Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Traffic - is it worth it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Traffic - is it worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely!

It seems as if ITIS get much of the static stuff correct e.g. closed roads, long term roadworks etc - though there are some who would even dispute that.

However when it comes to congestion they seem totally hopeless reporting hold ups where there are none. I also believe they refuse to suggest the length of hold up from a time perspective owing to the dynamic nature of congestion. However this doesnt seem to trouble Trafficmaster who report length of hold up and expected delay through my separate Freeway unit on a fairly reliable basis.

You don't suppose ITIS could be staffed with failed weather forecasters do you Laughing that would explain a lot!
inthe128
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Traffic enabled on my TomTom 720, as I have a web and walk account from T-Mobile at least that part of it is fine and I have no extra cost regards the data part of the deal.

Its okay..... its hit and miss really, it has helped on a few occasions avoid problems on the road that would have resulted in my journey not going to plan, so its worth it for the most part. I do think you have to take the info with a pinch of salt and with that in mind is it really worth the cost in the first place, I did renew this year, but it was a close thing when deciding wether to bother again, very close.

If the information is really important to you and need to be er..... precise then I think you need to look elsewhere.
Pritch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been using the subscription service sfor about a year now (since TT gave me a free subscription after complaining enough about the RDS receiver - and my employer paying for the GPRS on my mobile).
Living in Germany now, I can confirm that the service works well for me, correctly advising of accidents resulting in road closures and long delays.

An example: The system reported a delay of 70-odd minutes and having checked the text description that the delay was about lane closures following an accident, I took the detour - when I rejoined the motorway, there was not a single car on the road, so obviously the report was correct.

However, just like the routings generally, you have to take some of the information with a pinch of salt - a lane closure alone rarely results in a delay as long as suggested. Generally, if a delay is less than 15 minutes, I wouldn't bother even thinking about avoiding it.

In summary, if the system helps me avoid 2 or 3 hour long traffic jams a year, it has easily paid for itself through the time saved Very Happy
jparton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the information is hit and miss why bother? I can't see what benefit you get over listening to traffic bulletins on the radio and the motorway info boards...if it was consistently reliable I would love it, but whats more frustrating going around the houses to avoid a non existent problem?

By the way a little known service for O2 customers - dial 1200 and you get location sensitive traffic information via your phone (phone call, not a data service)
si1964
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom tom should refund the subscription for traffic on account it is "not fit for purpose" the descripition is traffic updates in real time, and get to know where the jams/incidents are before you even hear it broadcast on the local radio station, total and utter bo...ks.

example: update traffic 7.00am, no incidents enroute (route is 80miles of motorway) commit myself to the slip road, 10 miles standing traffic, accident 7 miles ahead, occured 1 hour earlier

example update traffic, congestion enroute, 40mins added to jouney time, select avoid, drive for miles to avoid "delay", hear on local radio "congested" route flowing problem free
give me my money back!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: