Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nokia N95 8GB
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nokia N95 8GB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbesy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Nokia N95 8GB Reply with quote

I have just got a Nokia N95 8GB on 'three's' network, have tried the Noika installed maps and I still prefere Tomtom. I have tomtom6 installed on my Acer pda and was wondering what version of Tomtom(ie symbian) will work on the new 8gb phone.

I tried installing the same software as I have on the acer onto the phone (not sure if that's naughty) but it says the device isn't compatable.

Is Tomtom the best satnav for the N95 8gb, I like it cos I'm used to it now and don't want to pay Nokia a licence every year to use their installed Satnav.

Rob
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have long since stopped supporting Symbian. The last version was 5.20 IIRC, and that was many years ago, so the maps will by now be woefully out of date.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz, not being one to disagree with you, but TTN6 contains a Symbian version (S60R3), which will work on the N95 8Gb (which I also have).

Hobbesy, To install, you need to plug the phone in and select Data Transfer on the phone, NOT PC Suite and then it can be installed onto the Mass Storage. TTN6 will not be able to use the phone's internal GPS, you will still need a Bluetooth GPS for the Navigation to work.

TomTom do not support the N95 offically, but it works a treat. The sound does stop the scrolling though on the screen, but if you can handle a second to two second delay, it is worth it.

Regards
Simon
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, feel free to disagree with me (especially when I am wrong). I didn't know TomTom had actually released that version - my mistake.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=260&Category=2&Lid=1

However I have heard that the internal GPS receiver on the N95 is not supported so you'll need to use a BT receiver.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Hobbesy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I was hoping they had fixed the internal receiver problem with the release of the 8GB version.

One of the reasons I bought the N95 8GB was that it has the internal GPS receiver and I thought I could install TT6 straight onto it.

So if I can't use Tomtom what other decent software is there for the N95 8GB, found out Nokia want £45 PER YEAR for me to use their software (dream on Laughing )

Rob

P.S. How come TT6 can use the flip out internal receiver on the Acer PDA but not the one on the Nokia?
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbesy wrote:

P.S. How come TT6 can use the flip out internal receiver on the Acer PDA but not the one on the Nokia?

Rob - I spoke with someone at TT about this. They told me it is because the Mobile Phone version does not support serial interfaces, while the PDA version does. As there have no patches (yes none) for the Mobile phone version, it is unlikely that they will release this soon. Maybe if they are writing V8 they may include it as a lot of phones now have GPS in-built and the Nokia Maps and routing is pretty poor at the moment.
Hobbesy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys,

managed to load TT6 onto the phone and evrything looks great .............apart from the fact that it only wants to use a bluetooth receiver. I thought I'd give it a go!

How could I get a patch, if Tomtom doesn't do one would anyone else. i know the answer just had to ask. Crying or Very sad

Ro
eillo7
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every N95 user of Tomtom has been begging for a patch to use the internal GPS, but it has all fallen on deaf ears. There is no patch, no-one else has managed to produce any 'hack' to make it work, and Tomtom don't seem to care about the size of the N95 market and alienating all those customers.

Indeed, the same is true of all phone/PDA customers who are still waiting for Tomtom to release TT7 to this market.

Tomtom is the only major software supplier not to support the N95 internal GPS. These are some of the alternatives that do:

Navigon
Garmin
Route 66
Sygic
Hobbesy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Copilot? either 6 or 7

I know there are unused ones on Ebay, does the software bundled with O2 and others work with the N95 or do I need to buy the specific software designed and marketed for the N95?

can't believe Tomtom are doing this especially now the 8GB version of the Nokia is out on so many networks

Rob
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbesy wrote:
Does Copilot? either 6 or 7

Copilot 6 yes. Copilot 7 no.
Hobbesy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this work with my phone?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CoPilot-Live-6-Symbian-3rd-Ed-Bluetooth-Kit-UK-maps_W0QQitemZ270215575537QQihZ017QQcategoryZ139824QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe so yes. Its a slightly different installaton as you have no memory card slot. Just follow instructions here:

www.alk.eu.com/files/S60-3rd/S60-3rd-N95-DDW.pdf
robandnicky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom navigator 6 on n95 8gb Reply with quote

Dear all,

I've tried to install TomTom on my N95 8GB. The install goes fine but then when I try to launch application, the splash screen comes on and stays on.
Anybody got any ideas.

Tomtom say that TTN6 isn't compatible. But a lot of people on this site say that they;re using it.

Please Help.

Rob
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom navigator 6 on n95 8gb Reply with quote

robandnicky wrote:
Dear all,

I've tried to install TomTom on my N95 8GB. The install goes fine but then when I try to launch application, the splash screen comes on and stays on.
Anybody got any ideas.

Tomtom say that TTN6 isn't compatible. But a lot of people on this site say that they;re using it.

Please Help.

Rob

Rob - Did you install it using TomTom Home or Nokia Installer? I know that Home worked for me and Nokia Installer did not. In addition, what else do you have running? And the stupid question, did you re-boot the phone as sometimes the n95 8gb does have a problem when it gets "tired" (battery low has caused one issue and a day of WiFi caused the GPRS (3G) to stop as well). To clarify something else I have had TTN6 working on the V11 and V15 firmware as well.
laimtoh5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom navigator 6 on n95 8gb Reply with quote

robandnicky wrote:
Dear all,

Anybody got any ideas.

Please Help.

Rob

I had trouble installing on my N95 8GB too (my N73 was easy, just copy to SD and insert; installed automatically). I finally found the installer file on TT6 (in folder (phone memory)\Private\10202dce\TomTom-NAVIGATOR_S60_3_0_v_6_0_1_7640_PA.sis) and when I right-clicked on this exact file/location whilst the phone was connected in PC Suite mode, I clicked on 'Install using Nokia Installer' it began the install and now it works well.

The only problem is a slight lag on the map display, now I'd like to update the firmware, might this solve the problem and continue running Bluetooth stable and fast?

My version is 11.0.02 01-11-07 RM-320. Please note it's an N95 8GB model. My GPS receiver is a Holux GPSlim236.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: