Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trail Data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail Data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakelandRambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Trail Data Reply with quote

I received the new v1.16 software and whilst it seems to have resolved all my previous problems I do seem to have gained a couple more! First whilst scrolling through the options yesterday the screen froze for the first time. I'd just installed the new LiPol Battery! None of the buttons would work, including the power off button and it wasn't quite as easy to remove the LiPol to shut it down as the ordinary batteries, but I did and it worked. I then attached the A10 to my bike and went out and did about 15 miles without problem. The trail was there and I converted it to a track. So far, so good!

Today I went out walking, reset the trip log and the data in the routes menu before I started, made sure I had a gps lock and then set off. I know it was working because I checked after every mile or so and could see where I was. At the end of the walk I tried to convert the trail to a track and there was nothing there! The trip log indicated the correct time taken and kilometers walked but there was no trail and no profile! Does anyone know if I've done something wrong before I contact Satmap again?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you change or select any different routes while you were out? depending upon the settings within Settings/ Routes Control (Which is new to you) this might have automatically wiped out the stored data - and if this is the case you wern't the first and probably won't be last to find out the hard way - Mike
LakelandRambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Did you change or select any different routes while you were out? depending upon the settings within Settings/ Routes Control (Which is new to you) this might have automatically wiped out the stored data - and if this is the case you wern't the first and probably won't be last to find out the hard way - Mike

Hi Mike

Routes Control shows Inactive Routes, Auto Clear is off and Auto Reset Log is set to keep log on new route. I didn't select any route on my trip, just thought it would record my trail which I could then convert to a route as I have done in the past
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have saved your trail set up that way, do you know how much space there is free on the map card? - Mike
LakelandRambler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It should have saved your trail set up that way, do you know how much space there is free on the map card? - Mike

According to Satsync 47% of the map card is used, but I thought it would save the trail on the internal memory. How do you find out how much space there is on the internal memory?
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakelandRambler wrote:
mikealder wrote:

According to Satsync 47% of the map card is used, but I thought it would save the trail on the internal memory. How do you find out how much space there is on the internal memory?

I believe I had the same problem last week with v1.16. At the time I put it down to operator error.

I reset the system before starting out. Following my ride there was no trail to convert - the trip log did show data relevant to my trip.

All was not lost - on connecting to Satsync a file trip.gpx had been created on the Satmap - I was able to copy this to my PC and could view this on Tracklogs (without any conversion). It had recorded my route (even though it had about 2000 trackpoints in it!). I have contacted Satmap to ask about this .gpx file - my guess is that the system created a .gpx file with the data that populates the trip log. It also seems that there maybe some issue with logging/creating tracks - I will try again later this week.

The previous time I used the unit (with v1.16) all worked fine and a track was created along with the .map file.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the A10 with new v1.16 over the weekend two days cycling. I had the same experience as LakelandRambler - the unit twice locked up, all buttons freezing, except that in my case the on/off button worked and switching off and on again cleared the problem.

Also, at the end of Saturday's ride, I went to "Convert the Trail to Track" and it generated no "My Track 1" and the trail disappeared. At the end of Sunday's ride, I tried again and this time it worked OK, generating a "My Track 1" file as normal.

Unlike rog62, when I got the unit home and linked to PC via SatSYNC there was no file recording Saturday's ride. However, for Sunday's ride there were three files, viz. "My Track 1.map" (70.4KB), "My Track 1.gpx" (1.54MB) and "track.gpx" (1.54MB). I "Exported" the .map file (as a .gpx file, the only option) and Copied the other two files, all to my PC. They all relate to Sunday's ride and show an identical route when imported into Memory Map.

I recall a conversation with Richard Calthrop-Owen a while back, when waiting for v1.15 (later 1.16) to arrive. He told me that they had listened to comments made earlier by myself and others regarding the "coarsemess" of the Satmap trail files and the ability to edit them post download to a PC. He told me that in future, when a trail is converted, a second file would be created containing all the raw data in order to facilitate the editing of saved tracks. I'm not sure whether what I've got is this facility or not. Certainly if I open "track.gpx" in Mapsource it proves to comprise 12,667 trackpoints! This for a 49 mile route which is recorded by my Garmin with 1,367 trackpoints!
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Trail Data Reply with quote

I may have had this problem to-day with version 1.03 (1.16 arrived in the post just as I was setting out).

I had cleared the trail and reset the log before starting out and then, when I arrived home, I found that the log showed the correct trip time but had no profile or height data in it. Also, there was no trail recorded on the map and trying to convert to a route did not produce anything either.

I presume that I had inadvertently selected "trail off" before setting out and I guess that this option disables saving the trail details as one moves around (could this be another possible power saving measure). A quick scan of the full user guide has not revealed anything about this - I need to read it more thoroughly!
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also just found the mysterious GPX file on the A10. I have also found that unlike the exported ones that it will import directly into Tracklogs (no need to go through GPSBabel).

This seems most puzzling. The apparently undocumented file is a better and more useful one!

Or have I missed something.

Oh one point - the route direction appears reversed if I read the A10 GPX file directly into Tracklogs. But that does not seem to be a big deal.
Satsync 1.525
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another variation on the theme:

I went for a walk today and performed a "reset all" before I started out.

At the end of the walk, I went into the Routes Menu and converted Trail to Track. I then Stopped the Trip Log.

When I got home, I connected the A10 up to SatSync and it listed 3 files on the A10 - Trail1.map , Trail1.gpx and Trail.gpx.

Using SatSync, I copied the two gpx files to my PC desktop and converted the .map file to a .gpx then saved it as Trail1a.gpx, also to my desktop.

I then tried to open all three files in Memory Map 2004: the gpx file converted from the .map file opened fine, but the two files that existed as gpx files on the A10 contained nothing - no points, no tracks, no data of any kind (despite the fact that they were 74.6 kb in size).

None of the files (either converted or original gpx) would open at all in Garmin Mapsource.

I think there are still some bugs to iron-out, SatMap...
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I have also just found the mysterious GPX file .... This seems most puzzling. The apparently undocumented file is a better and more useful one!
As mentioned in my previous post, I THINK that is the intention!
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to these posts I have found that if the satellite lock is lost for any period of time (eg indoors over lunch) then you get the mutliple trail.gpx and then trail1.gpx files created.

I agree with the other posts that these "bonus" .gpx files are more useful - as a Tracklogs user they can be loaded directly (without conversion) and its a failry simple process on tracklogs to filter down the points only losing minimal detail on the route.

One to add to the "wish list" for future SatMap updates would be to have these additional files visible directlu on the SapMap unit. I will add this to the "sticky" once I have confirmation from Satmap as to their origin!
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rog62 wrote:
I agree with the other posts that these "bonus" .gpx files are more useful ..... One to add to the "wish list" for future SatMap updates would be to have these additional files visible directly on the SapMap unit.
I'm not sure what use that would be, unless if you subsequently "activated" the larger, .gpx version you got a more accurate route on screen? Otherwise, you're just cluttering up the Routes Menu list - ?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As reported above I was surprised to find the internal (A10) GPX file apparently more useful than the exported GPX file but have since noticed that something odd happens where I lost Satellite lock in a subway. If I use the internal GPX file to import straight into Tracklogs it shows the complete walk. But moving the cursor along the route (which is oddly reversed) I cannot get beyond the point at which sat lock was lost. If however I import the GPX file as a tracklog file it shows the whole walk and allows the cursor to pass this point. The map file converted to GPX and then to trl is however a different length from the GPX file whether converted into trl or not (both of which have different lengths again!). Maybe it has something to do with the number of points logged and therefore the measuring of a more detailed meandering. (And no I didn't call in at any pub - well not on that day!).

Not sure what to make of this but thought I would point out the issues in case anyone at SatMap is watching.

Oh and no - the loss of Sat Lock did not appear to create a second file.
Satsync 1.525

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: