Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom length of warranty
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom length of warranty
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: tomtom length of warranty Reply with quote

What is the length of warranty on a tomtom 520 ???

The Tomtom website says this

Quote:
WHAT THIS WARRANTY COVERS
1) TomTom International B.V. (“TomTom”) warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in
workmanship and materials under normal use (“Defects”) for a period of two (2) years from the date that the
Hardware was first purchased by you (“Warranty Period”). During the Warranty Period the Hardware will be
repaired or replaced at TomTom’s choice (“Limited Warranty”) without charge to you for either parts or labour.
This Limited Warranty covers the replacement of the Hardware only. If the Hardware is repaired after the
Warranty Period has expired, the Warranty Period for the repair will expire six (6) months after the date of repair.

The card which came with the Tomtom says 1 year

The John Lewis website says 1 year

John Lewis shops display them and state a 2 year warranty does anybody know what the length of warranty is !!!
I have emailed John Lewis and I am waiting for a reply
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure when my TT520 came back from repair the letter with it made mention of the 2yr warranty.

HummerUK
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have one and some two years depending on when it was bought it seems.

Whatever the card says with the one you bought is the length of your warranty period.
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't prove either way, but my understanding was the previous models all came with 2 year warranty, but when the x20 range was introduced, one of the first things somebody reported was noting that TT had quietly started saying 1 year warranty. I don't recall them ever proclaiming about the 2 year warranty previously, but they loudly said you get a whole year warranty with the x20s! I have not heard of anyone finding a 2 year one in their box, only 1 year. That's not definitive, of course - nobody made anything of the previous 2 year warranty until the x10s started breaking, when it was loudly said in this forum that all TTs come with a 2 year warranty.

Obviously TT have realised that outsourcing the manufacture to points further east than Southend and Maastricht means they have to revise their commitment (or is that "downsize" the warranty coverage?) - witness the increasing numbers of dud devices, starting with x10s, now flooding with x20s. I get the impression that there are loads of antique TomToms out there performing well and not breaking, but the breakage graph moves exponentially with each "development" model range. Sad My 920 is now firmly committed to the handsfree breakage with bleating noise fault which I've suffered with 6 out of 7 of my 720s. I'm just despairing of ever getting a decent handsfree performance again (until I go swap one of my 720s for the 700 I passed on to my stepson-in-law - he's welcome to a 720 in exchange for my old 700). What are TomTom coming to?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was 2 years, now 1 year.

I would believe the card that was in the box, but also check the "licences" folder on the machine itself. The guarantee period is in the small print in one of the files ("EULA-English-NO_US CAN.txt" on mine)
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your replies !! the thing that confused me was the statement above from the tomtom website ??

Sometimes John Lewis do give the products they sell a longer warranty than the manufacturers warranty so I wondered if this may be the case ??
I have emailed John Lewis but I am still waiting for a reply I will let you know the outcome

Thanks
jimjamjo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the user manual (online pdf) states that they can charge 'reasonable' return postage if the claim is received after the 1st 180 days
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have received an email reply from John Lewis and to quite honest it was not very helpful!!
It states the warranty period is one year but may change to 2 years when new stock comes in !!.
They cannot comment on the length of warranty in there high street stores !!!

So its looks like at the moment if you buy online its one year if you purchase from there high street store its 2 years Surprised
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more likely one year for anything bought now regardless of whether it was in store or on-line.

John Lewis probably still have old marketing displays. It's the warranty on the card or in the licence file that counts though. You may be able to talk the store you bought it from into giving you an extended warranty free due to the misleading guidance they showed. In reality, they should be removing the incorrect boards.

The TomTom site is probably still showing an old version of the warranty that is still valid for some users as it's really just an example.
Brodit ProClip mount
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually asked in two stores ( about a week ago)and they confirmed that it was a 2 year warranty on the tomtoms and has been for some time !!!
I told them I purchased one online and it was 1 year and they said there warranty is definitely 2 years ????

Its not unusual for John Lewis to extend the warranty on there products by a year free of charge
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the letter which came with my 520 when it came back from repair.

Quote:
TomTom product(s) purchased after 1st January 2005 have a warranty of 2 years from the date of purchase. TomTom product(s) purchased before 1st January 2005 have a warranty of 1 year from the date of purchase.

Your replacement products are covered by an additional repair warranty for six months from the date of this letter. The repair warranty is applicable if your original warranty has expired or if less than six months are left on your original warranty.

HummerUK
DUDELOVE03
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine in halfords 3 days ago and the man in there said 2years from tom tom and a year from them so i think that totals to three years when i had my 510 repaired it had two years
zzr1200
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly 2 years on CURRENT TT's (just got my 720 back from a warranty claim - new motherboard fitted)

Older TT's (not sure when it changed) only covered for a year.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I always believed it was the other way round. Two years originally (my Go300 was definitely 2 years) and then it went down to one.

Text from the EULA of my Go 300:

6) LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:

c) TomTom warrants to you that the Hardware will be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period that is
the shorter of (a) two (2) years from the date that the Hardware was first purchased by you and (b) the period ending upon your
breach of any term of the EULA (“Warranty Period”).

Text from the EULA of my Go720:

6) LIMITED WARRANTY:

b) Except for the Limited Warranty document included with the Hardware (“Limited Warranty”), if any, and to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, TomTom and its suppliers provide the Hardware and the Software “AS IS AND WITH ALL FAULTS”.....
c) Notwithstanding the Warranty Period described in the Limited Warranty, if applicable, should you breach any term(s) of this EULA the Warranty Period will end on the date of such breach.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a reply from John Lewis and they said that some of there high street John Lewis stores are doing a 2 year warranty as a promotion but the online store is 1 year ???( I think they are just trying to fob me off)

I then contacted Tomtom and asked what the length of warranty is on a Tomtom 520 purchased in 2008 ???

They replied 2 years on the sat nav and 1 year on the accessories ( charger and mount)

I have now sent this email to John Lewis and have asked them to clarify this as regards there warranty period .

I know its all a bit trivial but all I want is a straight consistent answer from the retailer and to be honest its so unlike John Lewis !! there customer service is second to none

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: