Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map Share and downloaded Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map Share and downloaded Maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Map Share and downloaded Maps Reply with quote

I've just discovered something about Mapshare updates.

I recently added a W+C Europe map to an SD card, but still have the W Europe map on the internal memory of my Go720.
I have swapped maps so I'm using the W+C Europe map and if I connect to Home and choose "internal memory" it DOES use use the W+C map from the SD card for it's on-screen emulation.

However, if I try to "update my device" I only get Map Share updates for the old map in the internal memory.

You have to change the "Device install location" to the SD card to get Map Share updates for that map!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. You have to select the memory where your 'active' map is to get MapShare updates for it.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As POIs are area Specific I would assume that HOME checks for the Map(s) at the Current Location, so as to load appropriate Maps.

The W&C Europe Map would have a bigger POI database that the W Europe Map. The effect would be the same as putting the France Map POIs on a UK Map ..... a waste of time effort. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next observation.....

I have spent a lot of time doing map corrections on the WE map (doing TomTom/Tele Atlas's job for them, you might say...)

Why am I NOT suprised that Mapshare isn't clever enough to realise those corrections would also be relevant for the W+C Europe map? Evil or Very Mad

All that work wasted, and the worst thing is, as there is a much smaller user base for the W+CE map, there are a lot less Map Share corrections coming through.
When I downloaded a WE map for a friend a week or two ago, there were something like 0.4MB of corrections stacked up to download.
With the more expensive W+CE map the accumulated download is "tiny".
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. When I asked in Cannes at the launch of the x20/Mapshare then I was told that all corrections, no matter what map they were submitted on, would be filtered down to all pertinent maps, and that neither map nor version number would obstruct this.

I took it to mean that a coorection on, say, a 675.1409 UK & ROI map would also be available to a 710.1576 map. If what you are saying is right, I was misled.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they ment that it would filter down to the NEXT map (the one we pay for...)
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be because the different maps (even on the same version number) have different compression. Question I'm just thinking that if I change the properties of a road on my 1GB WE map, I could be changing it for several sections of the "bendy" road on one of the bigger ones due to the compression/straightening of the road.

Of course, the TomTom back-end systems should be able to cope by saying that my change affects many road sections on more detailed maps and changes made to a smaller section on the detailed map could be sent to me to change the longer section on mine.

Surely the maps (at least in the same version number) come from the same main source? Maybe it will work better on the next release.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: