Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 520 now £178.00 (now £159.00) but is it worth it
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 520 now £178.00 (now £159.00) but is it worth it
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: TomTom 520 now £178.00 (now £159.00) but is it worth it Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if it is worth upgrading from a TT1 V1 with 6.75 maps, to the TT 520.

I know all the bells and whistles that come with it. I do not need euro maps, I just want to know if it is worth the money or not.

Are the problems still there or have the upgrades sorted it ? Is it any good ?

Sorry to be so blunt, but I really don't want to start another 36 page debate on how good/bad TomTom are.

Thanks, Keith

Last edited by Musketter on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if you WANT the bells and whistles.
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL, I asked for that. I am a bloke, of course I want the bells and whistles !
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could upgrade your map to the latest v710 at a cost of £29:95 which is considerably cheaper than purchasing a 520.

Do you really need hands free for the phone? - I would also check your phone is actually compatible with the device first as not all phones are supported.

The x20 also offers you the iPOD or RDS-TMC connection point, the RDS-TMC is not that good, I tend to use it but only in conjunction with common sense and reading road gantry signs, either of these accessories will cost you further money though.

Music player, picture viewer and FM transmitter, these are very good IMHO - BUT if you live inside the M25 you might find problems locating a free FM Frequency to make full use of the FM Transmitter. - Mike
Bird_FAT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: 2p Reply with quote

Here's my 2 pence worth!

I bought my 520 when they where £270 and I still think it was worth every penny!

I have both a bluetooth phone and an iPod and use them along with the FM transmitter and it makes it all SOOO easy.
When the iPod and phone are connected, the volume is all controlled by the TT; meaning that the music volume cuts out when your phone gets a call, and also when you are given instructions. For this alone I think it is worth the money. (you can also set up incoming calls to answer immediately, or after 3 rings [I like this one as I have a few seconds to get ready])
Yes, buying a BT headset is dirt cheap, as is an adaptor/new radio, but then you still have to faff around with volumes - radio/iPod down, TT up... and just when it's all about right (if you haven't crashed yet) you get a phone call and have to change the radio volume AGAIN.

Only bitch I have is that when listening to audiobooks you may miss a second or two when instructions are said - not a major issue, but I'd love this to be fixed in a future app update! (HINT HINT! any TT developers).

Nuff Said!

Bird
123dixie123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother Save your £. Plus on top of the other advice given.If you want am Mp3/Video player that cuts out properly when Phone/Directions are needed etc then get Mobilnova on your TT. I'v had it for ages with no problems at all. Go for an hardwire link between your TT and the Aux-in on your car radio (if it has one) that solves the frequency probs. Ps. If you didn't know already the TT Traffic is useless anyway.
Stecha
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 700 cost me £425 IIRC, then, couple moths later the 910 came out, making it obsolete and worth a lot less, straight away Evil or Very Mad . Makes £178 sound damn cheap.
russd1978
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stecha wrote:
My 700 cost me £425 IIRC, then, couple moths later the 910 came out, making it obsolete and worth a lot less, straight away Evil or Very Mad . Makes £178 sound damn cheap.

I paid £425 for my Go Classic back November 2004. Yep £178 sounds like a bargain to me too! Shocked
jjv
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: TT 520 Reply with quote

I am thinking of getting a 520 to replace my Go 700. Has anybody used the automatic "overspeed limit" warning (not the manually set one), if so, how is the limit for the road displayed, and what happens when you go over the limit? Does it flash as well as audible warn for instance.
Thanks.
John.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current speed and speed limit are shown thus:
"53/60" when speeding the display changes to red, "66/60" or is it "66/60" these days - it will depend upon the software version you use and yes it does flash. The choice of red as the colour is a poor one though as it dosn't show up too well against the blue background.
The audio alert will sound as you start to speed, after a few seconds it will switch off, this is a good thing as the road speed limits within the map data are not allways correct, Northbound on the M6 through the LakeDistrict for example is set to a 50MPH limit so when driving at the legal speed you get the overspeed warning - Mike
jjv
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: TT 520 Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, that sounds just the job.
HummerUK
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

720 Now on offer at Argos in sale for £159.99
http://email-argos.co.uk/re?l=bksa9iI37v59b0I1x

Edit. Higher price on their website

HummerUK
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks HummerUK. I got the email as well but then got another telling me it was a error.

I have now found them down to £165.00 with free p&p so I will wait just a little longer and see what price they come up at.
jjv
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered one at £165, after returning from an argument with the woman in Argos! Evil or Very Mad
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjv wrote:
I've ordered one at £165, after returning from an argument with the woman in Argos! Evil or Very Mad

Ummm, where?!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: