Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aaarrrgggh, Flamin Out of office and Auto Reply Emails Grrr
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aaarrrgggh, Flamin Out of office and Auto Reply Emails Grrr
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Aaarrrgggh, Flamin Out of office and Auto Reply Emails Grrr Reply with quote

Why oh why oh why do people feel the need to configure auto-response emails on private email addresses? NTHell users seem the worst, I can only presume that NTL advertise the service and so their customers feel compelled to use it!

I've just sent out the Newsletter. This goes to about 100,000 recipients and every time it goes out we are then bombarded by 'I have received your email' messages. I really don't care, if you receive it then great but I don't need to know!

It's a complete waste of time and bandwidth. I can almost understand if it's a business and you need to let a customer know you have received the email or you are away and so cannot reply immediately but receiving thousands of 'The Jones Family have received your message' emails is maddening.

And yes I have configured rules to block the Out Of office and Auto reply emails but too many still get through as everyone uses a different title!

Oh and even though I have added the 'DO NOT REPLY TO THIS ADDRESS' in bold red text at the top of the email we still get a few hundred mails each week to the address!

There, I feel better now!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read your post.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comedian Wink
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaarrrgggh, Flamin Out of office and Auto Reply Emails G Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And yes I have configured rules to block the Out Of office and Auto reply emails but too many still get through as everyone uses a different title!

Can you not configure it so that the newsletters are 'sent' from an invalid address so that these auto-replies just bounce back to 'the Jones family'?

At the moment, newsletterAT...exists and is valid, however, if xxxxxAT.... was not a valid address, 'the Jones family' would receive an error message saying that xxxxAT.... does not exist

Perhaps, after the Jones family's inbox fills up with bounced mail messages, they might take the hint and disable the auto-reply

Also, your message of 'do not reply' would become irrelevant because people would not be ABLE to reply to this address
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest something similar what GPS_Fan said but you must have a mailbox for it. Bouncing messages again just wastes more bandwidth and doesn't solve the problem.

I set the same thing up for a customer and now he sends his messages from no-reply [at] xyz . co . uk . The mail box is set to delete ANY message that arrives there including spam.

edit: poor typing skills

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Aaarrrgggh, Flamin Out of office and Auto Reply Emails G Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Can you not configure it so that the newsletters are 'sent' from an invalid address so that these auto-replies just bounce back to 'the Jones family'?

At the moment, newsletterAT...exists and is valid, however, if xxxxxAT.... was not a valid address, 'the Jones family' would receive an error message saying that xxxxAT.... does not exist

Also, your message of 'do not reply' would become irrelevant because people would not be ABLE to reply to this address

Sadly not, we use a third party package to manage Newsletters because of the Spam issues. This understandably requires a valid email address be used.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sadly not, we use a third party package to manage Newsletters because of the Spam issues. This understandably requires a valid email address be used.

My idea no good then?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is (and my initial post was just me venting hot air) that there are pleas for help sent to the Newsletter address that we can't ignore simply because the sender has ignored the instructions.

Since posting this morning I have added 15 more rules to the filter to grab more of the auto responder posts and bin them.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to tell you about the 90-10 rule sometime.....
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you invalidate the newsletterAT... address for a while (maybe an hour) before and after sending out the newsletter so that auto-replies are dealt with in that time. A simple process which would be quicker and easier than trawling through hundreds of messages.

If the mail servers do not recognise the e-mail address, then any bouncing of messages will not affect PGPSW bandwidth because it will occur before messages come near PGPSW.

Alternatively, do any valid e-mails come into this account (eg from the newsletter provider) or could you just forward all messages into a dormant account and forget about them?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again it would risk losing mails that need action, I'm aware of the 90/10 rule but we're not begin enough that we can afford to ignore emails just yet!

As I said, I was just blowing hot air, there isn't a solution that would work for us other than educating mail users that auto responders are there for a purpose, and saying 'Hi Got your email' isn't one of them'!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm aware of the 90/10 rule

Was meant as a joke! Just Googled it! To be honest i didn't know there was a 90/10 rule - it was an in joke between myself and a client which actually turns out is true (for him at least). Your 90/10 rule might not be the same as ours!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound crazy, but...

would it help if you sent out a message to the newsletter distribution list?

A greater proportion of members would see your message as opposed to just people who read 'off topic', for something which is 'on topic' to PGPSW, although difficult to categorise
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud! I was thinking of the rule where you should not spend 90% of your time dealing with 10% of the work, i.e. if they're too stupid to email the correct addresses then ignore them, they'll either realise and email the correct address eventually or will stop bothering you Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was thinking of the rule where you should not spend 90% of your time dealing with 10% of the work, i.e. if they're too stupid to email the correct addresses then ignore them, they'll either realise and email the correct address eventually or will stop bothering you

Yes. That's the fella..... Laughing Ah well, another original idea of mine that's not original...... Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: