Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Discussions on how to do a word count
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussions on how to do a word count
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Sorry that this post was another "War and Peace" guys,

Wrong! - it was only 842 words.

EDIT - Laughing Sorry, couldn't resist it this time! Feel free to give me a telling off.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
Sorry that this post was another "War and Peace" guys,

Wrong! - it was only 842 words.

EDIT - Laughing Sorry, couldn't resist it this time! Feel free to give me a telling off.

No mate - that's fine - it came with humour, so I am more than happy to accept that one Dennis.

It even made me chuckle.

Erm, may I ask, while we are on good terms - the signature of yours IAM but not IAM so on - erm, what does that actually mean?

Or am I slow?

I'm curious though.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old history.
1. IAMnotIAM
2. The IAM man has a silver Audi and my new (metallic grey or silver) van should have been here for 1st March and isn't even in the country yet.

EDIT - Friendly advice - do a word count yourself before hitting the submit button next time. A lesson I (only partially) learned the hard way myself before you were born (but it's wearing off).

shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Old history.
1. IAMnotIAM
2. The IAM man has a silver Audi and my new (metallic grey or silver) van should have been here for 1st March and isn't even in the country yet.

EDIT - Friendly advice - do a word count yourself before hitting the submit button next time. A lesson I (only partially) learned the hard way myself before you were born (but it's wearing off).

Cheers for the heads up.

Will also do as you say.

However, it would make zilch difference in terms of posts such as that one, as if it didn't amount to the word count it did, it would not have conveyed the message to the same degree.

My point being (friendly for sure that is) that for SOME posts, a high word count is utterly unavoidable, in order to convey the extent of information needed.

Much like the excellent, but extremely lengthy, recent post by the user who gave a great description of how Truvelos work.

A post, as long as it was, that you I believe, congratulated him on your very self (even though it was very lengthy).

So I shall indeed endeavour to keep them as short as possible - provided however it does not mean the post will lose useful information in so doing.

Thus, just like the truvelo post, I trust you will accept those posts that are long, but for good reason, and therefore accept that some posts need it.

I accept that others don't though, so I will wrap this one up now by saying thanks for the explanation of the signature, and the interesting tale that goes with it.

Cheers.

(And yes, in the interest of HUMOUR, I am only joking - this post was deliberately longer than it could have been to in fact indicate I understand your point)

Hope your van issue gets sorted soon too Dennis.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to perpetuate this, but I feel I must make one last effort and I mean very last! I'm doing so out in the open, simply because I don't allow many people inside my space - I have the magnificent total of six MSN contacts and my email addressbook has a group called ALL which I created to notify everybody of my change of ISP - it contains fifteen entries.

This is offered in a spirit of advice, not adverse criticism.

So, there are two points to make ...

First and the most important point.
I read elsewhere that you were once a teacher. You should not need me to remind you that communication will fail immediately the pupil's attention is lost. That'll vary from content to content, but your post lost mine after the first 42 words, so 800 were like scattering pearls amongst the DennisN swine. My Grammar School English teacher would have slaughtered it - she did it with a red pen and almost cured me!

Second point.
The answer wasn't necessary. She used to say "Read the question, then answer it". Look back at puppet1984's original problem - he's getting excess warnings despite having set "warn only on route". So he already knows what he's doing - he's assessed the implications of the options and deliberately chooses this one. He doesn't need your explanation. But after Andy's comprehensive reply, he did ask the three questions which you chose to quote
Quote:
oh so its tom tom itself?
it considers a slip road its not telling me to take and i have no intention of taking to be on route?
can anyone recommend a better gps?
Your answer should have simply said ..

1. Yes.
2. Yes (Andy did just that already).
3. Help yourself, fill your boots. Go for it! Give him the rest of your 842 words on all the gps devices which do what he wants (always bearing in mind my English teacher's red pen hovering in the background).

Now search my every post and you'll find that I regularly forget all the above!! AND for extra measure, I throw in deliberate spelling and grammatical errors (I have a twisted sense of humour - my sister would understand most of them, but I have feeling a lot are wasted except on myself) AND frequently feel the need to go off topic (again, it's usually for my own twisted mind to smile at, I don't know how many people see it too).
Despite my every effort, the foregoing is 416 words.

shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - how's this for me practising BREVITY:

I was furious, just furious, with your Double Standards, and Hypocrisy Dennis - it is the lowest thing a person can be in my book.

Until I read on... And saw the humour and self-sarcasm in your post at the and.

Phew... relief, and laughs here too mate, cheers.

56 words - quality!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I gave the 'brevity' answer, I must also give the PROPER one too however (like you Dennis, it must be MY twisted sense of humour though)...

So...

1 - Thanks for reading the first 42 words of my post - that's an improvement for you (grins light-heartedly)

2 - Grammar schools, and talk of Grammar School teachers and grammar school rules.... Good for you mate... I think I remember someone once telling me what those where... But they are not a creature of OUR time now Dennis, so waht matter to me in the least, what your old Grammar School Teacher taught you...? It has ZERO relevance to me in THIS day and age, that we live NOW mate - any more so than Latin is of any use or merit to me. So I just skipped straight past THAT advice *Laughing Out Loud* (I think what I am saying here, humorously at that, is that YOU live in MY time now Dennis, NOT the other way round - sad as that might be for you to bare Wink )

3 - "Just answer the question". Terribly poor response to offer mate... If all people did on here was "answer the question" as asked, and venture nothing further, this site would be an utter waste of time and space. 98% of the best posts on here, those with freely ventured, useful info, would not even exist. Indeed the Truvelo post you rate so highly... that was not in answer to a question - it was helpful information, freely given, whilst not specifically asked for. So that idea of yours is worth zero mate. It must be why Grammar schools died out perhaps (grins again). And I answered as I did, specifically because mere days ago I read the very same information actually freely offered from another user, and it made ME realise, and see things in a different light. So KNOWING that it works, is why I offered it here. Quite aside from any of which, this is an Information Forum, NOT an English Literature Exam, and the two are a million miles apart, so rules applicable to English Essays, have scant little relevance here, even though you might wish it were different, and back to your old Grammar School Days.

4 - My posts are long, so you only read the first 42 words. Forgive me, where is it posted anywhere that you even need to read my posts AT ALL - no user is under ANY compulsion to be forced to read my posts - as soon as they see my name, if they don't like, they can simply page down (it's only one button press) to the next post. By the same token, nowhere does it say on this site, that anyone is COMPELLED to reply to my posts either. Again, if they don't like, just ignore. In fact, as my post was not about any person, it is supremely easy to ignore it.

And finally, NONE of this is offered controversially, as I am aware, you already clarified the humour to your prior post.

Oh, and I don't know what my word count for this one is, as it's so HIGH it would take too long to count *Laughing Out Loud*

(Oops, there's that *Laughing Out Loud* - lots of laughs, that you dislike too)

Wink

I'm being quite the naughty school-boy rebel here today, so it's alright Dennis, I fully expect you to give me one week's after school detention.

Very Happy
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
blah blah blah, blah blah blah...

I seriously doubt that anyone is reading your posts now. I certainly tired of them very early on. People just don't have the attention span these days. So why don't you give your keyboard a break?

Last edited by bmuskett on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
Oh, and I don't know what my word count for this one is, as it's so HIGH it would take too long to count *Laughing Out Loud*

after you run out of fingers and toes copy & paste into word and do a word count - 580 words or 2440 characters or 3021 characters including spaces
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
blah blah blah, blah blah blah...

I seriously doubt that anyone is reading your posts now. I certainly tired of them very early on. People just don't have the attention span these days. So why don't you give your keyboard a break?

EDITED:

I had originally posted to say a simple, "No one FORCES you to read my posts. Also, no one FORCES you to reply".

But that is waaaaaaaay too obvious it would seem.

So I thought it best I edit my reply, just to say a simple:

"Yes sir, if you say so sir, three bags full sir"

To you both.

So:

"Yes sir!"
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
I had originally posted to say a simple, "No one FORCES you to read my posts. Also, no one FORCES you to reply".

But that is waaaaaaaay too obvious it would seem.

So I thought it best I edit my reply, just to say a simple:

"Yes sir, if you say so sir, three bags full sir"

To you both.

So:

"Yes sir!"

50 words where 2 would have done. You just can't help yourself, can you?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CORRECTION!! Make that 63 words, where 2 would suffice Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
I think what I am saying here, humorously at that, is that YOU live in MY time now Dennis, NOT the other way round - sad as that might be for you to bare Wink

Back in my day, I used to go next door and beg the pensioner "Please mister, can I have my ball back?" Now, I have to go and ask the 35-year old for my bits of greenhouse! Why did I never own the world? Confused

Switch the lights off when you leave.

GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Why did I never own the world? Confused

I don't know, pocketDENNISNworld.com has quite a ring to it Thumbs Up
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least SIX posts here from people whingeing, that are COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC.

And yet it will be ME that get's blamed for being a troll or whatever.

Now does anyone else find that fact alone hilarious?

Also, I am slated for my word count.

How many words did YOU LOT waste, with the irrelevant, off topic, and unnecessary replies? Well, come on???

Again, if you don't like, just IGNORE.

Is it really too hard for you all to grasp, when you all claim to be educated?

Not so much quite aimed at Dennis however, as his posts are (EDITED - its meant to say humerous) numerous, if you are intelligent enough to see it, so cheers Dennis

Last edited by shadamehr on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: