Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driving pet hates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driving pet hates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giblets46
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorry drivers who try and overtake one another at the speed of an oak tree growing (because they are both speed limited to 90kph). They tend to pick dual carriageways, and favour hills, the best part is when they have nearly overtaken the other HGV before coming to a hill/ end of a hill and then falling back behind the original lorry, at exactly the same pace.
I was behind one on the M42 (dual carriageway section), took four miles to over take the other, must have saved him at least 10secs on his journey!

Think we should ban cars travelling at less than 60mph on the motorway (and wide/ slow loads that cannot keep up with traffic), and HGV's overtaking during certain hours (or depending on traffic levels) like in Germany.
Has the added advantage of stopping people who claim they are intimidated by 'HGV's in their rear view mirrors' (probably because they are going 45mph), and so stick to the first overtaking lane (aka the middle lane), which brings me to...

lane hogs, oblivious that they are keeping everyone behind them, the Highways agency even hae a poster/ video on it now!
http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/15798.aspx
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lorry drivers who try and overtake one another at the speed of an oak tree growing (because they are both speed limited to 90kph). They tend to pick dual carriageways, and favour hills, the best part is when they have nearly overtaken the other HGV before coming to a hill/ end of a hill and then falling back behind the original lorry, at exactly the same pace.
I was behind one on the M42 (dual carriageway section), took four miles to over take the other, must have saved him at least 10secs on his journey!
Yep, the proverbial 'rolling road block'!!! I wouldn't mind a pound for every time it's happened to me, especially when they pull out to overtake just as you are getting level with their rear end. One blink on their blinker, if you're lucky, and they're out. Even more annoying when it's a three lane road and I'm in the middle lane doing 70 and have to brake hard. I'm then left stuck behind the lorry and can't overtake because of the solid line of traffic on the outside lane doing 80+.

Just as bad is when drivers who were doing in excess of 70 in the outside lane pull in to let a faster driver pass but then slow up to 60 or less in front of me. As above, I am then stuck behind the ****** without any chance of overtaking because of the faster cars in the outside lane.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 9 years whitevanning, I don't think I can recall many serious examples of bad driving by an HGV driver. We all need to remember that these people are at work and whenever we block them, we're giving them a lot of extra effort - don't some of them have more gears than a racing bicycle? Going up and down those can't be fun when some plonker in a car obstructs the road in front of them. Bad driving is far more prevalent amongst other classes of road user - think carefully, would you rather ban lorries or black VWs, Audis, Mercs and Beamers? I know my answer!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think I can recall many serious examples of bad driving by an HGV driver.
Try the M2 or especially the M20 DennisN, when they are running late getting to Dover or when a ship has just offloaded and they are all 'bombing' London bound.

Last October I was returning from France, having used Eurotunnel, and travelled on the M20, there was lorry after lorry nose to tail all travelling at about 55 with the odd one in lane 2 doing about 2 mph more than the others. They were so close I couldn't get in to take my turn off at Maidstone and only just made the next one. Sad

The vast majority of HGV's are fine but when one has pulled straight into your path in lane 2, you tend not to forget it.
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
What about drivers who abuse the 'baby on board' or 'child on board' sign thingies and totally, utterly and complete negate their true purpose.

Yes, why doesn't the government ignore mobile phone users, tailgaters, speed freaks, lane wanderers/hoggers and target these real abusers. Laughing
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:
Yes, why doesn't the government ignore mobile phone users, tailgaters, speed freaks, lane wanderers/hoggers and target these real abusers. Laughing

This just shows the ignorance of people regarding the real intended purpose of "baby on board" thingies.

Oh well, all I can say is I just hope the emergency services know whether to look for a missing kiddy by the powers of telepathy when they turn up to an accident YOU are involved and I'm glad my child isn't in a car you're driving
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
bensonboo wrote:

This just shows the ignorance of people regarding the real intended purpose of "baby on board" thingies.
I'm glad my child isn't in a car you're driving

This shows the lack of sense of humour of people on internet forums, but if you judge a drivers ability to keep a child safe on whether they've got a sticker in their car or not then I pity your child. Equally, if whether someone has a sticker in their car BUT not a child has become a pet hate for you, I pity you too.
I won't lose sleep over it. Rolling Eyes
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I'm so relieved to have your pity, but the subject of this thread is supposed to be driving pet hates, not taking the P out of other members.

We're all entitled to an opinion and just because somebody says something you disagree with, it doesn't mean they're wrong.

PS sarcasm doesn't save a child's life - correct use of a "baby on board" thingy might just do so

I'm not taking the p out of anyone and as I'm entitled to an opinion, it is mine that people's 'ignorance' of the correct usage of a sticker isn't that big a deal, when there are so many more important and dangerous things to worry about on the road, it won't become a pet hate of mine, nor a basis of whether they are fit to transport my kids.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:
This shows the lack of sense of humour of people on internet forums

Grumpy old man on board!!

I'm so relieved to have your pity, but the subject of this thread is supposed to be driving pet hates, not taking the P out of other members.

We're all entitled to an opinion and just because somebody says something you disagree with, it doesn't mean they're wrong.

PS sarcasm doesn't save a child's life - correct use of a "baby on board" thingy might just do so
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's weird, it seems I guessed what you might reply and so nearly got it word perfect, I've never seen a forum that droppped a post down the times it was posted when editing is done.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Grumpy old man on board!!

I probably not far off qualifying for one of those! Laughing

GPS_fan wrote:

I'm with bensonboo here. I have two kids and I think those baby on board stickers mean nothing - a sticker saying "Sleep deprived, grumpy and distracted parent on board" is what they really mean.

There is certainly no way a harrassed new parent is going to go taking the sticker on and off the car every time they put the child in and out. My experience is that there are more pressing matters to deal with when you have an infant in the car. Wink

And for the record - NO, I would never have one of those stupid stickers. Mad
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there probably are more serious 'offences', but 99.999999% of them seem to be covered already.

...and, whilst I see where you're coming from, those 'baby on board' thingies do have a genuine purpose when used correctly and in Scandinavia (where they originated) have been proven to save lives when a child has been thrown from a vehicle in a collision.

Me, myself and I are unanymous on that one Wink
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for some which someone else might also agree with:

idiots who overtake across solid white lines; approaching bends, hill brows or hidden dips

people who try overtaking a line of traffic without gaps large enough for them to pull back into without forcing other to take evasive action

people who cut right across from the outside lane of a motorway to take an exit which has been signposted for at least a mile

people who pull out right in front of you as you approach to overtake them and then don't pull back in after they've passed whatever they pulled out for - at least on the continent, drivers may pull out but at least they generally pull straight back in
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensonboo wrote:
Now that's weird, it seems I guessed what you might reply and so nearly got it word perfect

I'd better be careful what I'm thinking then...I must have skipped school the day they covered telepathy Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PocketGPSWorld sticker on my back window. But I have to agree with GPS_fan. Those baby stickers are supposed to tell the emergency services to blast the thing open to get the baby out of a mangled vehicle, fast. Driving round with a little cutie sticker is stopping them from doing so on the one occasion when it's necessary. Just like house and car alarms - nobody pays any attention to them these days.

Is there a Grumpy old fat man Smileycon, mostdom?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: