Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M42 Southbound - Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M42 Southbound - Cameras
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
highsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: M42 Southbound - Cameras Reply with quote

For those who think the variable speed cameras are not operative on the M42...I ve got news for you THEY ARE very active...As you approach the section of the M42 where the M6 joins southbound towards the NEC and the Airport the Cameras are now flashing - they appear to have installed new ones on the Gantry's - If the variable speed control displays 50mph.....stick to the speed - the flashing cameras are going off like mad !!!!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific on the locations?
If you go to the map on the submissions page, and zoom in you will see the cameras believed to be live and those thought to be dummies.
Click on each one and you'll get the camera's reference number at the bottom left corner of the map.

For example, I see "active" GATSO:3467 and 13150 and "Dummy":3450 and 3451 between junction 6 and 7 of the M42 to the south of the M6 junction. Are we talking about these or any others shown already, or are they not yet marked?
If not, submit them quick, for free membership!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we need someone with a radar detector again to check these...

MaFt
highsky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...had a look on your map...but I am unclear with the symbols already marked...I use the road very often....all I am able to tell you is that I have noticed two new cameras which are located on the gantry's........unlike the variable speed cameras these are 'proper' cameras with lenses and are painted grey.......I will try and get the gantry numbers and forward details - I was travelling in the opposited direction and saw them flashing motorists exceeding the variable marked speed....sorry cannot give you the info you require
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click on the icon on the map it gives it's name/description at the bottom. An additional one to the downloaded POIs (a baby's dummy) is shown on the M42 and others where there is a camera housing but it is known to be empty (stops having too many alerts in the area).

Along this stretch the important ones are the red circle with the star inside (variable speed camera) and the dummy.

If one of the ones marked as a dummy flashed then please let the guys here know. It is known that the marked ones are working during marked lower speed limits but I, personally, expect that they can work all the time and the fact that they don't is urban legend.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I, personally, expect that they can work all the time and the fact that they don't is urban legend.

Nothing definitive (so far!) but there are some interesting opinions in this PistonHeads forum topic:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=488073&i=20
Quote:
My understanding was that the variable limit cameras are only type approved to work when a variable limit is showing. I think someone who heleped develop the software for them posted on here years ago

Quote:
As noted, they're not on every gantry (yet) and being analogue as well are most likely not all loaded with film. I was lead to believe that they only triggered at 90+ but also heard that they're off completely when the limit is NSL.

That same topic actually started with THIS post:
Quote:
Subject: Variable Speed Cameras M25 Jct 10 -15
To Operational Officers,
I have received information from RPU Traffic Management that the company who look after the Variable Speed cameras between Jct 10 - 15 on the M25 on behalf of the Metropolitan police are ACTIVATING the cameras from 15/02/08. The current cameras are analogue and the speed for enforcement is set at 93mph. However the system is changing to Digital and the Commissioner as directed the company to set the cameras at ACPO guidelines, this will be 80mph.

...but general opinion seemed to be that *THAT* was an urban myth!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
I, personally, expect that they can work all the time and the fact that they don't is urban legend.

And a quote that agrees with you:

Quote:
I'm not sure that the speed cameras stop working just because the VSLs are
off and NSL70 applies.

They still work when NSL applies, believe me (no, it wasn't me, but I've
seen them go off)

True, but thankfully they are set fairly generously when NSL applies,
i.e. 90+
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another that says the y MIGHT (or might not!)
Quote:
I think I can answer that one because............ ...........I was a member of the team that designed and built them in 1994, and I wrote the software for it. Before the abuse starts, I'd like to point out that the system was designed to prevent gridlock by slowing down traffic coming into a traffic jam to below the speed of the traffic coming out of the jam, so the jam unblocks itself. Unfortunately the technology to do this also allows the police to use it as a speed trap, which was not the intention of the team, some of whom (myself included) are real car enthusiasts. Anyway, in answer to your question, the default behaviour of the system is not to enforce (ie. take pictures of you) when the matrix boards are not displaying a speed. However, the operator can override this and the system is quite capable of enforcing when "NS" (National Speed Limit) is in effect. So your information is probably correct - at the moment they have it set not to enforce at NS. Doesn't mean this will always be the case though, as they can simply turn it on when funds get too low (allegedly). Oh, and before anybody asks, the system does not recognise numberplates, so, no, there is no backdoor that lets me off if I drive under one. Regards Jon

Think I better go and do some work now... (Oh it's nearly lunchtime! Laughing )
Andy_Summ
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At MaFt's request I have driven the entire length of the A.T.M.'ed section of the M42 this afternoon.

I am confident that that database is still spot on with the camera locations.
In both directions, the cameras go Lane 3, Lane 2, Lane 1 and back to Lane 3.

This was still the case this afternoon and the radar signal levels also tie in with the database.

Highsky, if you have any additional information for us, please submit it and I'll check it out.

Andy
passionate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving southbound on the M42 between Jnc's 7 and 3a for the last 2 weeks early in the morning. The overhead gantries have been displaying 60, then 40, between 7 and 6, but, nothing at all on the road, or "traffic quieing" like the gantry says. Then, between 5 and 3a, the speed limits have been 10 mph in lane 1, 20 mph in lane 2 and 40 mph in lane 3. Now, at 4 am in the morning, when it just seems like me on the road, the camera's haven't flashed, at 50 mph, and cant understand the reasoning for these ridiculous restrictions? If i get anything through the post i'll post it on here. Anybody got any ideas on this?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passionate wrote:
Anybody got any ideas on this?

The camera monkey has discovered how to get out of its cage in the dead of night and is out there having fun?? Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passionate wrote:
Then, between 5 and 3a, the speed limits have been 10 mph in lane 1, 20 mph in lane 2 and 40 mph in lane 3. Now, at 4 am in the morning, ...

That sounds like they were testing the displays. I wouldn't think you could have different speed limits in different lanes. The matrix should say this though.
Brodit ProClip mount
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't think you could have different speed limits in different lanes.

Yes you can. Thats the point of the system having individual signs for each lane and camera for each lane. For example if lane 1 was closed 2 miles ahead they would slow down the traffic (to say 40 mph) in Lane 1 and 2 then merge them whilst keeping Lane 3 and 4 flowing faster (say 50 or 60 mph).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
they would slow down the traffic (to say 40 mph) in Lane 1 and 2 then merge them whilst keeping Lane 3 and 4 flowing faster (say 50 or 60 mph).

Right. So everybody in lanes 1 and 2 would slow down to 40 and let the people in lanes 3 and 4 go by at 60. Laughing Laughing Laughing It was the monkey!! (or the magic spiders inside the signs were taking the P).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was almost caught out by this phenomenon at about 3am back in December.

Lanes 1, 2 & 3 were all down to 40 for overnight roadworks

Lane 1 went down to 30 but 2 & 3 stayed at 40 where a slip road joined the motorway

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: