Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How long is a piece of string?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How long is a piece of string?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: How long is a piece of string? Reply with quote

Grateful if anyone can explain this for me. Hopefully it will be sorted by the anticipated software update but in the long meantime can you help me understand the following.

One Monday I went for a walk, setting the track and trip log before I started and switching if off when I finished. The trip Log screen gave a surprisingly high 9.6 miles but that might have been slightly increased over actual by what appeared to be an aberration of a walk while I was having lunch (possibly caused by losing the satellites when I switched it off temporarily).

Today I did the same walk (as near as I could judge it) and got a trip log distance of 8.15 miles!

Both tracks were converted to routes and appear to show that I did walk very similar routes. However when I got the very different distance I looked at the routes and noted that their distances are different again. The one from Monday claims to be 9.2 miles. Today's 9.04 miles.

Now I can accept the difference of 0.16 miles as actual. On Monday in fine weather I strolled around with friends today in cloud and a howling gale I walked quite fast and as directly as possible. But why should the trip logs show different figures from the tracks/routes and from one another?
Satsync 1.525
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

answer: its twice the distance as it from the centre!

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that one route had more waypoints logged so went in a more "wavy" route than the other (less waypoints - straighter route). You say "very similar routes", not "the same route" which probably explains any discrepancies.
Brodit ProClip mount
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You say "very similar routes", not "the same route" which probably explains any discrepancies.

I walked the same track as I can rember after only 4 days. This may account for the 0.16 miles between the two tracks but surely not the 1.45 miles between the trip logs.
Satsync 1.525
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I walked the same track as I can rember after only 4 days. This may account for the 0.16 miles between the two tracks but surely not the 1.45 miles between the trip logs.

I agree with you there. It was in case similar was "visited this village one of the times" or something like that. Smile Apart from a detailed investigation of the logs especially over the break periods.....
Brodit ProClip mount
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: How long is a piece of string? Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
The trip Log screen gave a surprisingly high 9.6 miles but that might have been slightly increased over actual by what appeared to be an aberration of a walk while I was having lunch (possibly caused by losing the satellites when I switched it off temporarily).

Today I did the same walk (as near as I could judge it) and got a trip log distance of 8.15 miles!

Both tracks were converted to routes and appear to show that I did walk very similar routes. ... But why should the trip logs show different figures from the tracks/routes and from one another?

Having switched it off, the unit would have had to re-acquire lock and the initial 'spike' trail will have added a couple of km. I wonder if converting the track disguised the spike so you didn't notice it?

Early on, Satmap reduced the spike from what was a more serious problem. I'm sure they'll fix the remaining problem as soon as they can.

Regards

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: