Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - UK vs US English Install
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

UK vs US English Install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WereDude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: UK vs US English Install Reply with quote

I have finally taken the plunge and decided to buy Copilot Live instead of TTN2 and I am very pleased with my choice thanks to the excellent info provided on this site.

I just have one little query, when I installed the software I selected UK English and was only given the choice of male wav and male TTS. If I select US English I get male and female TTS and male wav. This seems a little strange to me and I was wondering what the difference was without having to mess about trying them.

Any ideas anyone?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a number of word spoken differently - rotary/roundabout, highway/motorway, and the numbers are spoken with an american accent.

Generally you should select female voices. Their frequency spectrum is better suited for in car noise.

(The only place where that doesn't work is Italy - the italian guys have a cultural issue to be told what to do by a woman. No kiddin')

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the most recent releases of CPL, and I can't get the wave file voice to work. I can get the male UK Text to speech voice, but it gives too much detail (which takes too long) and the software can't cope with Welsh street names! The guys at Alk have been very helpful (including emailing files which work at their end) but we haven't been able to fix it yet (bought mid-Jan)
Robin
ap
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was not given an option of a female Engilsh voice. Does one exist?
Personally I prefer the text to speech.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you explore the file in the CoPilot installation on your desktop, there is a female (American) TTS voice which works on my PDA. But the pronunciation is so bizarre that I quickly changed back to the European English male TTS voice. But I wish I could get the wave file to work.....the wave generated voive on TomTom is so much easier to follow when driving
Robin
BigH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that explains it, I too installed the UK version and only got the male choice of TTS or wave. I installed the TTS so far and have to say I am not overly impressed. I recently completed my first test, Basingstoke, Dortmund, Apeldoorn and return. The TTS did it's best but I'm afraid it is pretty difficult to comprehend at times. I am going to try the wave files next. I am disapointed at the lack of a female option as I always found it easier on the ear (NAVMAN ST Pro). It's a pity the advertising blurb is not a bit more accurate.

On a slightly different subject I noticed a couple of routing quirks that are a little dissapointing - on two occasions when two motorways intersected (Ghent A10 to A14 and Amersfoort A1 to A28) Copilot thought it better to try and cut the corner and send me down some side roads, this was not only longer but a hell of a lot slower!! - so much for selecting the fastest route. I think that improvements could also be made to speed sensitive scaling of maps whilst under guidance, this is virtually useless. I got used to this on NAVMAN and miss this useful function. I was impressed that Copilot could plan a route from the UK across the channel to Europe (this always cuased NAVMAN to crash and burn!!) in one hit and pick what I consider to be the best route.

My summary so far, a great routing engine and decent maps, however let down with poor map contrast/visuals.

Still more testing required, I trip around central London is usually a good test bed which I hope to tryout soon.

Regards BigH

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: