Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Has anyone used the LiPol battery pack yet?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone used the LiPol battery pack yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jan 14, 2005
Posts: 19638
Location: Blackpool , Lancs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made a note of the question but I think their answer will be to use the latest software version which should be out later this week as it alters the power consumption amongst other things from what I have read, if you can get a copy of the new software you should try it and let us know - Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
lucevans
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 261
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: LiPol battery life update Reply with quote

ManchesterRambler wrote:
Thanks - that's encouraging. If you would be willing to provide an update on battery duration and what power saver settings you are using once the battery does run down, I (and I'm sure a lot of others) would be very interested.

I got disappointing performance last weekend in admittedly cold conditions walking High Street in the Lakes using 7-day-shop.com 2800mAH rechargables. I was repeatedly turning the Satmap off, hoping for a more or less instantaneous lock on turning on, as promised in the instructions. Sat lock could take anything up to 20 minutes to achieve, even at 2200 feet with no overhead obstructions.

It is encouraging, therefore, that you say lock improves with the use of the LiPol battery, and it is good news that the duration with the LiPol is greater even than with Lithium disposables.


Okay - it's finally died....I estimate after ~15 hours real-world use (that includes messing-around with planning mode, messing-around with settings quite a lot as well as leaving it switched-on with power-saving enabled in the top pocket of my rucksack during walks). Now as long as I don't get the recharge memory problems that others here have reported, I'll be happy with that performance - it suits my needs (day walks with access to mains power every evening) so all I can say is: roll on the new software update and any improvements that brings...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marksam
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 26, 2008
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: problem recharging Reply with quote

hi
I have just had the same problem about the battery pack, the next night no power after leaving it on charge overnight Any suggestions that what Im doing wrong.

mark
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rog62
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jan 04, 2008
Posts: 27
Location: Bucks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: problem recharging Reply with quote

marksam wrote:
hi
I have just had the same problem about the battery pack, the next night no power after leaving it on charge overnight Any suggestions that what Im doing wrong.

mark


I had this problem. when I first received the battery I put it on charge and then used it in my SatMap. A couple of days later I tried to switch the unit on and it momentarily came to life...just long enough to warn me the the battery was critical and that it was going to switch off.

I then tried charging....with no success...my initial view was that there was a problem with the charger or lead...so I tried swapping leads and charging from a PC...again no luck. If I switched back to AA cells it was fine.

I then called SatMap who said that they thought the battery charging had not been "initiated"...they told me to charge for 3 hours, take off charge, turn the power on and then off and then put back charge for further 10 hours.

I must admit I was sceptical particularly after the 3 hours when I switched a "lifeless" unit on and then off again....however after the full charge period the unti did come on and indicated a full charge.

Since then I have used the unit regularly but have kept it charged so I am not sure if this is a one time problem when the charge runs right down or an ongoing one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Posts: 229

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: problem recharging Reply with quote

rog62 wrote:
.... SatMap who said that they thought the battery charging had not been "initiated"...they told me to charge for 3 hours, take off charge, turn the power on and then off and then put back charge for further 10 hours
And wouldn't it be typical that they didn't give you any warning that this procedure was necessary?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lucevans
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 261
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now recharged my LiPol battery for the first time, and didn't have any problems. A few observations that might help others:

1) I ran the battery right down until the A10 powered itself down
2) Upon plugging the mains charger into the mini-USB socket in the bootom of the A10, it caused the A10 to power-up, then gave the red "battery low - power-down in 30 seconds" message. At this point, I left the A10 plugged into the charger, but powered the A10 down by holding in the power key on the side of the unit.
3) Left the A10 charging overnight (no metal fireproof box or sand bucket ) Laughing
4) Next morning, switched off charger at wall, disconnected usb charger lead and powered-up A10. It powered-up as normal, and indicated 4 bars power on the battery meter. I've used it for approx. 4.5 hours since then, and battery indicator still reads 4 bars.

From this experience, it seems that if the battery is allowed to completely drain (i.e. auto power down due to low battery) then when power is initially supplied by the charger, the A10 powers-up and starts to charge the battery, but doesn't sense that it's getting operating power from the charger, so it gives the "battery low shut-down" alarm. Shutting it down at this point seems to ensure continued charging of the battery, so that's what I'll be doing, at least until the new firmware update.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ManchesterRambler
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Feb 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Chester, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucevans,

Thanks for the info: sounds like you have a good unit. I'm still struggling with my A10. Satlock time is reasonable (5 minutes-ish if kept stationary) with fresh 2800 rechargeable but I'm still losing the 1:50000 map. I contacted SatMap and they gave me a routine for ensuring faster satlock times but said that the map loss issues were likely to be a software rather than a hardware issue, promising new software within a couple of weeks or so (this was about two weeks ago). I've been abroad for the last week but nothing has arrived whilst I've been away.

I've asked today for a firm date for receipt of the the new firmware, so now awaiting reply.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator


Joined: Jan 14, 2005
Posts: 19638
Location: Blackpool , Lancs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed this morning that SatMap are currently building up a stock of SD cards containing the new software and it will ship out to existing customers imminently, they will also have upgrade cards at the Outdoors Show at the NEC next weekend, I guess that is when my unit will be upgraded, if I take it with me.
SatSync and the new user manual to be put on their web site within the next week - Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
lucevans
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 261
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManchesterRambler wrote:
Lucevans,

Thanks for the info: sounds like you have a good unit. I'm still struggling with my A10. Satlock time is reasonable (5 minutes-ish if kept stationary) with fresh 2800 rechargeable but I'm still losing the 1:50000 map. I contacted SatMap and they gave me a routine for ensuring faster satlock times but said that the map loss issues were likely to be a software rather than a hardware issue, promising new software within a couple of weeks or so (this was about two weeks ago). I've been abroad for the last week but nothing has arrived whilst I've been away.

I've asked today for a firm date for receipt of the the new firmware, so now awaiting reply.


I know it's subjective, but it really feels as if my A10 acquires and keeps satellite lock more easily with the LiPol battery than it did with AAs of any kind. What was the routine Satmap recommended you use to speed up acquisition time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lucevans
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 21, 2007
Posts: 261
Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I was informed this morning that SatMap are currently building up a stock of SD cards containing the new software and it will ship out to existing customers imminently, they will also have upgrade cards at the Outdoors Show at the NEC next weekend, I guess that is when my unit will be upgraded, if I take it with me.
SatSync and the new user manual to be put on their web site within the next week - Mike


Well I can't get to the outdoor show, so I hope they send mine in the post before giving them all away next weekend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ManchesterRambler
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Feb 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Chester, UK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Satmap speedy satlock routine Reply with quote

Lucevans

The routine involves ensuring that there is no SD card or batteries inserted to start with. Put batteries in then go outside and turn unit on.

Stand still with unit upright and wait for base mapping to load.

Lock should take about 5 minutes. After lock obtained press lock to GPS. Then insert map card. Contrary to supplied instructions avoid turning unit on and off, use powersave. That was about it.

Satmap updater card arrived today, though, so hopefully there will be no need for this drill. Revised software gives better power management with 15 second screen off time, advanced power saving with a 4 secondly GPS refresh rather than every second, better power indicator if you have LiPol battery, better sat acquisition with the ability, seemingly, to get lock with fewer satellites i.e. three rather than four (I could be wrong about this), plus a reset button which resets trip log and track data simultaneously. I can also get rechargeables showing 2 bars whereas previously it would show three and then the flashing purple screen of death.

Looking forward to the Satlink software. Things are looking up!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robs1972
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Posts: 310
Location: Plymouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Satmap speedy satlock routine Reply with quote

ManchesterRambler wrote:
Lucevans

The routine involves ensuring that there is no SD card or batteries inserted to start with. Put batteries in then go outside and turn unit on.

Stand still with unit upright and wait for base mapping to load.

Lock should take about 5 minutes. After lock obtained press lock to GPS. Then insert map card. Contrary to supplied instructions avoid turning unit on and off, use powersave. That was about it.

Satmap updater card arrived today, though, so hopefully there will be no need for this drill. Revised software gives better power management with 15 second screen off time, advanced power saving with a 4 secondly GPS refresh rather than every second, better power indicator if you have LiPol battery, better sat acquisition with the ability, seemingly, to get lock with fewer satellites i.e. three rather than four (I could be wrong about this), plus a reset button which resets trip log and track data simultaneously. I can also get rechargeables showing 2 bars whereas previously it would show three and then the flashing purple screen of death.

Looking forward to the Satlink software. Things are looking up!


Any sign of hidden routes when inactive?
_________________
I like mapping, I like mapping, I like mapping and I like to map!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor


Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Posts: 229

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap speedy satlock routine Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Any sign of hidden routes when inactive?
There's a new option in "Settings" called "Routes Control" containing a field entitled "Showing Inactive Routes" which allows the choice of hiding all routes which are not "activated". So you can finally clear the map screen of all those grey worms!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robs1972
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Mar 19, 2007
Posts: 310
Location: Plymouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved my reply to the firmware thread here.
_________________
I like mapping, I like mapping, I like mapping and I like to map!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ManchesterRambler
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Feb 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Location: Chester, UK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Satlock speed Reply with quote

With new firmware, Satlock from cold start, outside, in 1 minute 25 seconds. Not bad!

Satsync also available to download on SatMap's web site now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
20.115 (30 Nov 22)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping