Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520 showing actual position of vehicle about 100 yards out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520 showing actual position of vehicle about 100 yards out
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: 520 showing actual position of vehicle about 100 yards out Reply with quote

Having used the 520 without a glitch for several months, last night on return from the Trafford centre to Staffordshire I was getting odd directions to get on the M60. When I checked the map, the cursor was showing me about 100 yards to the right of the road I was on. This continued to Sandbach services all the way down the M6, with Jane frantically telling me directions assuming I was on all the lanes down the side of the M way. Checked had lots of satellites, and did a full reset. Same thing- then suddenly jumped back onto the right position at about Keele. Anyone else had anything odd like this?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I had a similar problem once on my old Go300. It only happened the once, on a route I travelled regularly between Brackley & Solihull via the M40. It lasted until I reahed home, but had corrected itself by the time I switched the device on the following morning.
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this once, after few minutes of driving all was fine. Here's what people are reporting on US forum:

http://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=7650

Looks like as some GPS chipset bug... becase its reports the position off-by some distance... interal GPS clock going crazy... hence the differences...
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some other folks have investigated the issue and it looks like it was related to a faulty QuickGPSfix file being offered to download via TT HOME. All users experienced this at the same time, and for all of them problem disappeared after getting new GPSfix file via Home software.

Looks like TomTom put a broken GPSfix file for download... probably some sort of machine error during creating the file as I guess it's fully automated on TomTom side.
fao91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having the same problem!! Shocked
The cursor is 30/40 meters to the right of my actual position.
It happens after i disconect from Home.
The solution:press the reset ,then press the on/off button and keep it pressed until it shows a black screen with system info.Release it and it will boot normaly.Your position is now correct.
pdegg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chaps - if it is the GPSFIX data and not the device then I'm relaxed about it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had exactly the same once before (except 100 yds to the LEFT), and I had it again for almost an entire journey on Saturday.

Powering down, and/or resets didn't help, but it came good after a while.

Interesting that others are having the problem at the same time. Kind of implies that it's a QuickGPSFix issue...
kichu1979
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably on of the GPXfix was broken and all people who experienced the problem downloaded that particular GPSfix file.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had the exact same problem over here in the USA with a UK bought 520. Never had a prob like this till the weekend. Was driving out and about, and from the start, the unit was out by a little. I thought nothing more of it, assuming it was just getting a slow lock on the satellites. Got to the main road, still had me about 100yds left of where i was. So i tried the usual, restart, no luck. reset using a pin, still the same, 100yds to the left. Luckily i knew the way to my destination, i only used the sat nav coz i needed it later that day to an unfamiliar destination. About 20mins later from where i had done the pin reset, and it finally snapped into the correct location. I can only assume, from the above posts that my QuickGPSfix wasnt very accurate, and that after the 20mins or so, the GPS had picked up the actual signal from the viewable satellites from where i was in Orlando. Was a bit strange and somewhat annoying. If i had been on a trip with no idea here i was going, i would have struggled!

iPhone 12
Wishlist
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not so sure QuickGPSfix has anything to do with it as I have never downloaded it and yet it happened to me too! Shocked
shaun43uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen a couple of months ago all I did was go into GPS status and hit the configure button, this seemed to fix it.
agolder
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently having the same problem on my 920. Everything was fine until last Friday, and now it seems to intermittently think it's about 100 yards away from where it actually is. Full reset fixed the problem 1st time, but when subsequently switching off and on again, problem returns. Resetting the unit now seems to have no effect at all.

...interestingly, although normally weekly, tom tom home has offered me updated GPS fix files pretty much every day for the last few days (and yes, I've downloaded them each time, hoping each new one would fix the 'bug'!)... perhaps unrelated co-incidence?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agolder wrote:
I'm currently having the same problem on my 920. Everything was fine until last Friday, and now it seems to intermittently think it's about 100 yards away from where it actually is. Full reset fixed the problem 1st time, but when subsequently switching off and on again, problem returns. Resetting the unit now seems to have no effect at all.

...interestingly, although normally weekly, tom tom home has offered me updated GPS fix files pretty much every day for the last few days (and yes, I've downloaded them each time, hoping each new one would fix the 'bug'!)... perhaps unrelated co-incidence?

I have no explanation for the following except empirical evidence that it has worked for me:

When my unit shows the location being 'off', if I connect the unit to TTHome and engage my Virtual Go, the screen shows me in the proper location (namely, the proper location for my 'home') and this setting 'takes' on the unit and the unit now shows the proper location as well.
StanStill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strange, this happened to me tonight for the first time on my 520. It is showing me 100-200 yards away from my home and I cannot get it to move to the correct position.

I tried the above suggestion about connecting to Home and setting my current location as Home, which it did. When I switched on the 520, it was back to 100-200 yards away. I have tried a reset without success.

Anyone got an answer?
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing with my 720, about 200 yards out to the south.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: