Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Truvelo Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Truvelo Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cfcfan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Truvelo Cameras Reply with quote

Has PocketGPSWorld ever considered making Truvelo cameras a separate category in the same way as Specs are separately categorised?

It would be helpful to identify Truvelos separately because they photograph you before you pass the camera. Users could set their GPS up to warn them further away allowing more time to identify the camera and ensure that their speed is blow its limit.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Truvelo cameras work is almost identical to Gatso ones. They both take two photos within a short time frame and compare the two to see what speed you were doing at that time. If you make your warnings far enough away, it doesn't matter exactly how they work.

Specs zones on the other hand compares your speed between two cameras and uses the average speed you were going at. For this reason, in a Specs zone, you have to keep to the limit (or below) for the entire zone and not just where the cameras are.
Brodit ProClip mount
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too agree.

I don't understand the significant difference between how a Gatso, a Truvelo, and a Monitron (as they were called before being bought out), basically function, for them to warrant any singling out as specific categories.

Some take photo face on without a flash, others (Gatso's), rear on with a flash.

But all three are standard Speed Safety Cameras that record a photo or image if you pass at higher than specified speed.

They occupy fixed positions (when not referring to mobile cameras in the database). And they incur the same penalty and cost.

I fail to see why facing or rearward has ANY significance on how far away you need to start slowing down...?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been discussed before, and there are no plans for PGPSW to separate them out into a new downloadable category, but there is no reason why you can't do it yourself.
Utilities such as POI Edit will let you arrange the database in alphabetical order so all the Truvelos etc. are grouped together, then just save the different types as seperate files.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
But all three are standard Speed Safety Cameras
Please, Please get the phrase correct they are "Safety Cameras" if you work for the Government, they are "Speed Cameras" if you are a normal law abiding motorist Cool

shadamehr wrote:
I fail to see why facing or rearward has ANY significance on how far away you need to start slowing down...?
The big difference with the Truvello type camera is the fact it takes a front view, so motorbikes are very difficult to identify (no front facing number plate) - I am not suggesting the bikers need to know the difference but every little helps Laughing - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there not a thread some time ago about Truvelos with another camera facing the opposite way near them? I wonder if this is an attempt to catch bikers on Truvelos. Evil or Very Mad
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
But all three are standard Speed Safety Cameras
Please, Please get the phrase correct they are "Safety Cameras" if you work for the Government, they are "Speed Cameras" if you are a normal law abiding motorist Cool

The sad irony is, I was going to use "Safety Cameras", but thought, no, some will chip in with "It's SPEED Cameras - to us that get stung".

So then I thought to use "Speed Cameras", but then thought, no, other's will chime in that it is "Safety Cameras - they are there to reduce accidents".

So I thought I would use BOTH terms, to avoid ANY retorts.

Alas, it clearly never worked.

*Laughing Out Loud*
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The big difference with the Truvello type camera is the fact it takes a front view, so motorbikes are very difficult to identify (no front facing number plate) - I am not suggesting the bikers need to know the difference but every little helps Laughing - Mike

Not strictly true. While the Truvelo frequently does take a front view of the car, it can also take a rear view - as I found to my cost last summer. Bikers still have to be wary of Truvelos!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:

Not strictly true. While the Truvelo frequently does take a front view of the car, it can also take a rear view - as I found to my cost last summer. Bikers still have to be wary of Truvelos!

I've seen this mentioned a few times on here, and never really understood what people mean....

I can understand that a Truvelo could be set up to be front-facing OR rear-facing, but people seem to be saying that a single Truvelo camera can take photos in both directions. Surely not the case? One side of the box is blank steel plate!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is probably only a difference of about 15m between a gatso's capture 'area' and a truvelo's capture area so if you have your warnings so low then you should seriously consider increasing them!!

MaFt
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
there is probably only a difference of about 15m between a gatso's capture 'area' and a truvelo's capture area so if you have your warnings so low then you should seriously consider increasing them!!

In addition to this, there's a Truvelo near where I live, which is not only reversible but also doubles up as a rear-facing Gatso-type camera.

This camera also has Truvelo sensors in the road surface and both Truvelo & Gatso road markings.

If you were to separate Gatso and Truvelo, which category would such a camera fall into?

If a few feet (which is probably more than the accuracy of your GPS anyway) is so critical, you're probably:
a) driving much too fast
b) not paying enough attention to your surroundings
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Daggers wrote:

I've seen this mentioned a few times on here, and never really understood what people mean....

I can understand that a Truvelo could be set up to be front-facing OR rear-facing, but people seem to be saying that a single Truvelo camera can take photos in both directions. Surely not the case? One side of the box is blank steel plate!

You're right in that a camera can only take a photo through its lens! However, there is a common assumption that a Truvelo can only be front-facing. Mikes earlier post said "The big difference with the Truvello type camera is the fact it takes a front view, so motorbikes are very difficult to identify (no front facing number plate)", which does indeed make this same implication.

I was pointing out that they can also be set up as rear-facing cameras, and you may never know how they are set up until the envelope drops through your letter-box.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Daggers...
I was happy for a moment then, until GPS_fan came up with:
GPS_fan wrote:

there's a Truvelo near where I live, which is not only reversible but also doubles up as a rear-facing Gatso-type camera.

So I'm back to asking, "What, all in the same box?"
Any chance of a photo? Neutral
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
All in the same box? Would love to see a photo.
This was what I as asking about above...

Yes, all in the same box and looking just like the Truvelo shown on the cameras page (as far as I remember from driving past it so many times)

I'll see if I can get a photo of this particular camera and road markings if you really want it - but it's usually dark when I'm passing it

edited to edit text around image
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh... I think I understand now....
I THOUGHT you meant both front-facing and rear-facing pictures for vehicles travelling in the SAME direction! Rolling Eyes

Now I think you mean that there are strips to trigger the unit on the lens side of the camera, like a normal Truvelo but that it also has lines painted on the other side of the road as if it can take a picture like a Gatso.

Are there trigger strips on the other side? I don't think there is any sort of radar detector in a Truvelo box and def. no opening for it, so it must have strips?

Or are the lines just dummies? We have lots of lines painted on the rear side of Gatsos that can never be turned round, and there's lines after every M25 gantry, of course too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: