Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Google Earth Plus on PalmOS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Google Earth Plus on PalmOS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Google Earth Plus on PalmOS Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting Google Earth Plus for navigation (either as a backup or replacement for TomTom). Couple questions for those who have used this:

Are all the maps that are needed for a trip downloaded all at once? I wouldn't want my navigation system to fail simply because I drive through a hole in my mobile broadband coverage area.

The specs claim "Verified support for Magellan and Garmin devices only". Are there any unofficially supported devices, like a BT GPS/PalmOS combination?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You appear to be confused as to what Google Earth is. Firstly it is a desktop application for a PC or Mac, it cannot be used on a PDA of any sort.

The support for Garmin etc that they mention is the ability to 'import' tracks from a GPS into Google Earth to be displayed on the map.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You appear to be confused as to what Google Earth is. Firstly it is a desktop application for a PC or Mac, it cannot be used on a PDA of any sort.

Google makes a version for PalmOS, downloadable as a .prc file. I'm running it now, but the free version does not see my BT GPS. (I'm guessing at this point that the premium version won't see it either).

I've seen google earth referred to as "the poor mans nav system", because some versions of it ($20 USD/yr) will acquire a GPS location, and plot a route. It just doesn't give turn by turn micro instructions. I believe you have to watch a blue dot (your position) on a 2d map with the route highlighted.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a link? I cannot find Google Earth for Palm, do you perhaps mean Google Maps?
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Do you have a link? I cannot find Google Earth for Palm, do you perhaps mean Google Maps?

Yeah, they're calling the PalmOS version "Google Mobile Maps":

http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html?hl=en

Google Earth Plus officially runs on Magellan and Garmin devices, which are also portable devices. GMM and GEP seem to be aliases for the same thing (judging by the functionality), although it's unclear what the underlying differences are. Perhaps that GPS position indicator is the only difference - but that's available only on GEP, not GE. Garmin (or Que?) produces a GPS device that runs Garmin software on PalmOS, so if it's GEP that I need, then the first question would be if it runs on that. If so, perhaps it could be made to run on non-Garmin Palms.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
Yeah, they're calling the PalmOS version "Google Mobile Maps":

http://www.google.com/gmm/index.html?hl=en

That answers some of the confusion.
Quote:
Google Earth Plus officially runs on Magellan and Garmin devices, which are also portable devices. GMM and GEP seem to be aliases for the same thing (judging by the functionality),

I beg to differ, they are entirely different apps and Google Earth does not run on Garmin or Magellan, it 'supports' them as devices for providing GPS Posiution data to the PC/Mac based application. It does not run on those devices.

Google Maps Plus or Google Mobile Maps will show your position using GPS data but that's all it does. It's not a fully fledged navigation application and as it grabs maps from Google it requires a data connection.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren.. you've cleared up some of my confusion. So google earth is out of the question.
Darren wrote:

Google Maps Plus or Google Mobile Maps will show your position using GPS data but that's all it does. It's not a fully fledged navigation application and as it grabs maps from Google it requires a data connection.

Ooo.. I didn't know there was a GMM plus. That's what I want. Is there a PalmOS version for that? There are some areas where TomTom maps are screwed up and TomTom tries to take me off-roading. I like the idea of having an alternative path and more current business listings. The lack of audible instructions would be tolerable for the few times I would have to use it.

As for the data connection, that's not a problem, because I'll have a mobile connection that follows me.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't, I was referring to Google Maps PLUS, i.e. the PLUS version of the desktop app. It is the added GPS functionality that gives it its PLUS moniker.

With regard to Google Mobile Maps, I have that on my Blackberry 8800. The Beta I am running has a "My Location' feature which will display your location using either Cell Network Triangulation or using the built-in GPS receiver if available (the 8800 is GPS enabled). However these features are currently limited to Blackberry and a few other devices such as Apple iPhone. The version available for download for other devices lacks the 'My Location' or GPS features.

It's a novel utility, useful for looking up street maps etc but is data hungry and requires a live data connection as it will only cache the last viewed map tile. It is not a replacement for a true navigation solution.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: