Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Missing POIs on 510
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Missing POIs on 510

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hansvonluck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Missing POIs on 510 Reply with quote

I got a 510 last spring. It worked 100% until sometime in the Autumn when I noticed the POIs were not working.

If I try to find one in any city or near me I get "POI's not found!"

Oddly on the POI menu next to search is a red square with 'Tgygjhd2222' underneath it.

I've tried a normal backup.

I've contacted TT who have been very helpful suggesting several things including formatting the SD card and copying the folders across from my backup files.

Nothing has worked. They've now asked me to send it back for repair, but before I do has anyone heard of this before and does anyone have any clever solutions?

Thanks.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been using POIEdit to install POI files per chance? - If so have a read of This Thread which might offer an answer to your problem - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you have lost the built-in POIs (the categories that were there on your unit when you bought it; connect up the TT to your PC and check with Windows Explorer there is a file called poi.dat in your map folder (called UK_and_IE or GB_map or similar).
If it is missing, you can copy it across from one of the earliest backups you have.
hansvonluck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

Re the 2nd reply:

The file POI.dat is still there on the device and is about 4MB in size, so presumably all my POIs are there it's just not finding them.

I've tried copying the backup POI.dat file across from my backup on its own and as a complete backup with no luck.

Re the 1st:

I may have tried to add a POI but haven't added any via the pc if that helps..

I tried to access the POI.dat file but it said it couldn't access it or it didn't have the program to do so.

...?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, getting tricky...

To get the LAST point out the way... remember the files you are dealing with are specific to the TomTom (which is Linux based), so it isn't surprising that Windows often doesn't know what to do with a file (or gets it completely wrong - for example Windows thinks the .chk voice files are "recovered file fragments" i.e. junk left over after a disastrous crash!)

There IS a program that can view the details of the poi.dat file which I have on my PC, but unfortunately Ray Flanagan who wrote it (and also created the Liz, Vicki and Andy voices) has let his website die and I haven't seen the program hosted elsewhere. Also it doesn't seem to work so well with the poi.dat files from v7 maps.

Moving on.... at a guess, the 'Tgygjhd2222' is a corrupted user-poi file which COULD be messing everything else up (the red square beside it is just an indication that the system can't find an icon for it).
Can you connect up to the PC again, and with Windows Explorer, search the map folder and remove ALL the files that end with ".ov2".

Disconnect safely ("safely remove hardware" icon near the PC clock), do another "pin in the hole" reset for good measure, and then see if the built-in POIs have returned.
hansvonluck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

OK..

I deleted everything ending in .ov2

When I switched it on there were still no POIs and the POI menu screen had no icons available; they were there but all grey.

As I said TT have asked me to send it in so I've got that to fall back on.

I'm beginning to become slightly obsessed about finding out the cause of the problem!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... clutching at straws... Try the "ClearFlash" tool from the TT website HERE

It doesn't say it fixes this problem, but every few days I seem to hear of ANOTHER different fault that gets magically cured by this utility.
Once you've run it, do a reset, and see if (with the poi.dat from the earliest backup you have copied back into the map folder) the built-in POIs work. Then put ONE user POI (.ov2 and .bmp files) back into the map folder and see if that works.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: