Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 760 - Late reporting of position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 760 - Late reporting of position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueLightChauffeur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 760 - Late reporting of position Reply with quote

I have just upgraded to the new Nuvi 760 after using a Streetpilot i3 for the last 2 years which I thought was excellent.

I use my sat-nav nearly every day as a blue light driver for the National Blood Service very often driving to Hospitals/Towns I have never been to before on blue lights & sirens so the importance of accurate information etc is vital.

However at present I find the 760 constantly showing my position about 200-300 yards behind my actual position. I think it is a software matter as for example if I take a different route the 760 reports recalculating before my position on the map shows me that I have past the junction where I should have turned.

I have emailed Garmin about this several days ago but have not had any reply.

I would be interested if any other 760 users are experiencing the delay, which I find rather irritating after using the spot on i3

I have obviously upgraded to the latest software etc.
allengn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't have the same model (I have a nuvi 250), I have the same issue, but not quite as bad. On approaching a junction, it tells me, when only second or third in a queue, that i have 60+ feet remaining. Whilst not using the device anywhere near as frequetly as you, this has caught me out on a couple of occasions, particularly in City centres where junctions can follow one another pretty quickly.

I would guess there is some sort of configuration setting, with the unit also performing an element of 'predictive' positioning which I can understand (without it how would it know where you were in a tinnel?), but when stationary for any period of time, you would expect it to 'catch up'.

Hopefully some of the other more experienced users on hear can also help.
BlueLightChauffeur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted here first in the "Advanced GPS Lounge" and after a while when I found I was getting no responses I re-posted this in the "Beginners GPS lounge" where there have been more responses.

In answer to your 60 feet at a junction when no 2-3 in a queue I would consider correct, 2 cars would be 30 feet and another 30 feet to the centre of the junction would make 60 feet.

The problem I have been experiencing has been a constant 200-300 YARDS minimum showing behind on the map. Reading the forum in the beginners GPS Lounge you will see that I have solved the problem by re-setting the unit.

Hope this helps

Graham
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the centre of the car icon is your 'actual' position according to the GPS data. Can get confusing at certain zoom levels.
pwprince
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I had a similar problem with my Nuvi 710, in 3D mode it seemed to lag a bit. I switched off the 3D mode and the unit is now spot on when I pass junctions and streets etc.
Are you on 3D mode? If so try switching it off and use the flat mapping.

Paul
BlueLightChauffeur
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now come to the conclusion that the Picture viewer is the culprit that once used slows the unit's map drawing down until the unit is completley reset.

I have used all the other features on the Nuvi 760 now and used the unit every day with the map 3D drawing spot on.

I use 3D mode and would not now wish to use anything else. Switching to 2D mode is not a satifactory answer in my view.

Yesterday I found that Garmin had released version 2.60 software and I have installed that. I will when opportunity arises try out the unit after using the Picture Viewer and see if the problem returns.

I have also spoke to Garmin last week, they were not aware of the problem and said they would look into it. I now have a name and email address to report any findings and get feed back.

Graham
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2D/"3D" display is a personal pref thing I guess. The issue with 3D is the distortion of distance scale. It isn't 3D - it's 2D with perspective so that ,to paraphrase USA wing mirrors notices, "roads in the distance may be closer than they appear". The other argument is: why take up valuable screen space with a display of the sky? There's precious little display space as it is.
buckrogers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 760 - Late reporting of position Reply with quote

[quote="BlueLightChauffeur"]I have just upgraded to the new Nuvi 760 after using a Streetpilot i3 for the last 2 years which I thought was excellent.

I use my sat-nav nearly every day as a blue light driver for the National Blood Service very often driving to Hospitals/Towns I have never been to before on blue lights & sirens so the importance of accurate information etc is vital.

However at present I find the 760 constantly showing my position about 200-300 yards behind my actual position. I think it is a software matter as for example if I take a different route the 760 reports recalculating before my position on the map shows me that I have past the junction where I should have turned.

I have emailed Garmin about this several days ago but have not had any reply.

On the 770, the speech processing seems to interrupt screen activity/update causing an apparent "lag" in position. It is very noticeable at islands and complex road junctions where there is a lot of speech, once the audio messages finish the screen updates normally, but it is confusing.

The speech processing overhead appears to be significant, overriding positional screen updates, which may be the case for other models to.

This is just a theory at the moment, but it would seem logical that there is a processing penalty for lexically reading out the road names. May be switching to plain speech direction mode may improve matters?

Any confirmation on this would be very helpful in understanding the problem.
CliffEdge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: How many POIs are allowed in a 770T? Reply with quote

I've just sold my 660 to upgrade to a 770T. Have garmin fixed the max 257 dowload files problem in this unit?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: