Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TOMTOM - Additional/Extended POI data fields?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TOMTOM - Additional/Extended POI data fields?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchargon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: TOMTOM - Additional/Extended POI data fields? Reply with quote

I am trying to find a solution that will allow me to include one or more additional fields in a POI file (for TOMTOM or any other low end GPS) beyond the lat,lon,name,description.

With the extra fields, I need to develop (or have someone develop) a custom application that will allow the fields to be displayed, upon user request. Ideally, I'd like to have the field contain an html derivative and have the contents displayed in a mini-browser type window.

Is any of this possible without getting into PocketPC or Palm type devices? I need this to run on a low end unit like a TomTom One.

All creative input welcome!

Mitch
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without someone developing an app on the target device this probably won't work as there will nothing to interpret the additional information.
I don't know if anyone has designed 'add-in' apps for the TomTom ONE et al range of units - I would suspect it's non-trivial. There's an SDK for TomTom Navigator (PDA based) - but I haven't checked if there is one for the all-in-one units. I there is I suspect it is very tightly controlled!

The obvious choice for for the add-ins would be to use GPX - which is an html like 'language'.

What are you trying to do?
mitchargon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This application would serve a consumer or real estate agent. I want to download home listing data (for each 'home for sale' in the poi database).

This information would include information such as: price, bedrooms, bathrooms, days on market, lot size, ...

Currently, I can get my MLS data downloaded to the TT which I make available to clients to explore neighborhoods, etc. on their own. When the consumer (user) gets to the house, I'd like them to be able to display this additional information by tapping an icon or button "more info...".

If I could fit this all into one field (I can get into an html format) and had a tool that could render the html for the poi 'on tap', I would be close.

This seems like it oculd be a logical extension to a wide variety of POIs - menu items, additional descriptions, anything.

Does this make sense?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect sense.

I don't know if the TomTom series have a similar function but GARMIN(nuvis at least) have a tour guide function that would fit your needs pretty well - it would auto-trigger on arriving at a specific location also.

Have a look at Phil Hornby's web site http://geepeeex.googlepages.com/ to see what can be achieved on GARMIN units.
mitchargon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Garmin GPX files Reply with quote

Phil,
Thanks for the last post. I did some poking around and it, indeed, looks like the Garmin TourGuide GPX format will allow for extended data.

I have not had any luck finding any documentation (or a sample file) of a basic tourguide file that can be opened (so I can examine the field layout, etc.).

Any suggestions? (I tried downloading one from this site but that would not open into excel of notepad).

Thanks. Mitch
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a sample source file on Phil's page - which may help you - but I would consider buying the s/won Phil's site - it's less than £10 and I would expect it to work OK - even with all the disclamers on his page!

There are other sites listed on his pages -some of those may point you at more detailed info.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: