Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How is Traffic best used
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How is Traffic best used

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
red24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: How is Traffic best used Reply with quote

Just got a new 720 and now have a subscription to Traffic.
How is it best used? Do I keep Traffic enabled all the time, useful for my journey back and forth to work, if I do it seems my mobile is disconnected! Not good!

Don't really understand the option of downloading updated traffic, whats the best way to use this option.

Someone give me a clue please.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: How is Traffic best used Reply with quote

red24 wrote:
Just got a new 720 and now have a subscription to Traffic.
How is it best used? Do I keep Traffic enabled all the time, useful for my journey back and forth to work, if I do it seems my mobile is disconnected! Not good!

Don't really understand the option of downloading updated traffic, whats the best way to use this option.

Someone give me a clue please.

I only use this feature when I'm on a long journey, and rarely when I'm commuting to and from work, as there isn't really scope to use alternative routes. If there's a traffic jam, then I'm stuck in it!
I have no problems with making and receiving calls (using hand free) whilst connected to TT Traffic, and it works quite well.
I find it is better to power on TT AFTER I have powered on my mobile phone though.
My TT updates approx every 15 mins (I think) and seems to be ok for me. Costs pennies for a trip from canterbury to lincoln.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
red24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, after using it for a few days now I sort of understand it better. I use it for work journeys as I use the A1, London bound and traffics a nightmare each journey.

If I enable traffic it does tell me some delays so I do have an option, I use a mobile bluetooth link and never had a problem with my previous 510, this one keeps disconnecting my phone which is a pain in the bum.

Is there a way to resolve this?
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your question is How is it best used?
Ans. In the OFF mode.
red24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that reply, actually it works a lot better now I have a different phone. At least they both stay connected at the same time now.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red24 wrote:
Thanks for that reply, actually it works a lot better now I have a different phone. At least they both stay connected at the same time now.

If it is ok could you list your old and new phone as it would be good for future reference. Smile
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
red24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, old phone was a Motorola Pebl, traffic updated with it through Bluetooth but the connection on the phone never stayed on and I had to keep reconnecting it. I need to have the phone on as I'm on the road a lot for work.

New phone is a Blackberry 8800, Traffic connects and updates as it should and I always have a phone connection.
I can appreciate that if Traffic is updating I might not be able to use the phone - haven't had the need to use it at this time.
tjosborn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with the 'turn it off' comment. I've lost count of the number of times i've been told I have a 3 hour delay on the M40 coming home only to breeze straight through. I think most people quickly learn not to trust traffic on their daily commute. The reports are out of date, something the new HD service may address (not holding my breath though).
red24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red24 wrote:

New phone is a Blackberry 8800, Traffic connects and updates as it should and I always have a phone connection.

Shame I ever made that comment, can't get Traffic or my phone to work together at all now, 'fraid I spoke too soon.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just started using Traffic via GPRS and on a Monday rush hour commute along the M4 this week round to Watford noticed a few things.

1) The connection between the TT(720) and the phone seems to have been far more reliable since I created a partnership from the TT rather than the phone. First time round I did it the other way and had continuous problems holding a connection until I deleted the partnership and started again from the TT.

2)On a route where previously I would have been lucky to get a signal for about 10% of the time with a TMC antenna I had a signal (green dot) for the entire journey with the data refreshing about every 4 minutes

3) The traffic messages predicted where the congestion was with reasonable accuracy but the delays varied significantly e.g. where it suggested I could expect a 50 minute delay I was held up for 20 mins or so but I guess that is the dynamic nature of congestion and my Trafficmaster Freeway was predicting much more accurate delays anyway. In fairness the 50 minutes warning dropped to about 20 mins after a short while.

In summary therefore, once paired correctly (and as also recommended by TT support) I had far better and more consistent reception than with a string aerial and the data supplied predicted fairly accurately where the holds up where even if the suggested delays were overstated.

Interestingly though it correctly showed the roadworks around Slough whilst completely missing the similar works ongoing at Reading so it seems I have found a reliable source of transmission. All we need now is some accurate data but knowing ITIS I shall not hold my breath Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perussell wrote:
2)On a route where previously I would have been lucky to get a signal for about 10% of the time with a TMC antenna I had a signal (green dot) for the entire journey with the data refreshing about every 4 minutes
The refresh frequency is up to you to specify - if you have done nothing to it, it's using the default it came with. You can specify how often it should do so. The green dot is not a TMC signal, more like "I'm switched on and working and have downloaded some data" - the data comes through your phone, so you can't compare the two "signals".

The essence of your comment is, however, valid - the Traffic service is more reliable through GPRS (phone) than RDS-TMC (aerial). The one that doesn't work (RDS-TMC) is free (after the price of the aerial), the one that does work costs the price of data downloads from your phone service provider, plus your annual subscription to TomTom. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: