Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - advice needed - n95 vs HTC TYTNII
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

advice needed - n95 vs HTC TYTNII

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: advice needed - n95 vs HTC TYTNII Reply with quote

I currently run a M3100 with BT GPS.
Main software is TTN6.0, Garmin XT and Memory map.
I'm really liking the Garmin software so may just stick with that in the future.

It's upgrade time with our phone package and I'm considering the TyTn2 or maybe going for the Nokia as I think it would be a better phone, have a good camera and be a more solid package as it isn't running windows. Problem is that I have no experience of running Symbian. Confused

So..

n95
Is it a good phone/pda/sat nav?
Will it run Memory map?
Have all the software bugs and battery issues been beaten out of it yet?
Can Tom Tom, Garmin XT or Memory map use it's internal gps?
Would not having a touch screen drive me round the bend?

TyTNII
Can it's internal receiver be used with TTN6, Memory map and Garmin XT?
If not then what does it work with?

Seems strange to have a PDA/phone with an inbuilt gps if you still have to use an external gps to run the fun stuff. I probably would bother if this is the case.

Also I run GPS gate - would that work on the n95 and would it help with the internal gps issues I've read about.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm itching to order the new phone and would love to get an all-in-one product. Just don't want to be disappointed as I'll be stuck with it for 18 months. Sad

Thanks very much.

Mambo Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both devices are very capable, BUT the Nokia is not a PPC based phone it uses its own operating system which is not that well supported (yet) for the main GPS related applications. You can forget using Fransons GPS Gate or Memory Map on the 95 they are not supported, there are Topo map packages that will work but if you have MM software you may want to stick with it?

TyTN-II is a good device and will support what you want, but have you considered the HTC Touch Cruise or the O2 badged version known as the XDA Orbit II - OK you lose the built in keyboard, but for a true portable PDA based phone with HSDPA/ 3G etc and GPS its a cracking device (once tweaked a little bit with a few simple changes) - Mike
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well that's more or less ruled out the n95!

Would love to have the Touch Cruise but it isn't offered from our network (Orange). I'll have to see if it's in the pipeline. If not I could see if it's with another network which has favourable rates.

If not then it looks like it'll be the TyTNII.

So what's all this talk about some software packages not using the internal GPS (or is that just the n95)? Rolling Eyes
mambojimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've been won over by the Touch series.

Was just about to order the Touch Dual when I found out that the Cruise is currently under review.
So I wait with baited breath and fingers crossed. Razz

Better get something ordered soon before I get chance to change my mind again. Smile
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go with the cruze as it has the gps i have the o2 version and great

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
madmole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYTn2 internals GPS works fine with TomTom and Navigator

Great phone, had mine 7 months and love it
snoopy61
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: HTC touch Cruise or NOKIA N95 Reply with quote

I have a O2 Atom, very nice at his time. I have being researching between N95 vor HTC Cruise, and in average, HTC is the winner. Windows Mobile 6 Pro is now very stable. Symbian (N95 Operating system ) is not as stable as Windows Mobile. The N95 camera is a plus.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the HTC Touch Diamond - now available on Orange. I have one and it's brilliant.

If a keyboard is a must you could wait a few weeks for the HTC Touch Pro which it basically a Diamond with a keyboard with improved spec to go with it. The keyboard is lile the one on the M3100 but better, apparently.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
AndyHiggins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the TYTNII, ran Memory Map, Tom Tom and Garmin Mobile XT on mine, only problem i've found is that Garmin Mobile XT aquires sattelites quick enough but takes about ten minutes for the map to be displayed!

Anyone know of how to improve it's peformance? Other than that cracking phone. I'm a big Apple man, but the Windows Mobile phones for me seem to make much more sense.

Andy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: