Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One v1 with map 6.05 - worth updating?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One v1 with map 6.05 - worth updating?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: TomTom One v1 with map 6.05 - worth updating? Reply with quote

I have a TomTom One v1 bought 2 years ago with GB map 6.05. Some major roads like the M77 upgrade are not showing. Is it worth buying the new GB map?

I would also like to buy the US map as my son is off to Florida next Septmeber. Am I better going for the USA & Canada map as opposed to just the SE US map as it's only £5 more?

I am just waiting on a new 2gb card arriving - can both maps be put on this card?

I also noticed in TomTom Home, after it updated to TomTom Home 2, that it did not give me any option to buy maps - just told me what map I had on already. Any idea why?
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't notice major differences in newer versions of the maps. I don't know the M77 intimately, so perhaps someone else can comment on that particular change.

However, if you want to upgrade your TT to version 7 software, and make use of the Mapshare facilities, then newer maps are required - they only work from v675 onwards.

As far as the US/Canada map issue is concerned, where are you considering driving? Do you think you will drive outside the range of the SE US map? That's what I would consider in the circumstances.
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
As far as the US/Canada map issue is concerned, where are you considering driving? Do you think you will drive outside the range of the SE US map? That's what I would consider in the circumstances.

Next year it will only be Florida. However it's quite possible he may go to another area at another year and then be looking at another map. Just seemed more sensible to get the whole area unless there's a reason not to. Is there a lot of detail missing from the overall version?
RedFive1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, personally, would buy the whole US & Canada map. It still claims to offer street level mapping for 99% of the counties, and for an extra fiver it seems to make more sense to me as then, whatever you decide to do in the future, you'll have a map to do it.
Likewise I'd consider the Western Europe map over th GB & Ireland one. It only cost £10 more (I think) and gives you lots more options for not a lot of money. I've recently bought the WE map to replace my year old GB + Ireland, and I've noticed it is more up to date than the old one. I don't know about the M77, but it does now include the A10 extension north of Ware which was missing from my previous map.
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did think about doing that too.

However I did wonder if both maps would fit on a 2gb card?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jem16 wrote:
However I did wonder if both maps would fit on a 2gb card?
The Western Europe is 953 MB and the US and Canada is 924MB.

With just over 20MB for the software and Postcodes Files, they should fit comfortably on a 2GB Card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One v1 with map 6.05 - worth updating? Reply with quote

jem16 wrote:
I have a TomTom One v1 bought 2 years ago with GB map 6.05. Some major roads like the M77 upgrade are not showing. Is it worth buying the new GB map?

On my v705 (the latest but one map which came with the Go720) the M77 runs from N55.64.232 W4.45924, north of Kilmarnock (junction of B7038 and A77) to the M8 at N55.84824 W4.29733. Is that right?

Quote:

I would also like to buy the US map -
I am just waiting on a new 2gb card arriving - can both maps be put on this card?

You might, but you don't say how big your present map is. If you go to the TT website mapshop at
http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/select.php?D=8&Language=1&P=407
it tells you the sizes of the new maps, so you can easily do the maths (but don't forget you need space for all the system files too). Just see how much space you've used on your present card, add the size of the US map you want and subtract it all from 2GB (or just under, 2GB cards are slightly smaller really IIRC).

[/quote]I also noticed in TomTom Home, after it updated to TomTom Home 2, that it did not give me any option to buy maps - just told me what map I had on already. Any idea why?[/quote]

It should do..., first icon is "Add Maps,Traffic,Voices etc." Click on that and first icon on following page is "Add Maps".
So long as you have your TT connected, it then shows you all the maps you already have (both on the device and on the PC) and also shows the recommended ones to buy online.

Or that's what I see anyway. Are you logged into your account? Also, you have to have the TomTom connected to buy new maps as the copy protection is now done via "Home".
NukeThemAll
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jem16; TT's web site will tell you what the downloaded file sizes are. Note that there are 2 versions of the WE map. If you connect via TT Home and it 'knows' you have a TT1 it will only offer you a map which is just less than 1 Gb. If you tell it you have another TT eg a 920, it offers you (for the same price) a 1.7Gb version - although this does include a few 100's of Mb of files which may be redundant for a TT1. There has already been some discussion regarding the differences in the amount of detail shown by each map. I have a 2Gb SD card and the larger WE map is a comfortable fit.

Given the problems of trying to source a reliable 4Gb non-SDHC card for a TT1, why not buy another 2Gb card (good ones are only ~£10-15 now) and have the relevant US map on that? - clearly, on the same trip, you're not going to need both WE and US!
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

With just over 20MB for the software and Postcodes Files, they should fit comfortably on a 2GB Card.

Thank you.

I assume that will also allow for room for speed camera database?

Am I right in thinking that once I download the maps to my PC I can keep them on there and only load on one at a time if I do find myself short of space?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Speed cameras only take up about 400KB.

Before you load each Map, do a Full Backup so that you have a Safety Net.

Then when you have both Maps installed, and working, do another Full Backup. Preferably using a Card Reader, because it's quicker.

This is using Windows Explorer, and NOT HOME.

jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One v1 with map 6.05 - worth updating? Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
On my v705 (the latest but one map which came with the Go720) the M77 runs from N55.64.232 W4.45924, north of Kilmarnock (junction of B7038 and A77) to the M8 at N55.84824 W4.29733. Is that right?

Yes that's correct.

Can you tell me if the A726 meets the M77 and continues down onto the East Kilbride road? When I drive this road, TomTom thinks I'm driving over fields!

Quote:
It should do..., first icon is "Add Maps,Traffic,Voices etc." Click on that and first icon on following page is "Add Maps".
So long as you have your TT connected, it then shows you all the maps you already have (both on the device and on the PC) and also shows the recommended ones to buy online.

It only shows me the map I already have on the device. It lists no available maps to buy. I suspect it may be to do with the application software which it wants to update but I'm short of space - still using the original supplied card.

I might as well wait until I get the new card and then update the software. Hopefully then I should get access to the maps.

Definitely logged in by the way.
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The Speed cameras only take up about 400KB.

Before you load each Map, do a Full Backup so that you have a Safety Net.

Then when you have both Maps installed, and working, do another Full Backup. Preferably using a Card Reader, because it's quicker.

This is using Windows Explorer, and NOT HOME.

I have made a backup of my original card via Home. What's better about doing it via Explorer.

Once I get the new card I plan to copy everything from the old card onto the new card using a card reader. Then I can see about the maps.

Can I, if I want to, just keep one map on a time and keep the other on my PC?
jem16
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NukeThemAll wrote:
jem16; TT's web site will tell you what the downloaded file sizes are. Note that there are 2 versions of the WE map. If you connect via TT Home and it 'knows' you have a TT1 it will only offer you a map which is just less than 1 Gb. If you tell it you have another TT eg a 920, it offers you (for the same price) a 1.7Gb version - although this does include a few 100's of Mb of files which may be redundant for a TT1. There has already been some discussion regarding the differences in the amount of detail shown by each map. I have a 2Gb SD card and the larger WE map is a comfortable fit.

How do you tell TT Home you have a different TT?

Quote:
Given the problems of trying to source a reliable 4Gb non-SDHC card for a TT1, why not buy another 2Gb card (good ones are only ~£10-15 now) and have the relevant US map on that? - clearly, on the same trip, you're not going to need both WE and US!

Something to consider.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jem16 wrote:
I have made a backup of my original card via Home. What's better about doing it via Explorer.
1. You are in control of what you Backup.

2. When HOME changes versions it's quite possible the newer version won't read the Older Backup. As has happened in going from 1.5 to 2.1

jem16 wrote:
Can I, if I want to, just keep one map on a time and keep the other on my PC?
Yes. You can ring the changes as you want.

If you Install it first, then Back it up to the PC, It's simply a case of Copy/Paste, rather than going through the Install process.

Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom One v1 with map 6.05 - worth updating? Reply with quote

jem16 wrote:
Can you tell me if the A726 meets the M77 and continues down onto the East Kilbride road? When I drive this road, TomTom thinks I'm driving over fields!
Junction 3 of the M77 is the access to the A726, which continues into East Kilbride.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: