Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very annoying...again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very annoying...again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
Should have bought a Garmin.
Why exactly? I have a GPSmap 60CSx and I bought the Satmap because it does what the Garmin doesn't, i.e. show me where I am on a good, readable, map so I don't have to cart a sheet of paper around (other than perhaps as a back-up.) I appreciate, of course, that until you get your unit sorted, it isn't doing this either, but my Garmin wasn't reliable either, at first, until I overcame an issue with duff battery contacts, and the autorouting function is poor and the Mapsource mapping data isn't a patch on the OS you get with the Satmap.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin don't have a unit that offers the functionality the Satmap has, no Garmin offers OS mapping.

I appreciate you have had issues but it's a first generation product and they are working hard to resolve the bugs. Let's resists the desire to berate it at every opportunity until you have either spoke with them or the update has been released?

If you do have a duff unit and they don't offer to replace it or the update doesn't fix the issues then fair enough, until then we should at least give them the opportunity to resolve the issues.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Garmin don't have a unit that offers the functionality the Satmap has, no Garmin offers OS mapping.

I appreciate you have had issues but it's a first generation product and they are working hard to resolve the bugs. Let's resists the desire to berate it at every opportunity until you have either spoke with them or the update has been released?

If you do have a duff unit and they don't offer to replace it or the update doesn't fix the issues then fair enough, until then we should at least give them the opportunity to resolve the issues.

I've contacted them haven't I? So I'm waiting for a reply. I'm not berating it every opportunity just reporting on my experiences.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:
Should have bought a Garmin.
Why exactly? I have a GPSmap 60CSx and I bought the Satmap because it does what the Garmin doesn't, i.e. show me where I am on a good, readable, map so I don't have to cart a sheet of paper around (other than perhaps as a back-up.) I appreciate, of course, that until you get your unit sorted, it isn't doing this either, but my Garmin wasn't reliable either, at first, until I overcame an issue with duff battery contacts, and the autorouting function is poor and the Mapsource mapping data isn't a patch on the OS you get with the Satmap.

Why exactly? Because at least then I wouldn't have purchased a first generation unit that's riddled with problems. I paid the £500+ for the unit. For that sort of money one expects a lot better.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
I've contacted them haven't I? So I'm waiting for a reply. I'm not berating it every opportunity just reporting on my experiences.

Then at least give them the opportunity to reply.

I'm simply pointing out that whilst we realise you are unhappy, unless you have issues to discuss then simply posting comments such as 'Should have bought a Garmin' add nothing to the discussion.

We're not trying to hide any issues and I'm not censoring your opinions, merely asking for some restraint unless you have something pertinent to add.
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I paid the £500+ for the unit. For that sort of money one expects a lot better.

What is your gold lined or something. I wish people would stop all the moaning and support Satmap. If you really aren't happy get a refund and move on.

Rolling Eyes Mad
Yasack
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said on a number of occasions to give them a ring, their customer support is very good, if you don't know the numbers:

tel 0845 873 0101
fax 0845 873 0104

E-mail can easily be blocked or simply inadvertantly missed, I am not saying this applies in this case but I would talk to them first - I have on a number of occasions and found the service very good - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
Why exactly? Because at least then I wouldn't have purchased a first generation unit that's riddled with problems. I paid the £500+ for the unit. For that sort of money one expects a lot better.
I absolutely agree that £500 should get you kit that works - so should £50 for that matter - what I meant was, why might you be regretting not buying a Garmin when its functionality is so different? And, yes, I guess we do have to be realistic and acknowledge that it's not a perfect world and early adopters usually pay a price in more ways than just the cost.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:

Then at least give them the opportunity to reply.

I'm simply pointing out that whilst we realise you are unhappy, unless you have issues to discuss then simply posting comments such as 'Should have bought a Garmin' add nothing to the discussion.

We're not trying to hide any issues and I'm not censoring your opinions, merely asking for some restraint unless you have something pertinent to add.

I was just letting off some steam by that comment. If you think I need to show some restraint then this is clearly not the place then to voice an opinion. I was simply being honest.

I will await a response to my email from Satmap which I sent to them on Monday. Most companies in this day and age are able to handle enquiries via email. By phoning all I will do is read out my email to them over the phone. I don't really want to have to do that, nor should I have to.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasack wrote:
Quote:
I paid the £500+ for the unit. For that sort of money one expects a lot better.

What is your gold lined or something. I wish people would stop all the moaning and support Satmap. If you really aren't happy get a refund and move on.

Rolling Eyes Mad
Yasack

I was simply voicing an honest opinion after spending £500+ on something which doesn't work. Yes I am unhappy, I don't want a refund. I like the idea of the Satmap Active 10, I simply want a unit that works as it should do for that sort of money. Now get of my case, thank you.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
I was just letting off some steam by that comment. If you think I need to show some restraint then this is clearly not the place then to voice an opinion. I was simply being honest.

I will await a response to my email from Satmap which I sent to them on Monday. Most companies in this day and age are able to handle enquiries via email. By phoning all I will do is read out my email to them over the phone. I don't really want to have to do that, nor should I have to.

True, I find it very annoying when a company operate via the internet yet can't be bothered to adequately handle email contacts. However, much as email is convenient, you can't beat a phone call nd we know they are still handling these effectively.

I do know that Satmap are a small outfit and at this particular time are beavering away trying to resolve the known issues. This may explain the poor response to email but I agree it doesn't excuse it.

I'm not unsympathetic to your plight, we all desperately want the products issue to be fixed and it is a considerable investment for a device that is apparently so buggy. Keep us in the loop and if you don't get a response by Monday let us know here and we can try giving them a gentle nudge.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than keep pestering Satmap and to allow them to try to resolve the many issues (not all of which may be software elated) I have simply put my A10 away in the garage until the major issues have been resolved. Meanwhile I have reverted to my faithful Garmin 60 CSx which has a superb performance that, in my view, more than makes up for the lack of detailed topo maps. I look forward to being able to revert back to my A10 when its performance approaches that of the 60 CSx; since both are SIRFIII driven this is not an unreasonable goal.

At a slight tangent, I hope that the upcoming Pocket GPS review will compare the A10 performance to that achieved on the 60CSx (which I regard as the class leader for walkers).
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:

True, I find it very annoying when a company operate via the internet yet can't be bothered to adequately handle email contacts. However, much as email is convenient, you can't beat a phone call nd we know they are still handling these effectively.

I do know that Satmap are a small outfit and at this particular time are beavering away trying to resolve the known issues. This may explain the poor response to email but I agree it doesn't excuse it.

I'm not unsympathetic to your plight, we all desperately want the products issue to be fixed and it is a considerable investment for a device that is apparently so buggy. Keep us in the loop and if you don't get a response by Monday let us know here and we can try giving them a gentle nudge.

Thanks for your support and understanding Darren.

Just to keep you in the loop, it's been a week and I still haven't received a reply from to my email that I sent them. I run a business myself and while I know it is not always easy to answer emails promptly, a week is sufficient time I think to respond. And given the problems I'm having with their product I'm quite surprised they haven't responded yet.
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...just like with the performance of the SatMap product there seems to be a difference in the response customers are getting to e:mails Confused ...I have e:mailed SatMap on about 4 occassions since January and in each case have received a helpful reply within 24 hours (...all about Satsync and SatMap performance/issues so they weren't encouraged to reply by thinking they would be able to sell me something)....
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've still not had a reply.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: