What's with *Laughing Out Loud*? Don't you see this feature?

Laughing Out Loud.jpg" border="0" />

Yup...

Plus various font features too such as bold, underline, italic etc etc that I could ALSO use to emphasise key points.

But alas, I find it MUCH faster to just type alpha characters, given that my fingers are already on the keys, and simply use CAPS for emphasis where necessary, as just done here.

And thus far, in numerous countless forums I belong, and countless thousands and thousands of posts in total spread across such, not one single person has ever complained about my philosophy and approach.

But I am more than sure that your post was merely a helpful suggestion in case I didn't know, rather than the first ever complaint despite many many true thousands of posts.

So as such therefore, thanks for the heads up in case I didn't know and a big:

Very Happy

And:

*Laughing Out Loud*

(Couldn't miss such an opportunity now, could I ?)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
I find it MUCH faster to just type alpha characters
We have noticed! But my comment was for the sake of understanding by your fans. There are quite a lot of people out here who are not "with" the text gurus and we have to stop and think (often unsuccessfully) just what those clever acronyms mean.

Please ... there is no need for you to reply at length on the subject. Simply read no further than the first post here and consider your position (in glorious textual silence).

My sincere apologies to the Original Poster for going off track. The valuable answer to your post was from MaFt ...
Quote:
there is probably only a difference of about 15m between a gatso's capture 'area' and a truvelo's capture area so if you have your warnings so low then you should seriously consider increasing them!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gary10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud = laugh out loud eh ?
Well i didnt know that till now and have been wondering about it for years.

Guess im to past it to know and to embarrassed to ask.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
I find it MUCH faster to just type alpha characters
We have noticed! But my comment was for the sake of understanding by your fans. There are quite a lot of people out here who are not "with" the text gurus and we have to stop and think (often unsuccessfully) just what those clever acronyms mean.

Please ... there is no need for you to reply at length on the subject. Simply read no further than the first post here and consider your position (in glorious textual silence).

Alas Dennis, that's rather like asking the Pope not to Pray, asking me not to respond to yet another of your all too common attacks on me.

Quite aside from which, it's all but impossible - as I do not SET OUT to deliberately ADD acronyms etc - they COME NATURALLY, as a free flowing use of language alas now.

Because in as much as I see what you are trying to achieve, this is waaaaaaaay old hat mate, such abbreviations have been used for YEARS now, rightly or wrongly, and as such, it is far too well entrenched in my vocabulary now for me to suddenly stop, just like that, on your say so, as if it was that easy.

As like I say, I do not actively SET OUT to fit them in, they COME NATURALLY.

As they surely do to many people now (but of course indeed, not all, I KNOW some don't know what they mean).

You are all but saying here that I am being penalised BECAUSE of how long I have been a web junkie, as opposed to the other way round.

Especially as no other forum (and I am a member of HUNDREDS, for sure), has such a ridiculous draconian policy as yours.

But that's SURE to be exactly what you want to hear - a ready made excuse to finally ban me once and for all, so if so, ban away.

Because like I said, whilst I will endeavour to cut down, alas, despite your misguided best wishes, these terms are now WELL in common (if not universally known) usage, and the way forward is NOT to be like a draconian Victorian school-master and penalise all and sundry for using them, the answer is to explain and encourage users to point out what said terms mean (i.e. spread the knowledge, not bury one's head in the sand).

And again, as this is an AUTOMATIC act for me, NOT something I deliberately set out to do, then it is quite impossible to simply expect me to be able to stop, just because you say so.

That's like asking a young child to stop using certain letters of the alphabet.

So if it's so serious enough a heinous crime of me in your book to use the word " *Laughing Out Loud* " now and then, then ban me.

Because as much as I would LIKE to comply with your demand, it's impossible - as it is an automatic action and use of language, NOT a deliberate, malicious, prescribed act.

Sorry.

Rest assured I will endeavour to lower the amount or frequency of use, as much as I can, in order to adhere to your draconian measures.

But like I say - NO other forum I am a member of has such a silly policy, despite it's best of intentions.

And if the best response you can manage is something along the lines of "Well we are not every other forum on the internet, are we", then it would be a lame response at that.

Hope this is helpful for you however, and my apologies too to the OP (that means Original Poster), for going OT (that means Off Topic) - and the saddest thing of all - I see Mods and Admin use these acronyms themselves often enough - so your post is just oh so aimed at me Dennis...

EDIT:

Furthermore, initially I adhered to yet another one of your DEMANDS (your good at making them, Mod or not), and only read the first post in the thread you linked, as you INSTRUCTED me to up above.

But surprisingly, later, after posting this, when I went on to read the entire thread however, I see that funnily enough, everyone in THAT thread too also told you what a silly policy this was.

So I find it strange that you refer me to a thread, that in effect, only serves to show how silly such a request is.

Or perhaps you did expect me to adhere to your demand and only read post one, and none of the rest.

If we have a policy of "No Acronyms etc", then we will have to use "Pocket Global Positioning System World" every time we would usually use PGPSW.

And that alone shows how stupid such a request is, as the very NAME of this site, includes one (GPS).

Please don't say "yes but people know what GPS means". How do WE know who knows what...?

I thought nowadays everyone knew what *Laughing Out Loud* meant, but clearly not.

So it is ZERO use saying don't use unusual acronyms, if we have no black and white way of knowing who knows what.

The only correct policy, is to allow them, but where one crops up that is unknown to a reader, have the reader ask what it stands for.

How hard is that?

How is that not sensible, practical, and pragmatic.

As opposed to your 'solution' ?

Right, I have gone WAY too OT (Off Topic) for the poor OP (Original Poster's) thread, and I am now doing him a grave dis-service, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited by shadamehr on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh for Pete's sakes! BREVITY please!
You are in danger of being accused of "trolling", Shadamehr.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Oh for Pete's sakes! BREVITY please!
You are in danger of being accused of "trolling", Shadamehr.

Nah Andy...

Just god d*mn SICK TO S*dden death of Dennis and all his itsy bitsy find fault flaws, or something to bicker at in everything I do approach to me.

It's bloody ridiculous.

We need a separate forum on here "the Shadamehr and Dennis bicker at each other" forum, so we can keep the board clear of this rubbish (I agree with you, its ridiculous, but what is my alternative, just let him make critique after critique after critique of me, pick me up on everything I say, and find fault in all I post)?

Why can't he just agree to meet me for REAL for a drink - I'll even buy them, then he can TELL me why he so has it in for me, or rather why it APPEARS so, because of his constant barbs at me?

Dennis, your meant to be a grown up - Mod or not, is it too much to ask, to ask you to start acting like one?

Seriously, if you want to meet (and NO, NO WAY, I don't mean like that - I REALLY mean I will buy you a pint, NOTHING sinister, before i get accused of that), then just say so, and let's talk it through off the board.

otherwise, GIVE OVER!
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa!!! somebody got out of the sensitive side of the bed this morning
dennis only made a couple of comments and if he was really gunning for you you'd know about it
take a chill pill and give your fingers a rest for goodness sake Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok enough everybody, take it to the off topic forum if you want but lets leave it out of the general forums.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klystron_generator wrote:
whoa!!! somebody got out of the sensitive side of the bed this morning
dennis only made a couple of comments and if he was really gunning for you you'd know about it
take a chill pill and give your fingers a rest for goodness sake Rolling Eyes

Alas you know little of the reasons behind this, and what else has gone on.

Always too easy to leap to the defence of the Mod, but trust me, it isn't like that.

I am sick to death of his CONSTANT barbs, is what I said, I didn't say anything about being sick to death as a result of a SINGLE barb from him.

This extends to PM too.

So don't judge, what you don't know.

Anyway, as Darren has said, Off Forum would be best suited, so I am more than happy for that.

Just remember please though Darren, that every time your Mod responds condescendingly, acerbically, or with that nasty little sting in the tale he always chooses to use for my posts, for the reasons me, you and him, know about, that in effect is NOT keeping it Off The Forum.

That is very much ON forum, and indeed, a simple abuse of the power he holds as Mod, to be able to get away with it.

So from now on, as the last thing I want to do is have the rest of the membership, oblivious to the history behind how this started, turning against me, is this:

In future, whenever Dennis abuses his power as Mod to have yet ANOTHER stab, or icy twist to his post replies to me, I will NOT entertain him with a long but reasoned reply as I have tried in the past, even though when I do he is then so conspicuous by his silence, having no fair reply back...

I will in future simply reply with a plain "Yes Sir".

As he will either love that, thinking I actually really mean it and it stokes his ego, or alternatively he will soon get sick of it, and give up soooo having it in for me.

I really thought you would have sorted this by now though Darren, and truly grasped the bull by the horns with ALL concerned, not just me.

But a promise, as best I can offer it... I will NOT respond to his barbs in future.

I will simply reply with a plain single "Yes Sir" response.

I suspect that will soon make the barbs dry up.

So my word on it.
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thread hijacked
who in their right mind is going to wade through all this to see if there's anything remotely related to Truvelo?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
[
I am sick to death of his CONSTANT barbs, is what I said, I didn't say anything about being sick to death as a result of a SINGLE barb from him.

And I'm sick to death of your constant whingeing at great length about other people in this and other threads, and tryimg to wade through your posts to find anything remotely on topic. If you don't like this forum, please go elsewhere.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above behaviour is not the sort of thing we like to see on the forum, I did indeed consider deletion of the posts BUT that would only serve to pour additional fuel on the fire.
I don't like spending time splitting threads and such like as it shouldn't be necessary - enough has been said already, so please can everyone calm down and behave in a more friendly way - thank you - Mike
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Mike it has got a little silly.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
[

And I'm sick to death of your constant whingeing at great length about other people in this and other threads, and tryimg to wade through your posts to find anything remotely on topic. If you don't like this forum, please go elsewhere.

You might want to PM Darren about this first, as his view is rather different.

But like i promised Darren:

"Yes Sir!"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: