Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do you have children? Do you like to eat out?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have children? Do you like to eat out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Do you have children? Do you like to eat out? Reply with quote

The Weaherspoons chain has introduced a policy limiting adults with children to two alcoholic drinks and refusing to serve soft drinks to limit their stay - full article here

So what if the driver wants a soft drink rather than an alcoholic drink?

...and pubs claim to make most of their money from food, yet they can turn away groups who are more likely to be eating than drinking Confused

A badly thought-out scheme, I think
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised, as the big pub owners prefer to move "bums" from seats that aren't very active and you are not liable to be drinking with children around.

Quote:
Mr Gandy said they were told by the bar's manager that the aim of the restriction was to comply with "child cruelty legislation".

Where does "child cruelty legislation" fit into this?

Quote:
But he was having none of it and the choice was we could stay but the child would have to go..........

The manager was worried about cruelty, but suggesting that they remove the children, but allowing the adults to stay - doesn't make sense.

Personally having raised my "children" to within and past teenage years, i prefer younger children, who normally are very noisy, to stay away from pubs, as a parent the language around makes pubs an unsuitable area for children unless it is a proper family advertised place.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Quote:
Mr Gandy said they were told by the bar's manager that the aim of the restriction was to comply with "child cruelty legislation".

I think he means "adults-without-children cruelty legislation"!

So many parents don't teach their children how to behave when eating out, and the last thing I want in a restaurant is to be near noisy, badly behaved children.

But then I know I'm a grumpy old woman! Evil or Very Mad
Samsung Galaxy S21
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:

having to walk through all the smoke to get inside the pub?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand why they chose to take this step but I have reservations about it. I've sat in Wetherspoons and had lunch on a few occasions and whilst its far from the most salubrious of venues it does offer reasonably priced food and in my home town it is the only high street pub that allows children at all.

I would refuse on principal to eat anywhere that thought they knew better than I how to moderate my alcohol consumption and so they will lose my business.

Instead I shall continue as we normally do and enjoy a light lunch at a small gastro pub out of town. One that welcomes families with well behaved children, serves adult meals in child portions and that allows my wife and I to enjoy a glass of wine whilst we eat.

Any pub or gastro pub that fails to cater for families is foolish in the extreme. Pubs make money from food, far more than they do from alcohol and if they think excluding a major target market is good business then they're idiots.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they intend to police which adults at the bar do or do not have children when they buy drinks?

Or even if somebody is buying the first or second round?

Most people behind a bar these days don't even seem to notice who's next in line, so how they're supposed to remember who might have already bought drinks is beyond me.

Why should an adult be forced to drink alcohol whilst out with children if a pub decides not to serve that adult soft drinks or coffee?

If I am out, it should be up to me where I eat and how much I drink - alcoholic or otherwise - and if kids are a problem, why not ban them altogether?

Oh, but they're obviously not a problem for a pre-defined length of time during which the adults are spending the most money.

Besides which, Wetherspoons' pubs seem dingy and dirty compared with a lot of others.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...furthermore, this policy goes completely and utterly against what Wetherspoons claim on their own corporate web site
Quote:
Our aim is to provide a place where you, your family and friends can enjoy clean, comfortable surroundings, an excellent range of food and drink, all served with a smile, by the best teams in the business.

It all stinks of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and the child catcher!

What will it be next? A ban on people who break wind more than once? A ban on people who only buy one round before moving on to the next (more welcoming) pub? A ban on people under 6'2"?

They've lost my business anyway on the grounds that my money isn't as good as the next adult's after my time is up.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Most people behind a bar these days don't even seem to notice who's next in line

Wetherspoons are the absolute WORST at this too. There can be 10 people behind the bar and NO ONE is getting served. Where do they get their useless staff? Grrrr

As for the policy, if they pulled this one on me then I would tell them to chuck my kids out if they wanted by I'm staying. Laughing Alternatively, it's a good excuse for a pub crawl.

Seriously though, I have to agree with Anita somewhat...

Anita wrote:
the last thing I want in a restaurant is to be near noisy, badly behaved children.

Kids can be a nuisance in pubs if they aren't well behaved, but I don't think there's any such thing as good or badly behaved children - all kids (and their parents) have good days and bad days. My kids might be angels one day and demons the next.

If my kids are causing trouble then we'll eat up and leave pretty quickly, but if they are not causing trouble then we might stay for a little while. I know my kids must annoy a lot of people, but hey - a lot of people's kids used to annoy me and I couldn't do a damned thing about it!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Seriously though, I have to agree with Anita somewhat...

Anita wrote:
the last thing I want in a restaurant is to be near noisy, badly behaved children.

Kids can be a nuisance in pubs if they aren't well behaved, but I don't think there's any such thing as good or badly behaved children - all kids (and their parents) have good days and bad days. My kids might be angels one day and demons the next.

If my kids are causing trouble then we'll eat up and leave pretty quickly, but if they are not causing trouble then we might stay for a little while. I know my kids must annoy a lot of people, but hey - a lot of people's kids used to annoy me and I couldn't do a damned thing about it!

We have a 10 year old daughter and have always been conscious of any noise she may make that would be a disturbance to others in a bar/restaurant but I'm sure when she was a toddler that she annoyed someone at some point!

But having brought her up to behave when dining (and you can't do this without going out in the first place!) we can now enjoy a meal out in a good restaurant safe in the knowledge that she will both behave and be able to find something she likes that is not nuggets and chips!

Noisy kids aren't necessarily badly behaved kids after all and it always irks me when people make sweeping statements are made that 'kids shouldn't be in restaurants' etc etc.

Last edited by Darren on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought, also, that by the time any food has been ordered, arrived at the table and been consumed, most adults with children will be more than ready to leave a pub no matter how well behaved those children are.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
What will it be next? A ban on people who break wind more than once? A ban on people who only buy one round before moving on to the next (more welcoming) pub? A ban on people under 6'2"?

Oh Nooooo!! So they still get me if I binge drink in their one pub all night, knocking my 6'3" frame on the ceiling.

They had Mr Wetherspoon on Radio 5 on Friday about this. From what I gathered, it is applied where people bring children in for a meal. On the theory that when the kids have eaten, whilst the adults chat and drink, the kids do neither, but turn into noisy badly behaved monsters. Refusing further drinks to the adults gets the kids out. One person phoned in to say his wife (with youngster, going to meet a similarly child-equipped friend for a pub coffee or drinks meet) had been challenged before even sitting down and told the new rule, even quizzed on what they intended ordering to eat. Mr W got quite a rough ride!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
7andy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aforementioned pub chain is quibbling over whether parents should have three or more drinks whilst with their children, quoting some kind of 'caring' philosophy.
So what about Friday and Saturday night, with a crowd of loutish, noisy yobs, drunk beyond measure, and generally making a nuisance of themselves inside and outside the pub - they appear quite happy to serve these people until they fall down. Where is their 'caring' philosophy now? Sounds like they care more about profits than children to me!

Cheers, 7&Y
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as well as more profit on food than beers they also make FAR more profit on soft drinks than they do beers/wines/spirits...

if they don't want my money then sod them to be fair Smile

i much prefer 'two for one' pubs anyway Smile

MaFt
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

i much prefer 'two for one' pubs anyway Smile

Now you are going to have to tell us where you go. Two pints for the price of one sounds OK to me.

Cheers Cheers!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Food & Drink - Two For One" available for download here Laughing Laughing

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: