Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Rider 2 and Cardo Scala Rider Q2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Rider 2 and Cardo Scala Rider Q2
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: TomTom Rider 2 and Cardo Scala Rider Q2 Reply with quote

OK got TT Rider 2 *check*, got most recent software installed (6.581) *check*, unit came with Cardo Scala headset which works great *check*.

Trip to France with mate planned and want bike to bike capability and maybe some sounds. Hmmm new Scala Rider Q2 looks good AND will no doubt work with TT Rider as same make of headset supplied with TT etc. BOTH mate and I buy a Scala Rider Q2 (total cost £240).

ARGHHHHHHHHH doesn't work with Rider 2!!! Rider 2 says "Scala Rider Q2 features not supported" and refuses to pair Sad Sad Sad Sad

Currently awaiting answers to emails to Cardo support and Tom Tom support. Will let you know outcome Crying or Very sad
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a surprise. I was thinking about a Q2 and was going to put the original Scala Rider headset on my boy's (or girl's, depending on who's riding pillion) helmet. Glad I never got 'around tuit'!
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reply received from TT "support":

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

I am very sorry but the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 is not compatible with our Rider V2.

With Best Regards

Maybe time to sell the Rider and buy a Zumo (also just about to upgrade the TT700 - the replacement won't be a TT device). Still awaiting a reply from Cardo.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea how a connection could be made?

After a bit more digging I've found that the TTR2 is Bluetooth 1.1 where the Q2 is Bluetooth 2.0. However the Q2 communicates (you can use it as a passenger headset - listening only) with the basic Scala Rider (which comes with the TTR2) which is Bluetooth 1.2.

Anyway the only "fixes" I can think of using a Q2 with a TTR2 are:

Use the TTR2 without audio with on screen prompts etc. Could be dangerous and the main reason I use the TTR2 is the speed camera audio warnings - so I hit the brakes if i'm speeding near a camera (when I speed I try to look at the road - not the TT).

Have both the Q2 and the Rider headset attached to your helmet. Bulky, many earpieces and looks weird.

Switch the headsets (the TT one and the Q2) over as / when required. Switching can be done thanks to the sliding on/off feature of the headset.

Overall a bit cr@p, I really wish TT would get their act together just once and make the Rider 2 "future proof" as their site claims they do. Obviously this is not true as they use the oldest Bluetooth standard on the market. If anyone has any other ideas / solutions please let me know. Thanks.
celios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I was also considering the Q2 for use with TT Rider 2, but can save some money! The Q2 is supposed to be compaitble with ealier Scala headsets... so I am thinking I might just get my wife the Q2 and I will just use the headset supplied by TomTom.

I don't think they will be able to upgrade from Bluetooth 1.1 to 2.0 via new firmware, so maybe they will release Rider 3 sometime in 2008.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do that the wife will be able to talk to you, but you won't be able to answer back.............ah yes no change there then Wink

If TT's prior customer "support" is anything to go by they will prob be arrogant enough to bring out their own headset and dump Cardo. I won't be buying the Rider 3 (or anything else by TT) out of principle.

PS No response at all from Cardo "support" to date.
celios
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis wrote:
If you do that the wife will be able to talk to you, but you won't be able to answer back.............ah yes no change there then Wink

Are you sure, Cardo claim "full compatibility" with earlier Scala headsets. It it only works one way, they could be had under UK law.

http://www.cardowireless.co.uk/scala_rider_Q2/

"Fully Backward Compatible with scala-rider® headsets"

Thinking about it, maybe one way is all I need... Laughing

Zumos are also only BT 1.1/1.2. Personally I don't like the interface/presentation of the Zumos so will probably end up with a Rider 2.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

celios wrote:
Are you sure, Cardo claim "full compatibility" with earlier Scala headsets. It it only works one way, they could be had under UK law.

http://www.cardowireless.co.uk/scala_rider_Q2/

"Fully Backward Compatible with scala-rider® headsets"

Oooo I must have misread it, I shall try later and will let you know for sure.

Shhh I really do prefer the TT over the Zumo too but I am really miffed that the Q2 works with the Zumo but not with the TTR2. Evil or Very Mad
hotbiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

willis wrote:

I am very sorry but the Cardo Scala Rider Q2 is not compatible with our Rider V2.

With Best Regards

Maybe time to sell the Rider and buy a Zumo (also just about to upgrade the TT700 - the replacement won't be a TT device). Still awaiting a reply from Cardo.
Exclamation

Guys: I have just tested the scala-rider Q2 with my TomTom Rider II and they work perfectly together. Seems that the TTom techsupport isn't up to speed on this issue.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotbiker wrote:
willis wrote:

With Best Regards

Exclamation

Guys: I have just tested the scala-rider Q2 with my TomTom Rider II and they work perfectly together. Seems that the TTom techsupport isn't up to speed on this issue.

WTF!!! really? what is your version on the TTR2? Mine is 6.581 (most up to date)

When I try pairing the Q2 with the TTR2:
TTR2 says "searching for headsets one moment please" then
"scala rider Q2. Checking headset features, one moment please..." then
"headset not connected" flashes in top right of TTR2 screen, then
scala Q2 stops trying to pair (flashing red/blue lights go to slow flashing blue)
TTR2 says "scala-rider Q2 The required features could not be found for this headset."
then click continue (only option)
then TTR2 says "Do you want to maintain the connection with the 'scala rider Q2'" no / yes option
click yes and then test connection - no sound / instructions can be heard and TTR2 flashes "headset not connected" in top right of screen and ?headset icon appears in bottom left.
No pairing. Sad

I've tried this several times now and same result every time. Please tell me how you have paired your Q2 to your TTR2 as I'm at a loss here.
ariellifschitz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: SOLUTION: Connecting scala-rider Q2 and TomTom Rider 2nd Ed. Reply with quote

Hi all
There is a solution for the problem some people have been having connecting the TomTom Rider 2nd edition to the new scala-rider Q2.

The TomTom Rider 2nd edition should be the 1st device that is paired to a new scala-rider Q2. If you pair the scala-rider Q2 to other scala-rider headsets after pair the TomTom Rider to the scala-rider Q2, everything should work like a charm.

If you've already paired your scala-rider Q2 to another headset, no problem!

You can RESET PAIRINGS on the scala-rider Q2 in order to set it back to default factory conditions.

This will allow you to start fresh and get your TomTom Rider paired to your scala-rider Q2 first.

RESET INTERCOM PAIRING

You can delete all of the headset’s Intercom pairings at any time.
1. Place the scala-rider Q2 into Intercom Pairing mode following these
instructions.
--A. If the headset is turned OFF, turn it ON by pressing and holding
the CTRL Button until the Blue Light flashes three times.
--B. Make sure that the headset is now flashing slowly in Blue.
--C. Pick up the headset and simultaneously press and hold the CTRL
Button and MC Button for at least six seconds until the Red Light
begins flashing rapidly, indicating it is in Intercom Pairing mode.

2. Once the Red Light begins flashing rapidly, press and hold Volume up
for three seconds.
3. The Red and Blue Lights will flash five times, confirming that the Reset
Pairing was successful.
4. Now pair the TomTom Rider to the scala-rider Q2.
5. Next pair the scala-rider Q2 to any other scala-rider headsets you wish to use with it.

Enjoy!

Ariel Lifschitz
Cardo Systems Support Center
support@cardosystems.com
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ariellifschitz i love you. Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Tomtom support? pah! Cardo support, ariellifschitz and pocketgpsworld forums are the daddy! Absolute result - your fix worked a treat (took three attempts mind - and it's volume down button - not up). Thank you, thank you and thank you again, I very nearly bought a zumo and sold the Q2.

Buy a lottery ticket - your karma should be sky high Very Happy alternatively give me your boss' details and I will write a letter of great thanks.

Cardo has my custom for life.
KTM-640-Dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Q2 and Rider 2 Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
I have been having exactly the same problems and found this thread in a Google search.
Firstly, I am really glad that there is a fix, 'cos my son and I have both just bought this set-up.
Many thanks for the pairing instructions, but I still have a slight problem and I wondered if you have any ideas.
I tried Q2 number 1 with my GPS, after an hour I gave up. I tried the second Q2 and it paired OK, exactly as you described. However the first Q2 also won't pair with my son's GPS - duff unit maybe? any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a few trys, doing a factory reset on the Q2 every time. I had to try it three times before it paired. Also make sure there are no other bluetooth devises nearby to confuse pairing.
KTM-640-Dude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willis,
Thanks for the advice. After many hours got the second Q2 to pair with the second Rider! All I can put it down to is the fact that it was connected to my son's phone at the time, every other time he was in work, maybe this is required to pair?

Still got problems though ..... Crying or Very sad

When I try to pair the two Q2's together I don't get the 2 second red LED to indicate that they are paired. I have tried many times, and tried re-setting the pairing first etc. However I can get them to work as an intercom by pressing MC a couple of times. The only problem then is that I lose the connections between the Q2 and the phone/Rider!

Have you tried the Q2 in anger yet, paired with another one?

Just wondered in anyone had followed the pairing advice and were using them with a smile on their face yet?

We'll get there in the end eh Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: