Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigate 7 for PPC - can't get working!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigate 7 for PPC - can't get working!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Navigate 7 for PPC - can't get working! Reply with quote

Well my excitement was short lived when Navigate 7 arrived in the post this morning! I installed from CD onto the memory card, put it into my phone (T-Mobile Vario 2/HTC TyTn running Windows Mobile 6) and...nothing. No autorun. So I installed manually by running the exe from the 2577 folder, started it up and...couldn't detect my bluetooth GPS (which is working fine with other apps).

I tried upgrading to the latest support update (7.0.3489) - this time it seems to detect my GPS (at least it asks if I want to run without if the GPS is off) but still doesn't work. If I have the GPS connected, it just opens to an almost blank map (think it's somewhere in the middle of nowhere) but there are no buttons, no status bar and I can't do anything - even tap to get to the menu to quit. I have to press the hardware Start button and close Navigate through the memory app. If I try to run without GPS, it gets as far as the disclaimer page. Then when I press "I Accept" it just shows the "busy " symbol and locks up. Again, I have to go to the memory app and close it from there.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be wrong? How old is the latest bugfix

Thanks,
Tim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought what version of Route 66 have you been supplied with, SmartPhone, Symbian or PPC, if its not the latter then it needs to be - Mike
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Definitely the PPC version.

"Route 66 Navigate 7 for Pocket PC"

Part number on the back of the box is "GBR/IRL-7100-PPC-CD". As an aside, my previous thread said I'd ordered the Europe version - I did, but that turned out to be the PND version so I ordered the UK PPC version afterwards, which is the one I'm trying to get working now!

It seems to run - it just doesn't seem to work!

Cheers,
Tim
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I seem to have got a little bit further. The thing seems to be working(ish), in that although the Windows busy wheel is on screen almost constantly whilst R66 is running you can still use it! Confused
However, it's pretty much useless as the status bar (where the directions are shown) doesn't draw properly. For example, if I go into the menus and plan a route, I can get back to the map and see the route on the map itself. However, the bottom 1/4 of the screen where the blue status bar should be isn't drawn and it's left showing the bottom 1/4 of the last menu I was in! It's also quite unstable - you can tap a button and nothing will happen except that no menus will work at all any more and I have to press the centre hard button (select) to get it to redraw the screen and try again.

Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks,
Tim
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, can you stop all other applications before starting Route 66 and see if this makes any difference, your device could be running short of memory.
Try Start/ Settings_System Tab/ Memory_Currently Running Programs then select Stop All - Mike
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

No joy. Tried a hard reset (27mb free program memory immediately after boot up) then tried R66 and it still does exactly the same thing.

Thanks again,
Tim
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj80

Try checkng the R66 website for compatability, I was going to try Nav 7 on my Artemis but it is not on their list of supported phones.

theripper
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you the Route 66 Nav 7 application works very well on the Artemis, I have been using it on my P3300 for quite some time with no issues at all - Mike
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed R66 support and they said that there are "some issues" with Windows Mobile 6, but that there are no problems with Windows Mobile 5 (regardless of device). I also contacted the retailer who said it should work fine. I guess I've hit those "issues" but really if R66 advertise that it works on Windows Mobile 2003 "or later" then they should get on and fix it!
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bit the bullet at downgraded my device back to Windows Mobile 5. Forgotten how much I prefer WM6, but Route 66 does at least now work! Having said that I'm not convinced about it versus TomTom. The traffic is good (though it's only detected two jams so far which turned out not to exist). The routing's sometimes a bit odd and I find the interface quite non-intuitive compared to TomTom. Although it has 7 digit postcode search it doesn't seem to understand house numbers. It takes an age to start because it always looks for a GPS (TomTom just picks it up whenever it finds it even whilst running) and this morning it crashed, apparantly in a strop because I ignored it's reroute around a non-existant traffic jam!
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj80 wrote:
....and this morning it crashed, apparantly in a strop because I ignored it's reroute around a non-existant traffic jam!

Have also had this when I didnt free up enough memory on my device before launching.

It is very memory hungry and uses on my device in the region of 15-20mb of program memory.

I think more memory is needed when downloading traffic updates and for subsequent rerotues - so its most likely you'll get to crash at that point.

Matt
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to flash my device back down to Windows Mobile 5 to get this to work and have taken out all the operator add-ons etc - quite hard to get back much more memory! Still, I'll persevere. I have a couple more questions but I'll start a new thread to keep it on topic.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Cheers,
Tim.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: