Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - map upgrade now no postcode search
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

map upgrade now no postcode search
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: map upgrade now no postcode search Reply with quote

hi i have upgraded my maps on my tomtom 500...but i now have lost the postcode search....i have a backup of my 500 before the upgrade and i also have a 520....is it possible to get the file off the 520 and put it onto the 500....if not can i get it from the backup of the 500....if so where is it stored
Cheers
Rob
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post codes live in a folder called 'zip'. There should be two files in this folder, a large one called 'Great_Britain.Postal' and a small one called 'Great_BritainPostal.ver'. You should be able to retrieve these from your backup.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in the root of your devices memory for a folder called "zip" is there anything in it? as this is where the postcode data is stored.

The files should be:
Great_Britain.postal
Great_BritainPostal.ver

Please don't swap files between the devices, this might mess up the device even further, it might work in this case but I wouldn't chance it - Mike
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember someone posting a link to a TomTom support article that provided an updated postcode file download. Does this still exist, my maps have all been upgraded to V710 but I do not beleive that I've received any updates to the postcode files.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that link exists any more. New post code files were downloaded with a new map the last time that I updated but that's a while ago now. If I recall correctly there was a box to tick to have new postcode files included in the download. I have not updated my maps to version 710 yet and the procedure may well have changed now that we have to use home 2 to get map updates.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 710 Map download didn't include any Postcode Files.

Just copy the zip Folder from your Backup to the Device, and they will work again.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Hemlock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest Postcode version you are looking for is v701 I think you will find.
TT Go 5200
UK/ROI and Worldwide
Samsung S8
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you have lost the postcode search do you mean you have lost the icon as well ?
I have also lost the postcode search but the postcode icon is still there & it also asks for the postcode, ie: if I type in DA12 3QR it used to give me the name of the road etc but now I just get DA12 & then I still have to type in the road name .
Do I also have to copy over this file.
(I have just loaded on new maps & updated the software)
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the files in the 'zip' folder are missing then it will work exactly as you describe, you will be able to enter 4 digits of the post code and then it will ask for the road name.

If the files in the 'zip' folder are present you should see some postcodes displayed after you select the Postcode icon but before you start to type anything. The first line displayed is 'AB101AF Upperkirkgate', this changes as you type in the postcode that you want.

The Postcode icon remains present even if there are no files in the 'zip' folder.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you I have just done some research & yes the zip folder was missing, I have copied it off my old map & now I have 7 digit postcodes again. I will email tomtom because surely these postcodes should have been updated as well because now I only have old postcodes on a so called new map Rolling Eyes
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought 710 Western Europe from TomTom in November it did not update the postcode folder. The one I had was dated June 2006. I contacted TomTom support to ask if I could download a newer version and they told me there were no more recent postcodes. However, a friend of mine has a newer device and his postcode files were dated April 2007. I copied his Zip folder and put it in place of mine and it works fine. I don't think that was a breach of any copyright rules, because updated postcode folders are available free and my 710 maps were bought directly from TomTom
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the date on the file has much relevance.

If you look inside the 'Great_BritainPostal.ver' file using a text editor does it say 'version=701'? This seems to be the latest version (unless anyone knows differently?).
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:

If you look inside the 'Great_BritainPostal.ver' file using a text editor does it say 'version=701'? This seems to be the latest version (unless anyone knows differently?).

Just got a 920, statesside, v 701 for UK and 707 for Netherlands.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F2 wrote:
pcaouolte wrote:

Just got a 920, statesside, v 701 for UK and 707 for Netherlands.

Where from ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
When I bought 710 Western Europe from TomTom in November it did not update the postcode folder. The one I had was dated June 2006. I contacted TomTom support to ask if I could download a newer version and they told me there were no more recent postcodes. However, a friend of mine has a newer device and his postcode files were dated April 2007. I copied his Zip folder and put it in place of mine and it works fine. I don't think that was a breach of any copyright rules, because updated postcode folders are available free and my 710 maps were bought directly from TomTom
Robin

I asked TT why there was no new postcode data supplied with the v710 maps (as I had just helped a friend update his Go700 from v660 maps so his were well out of date).
Typically, TT replied with details of how to get postcodes working again if you had lost them (i.e. NOT my question) but they DID helpfully send a link to an "updated" postcodes file

Unfortunately, what they sent was EVEN OLDER than the one he had already!
They sent **Version 504** and he already had Version 603 with his v660 maps from around January 2006, so installing their "update" would have made matters worse not better.

When I pointed that out to them, they just said:
Quote:
Many Apologies for the link there, it should have been the correct postcode link, but it looks like they have taken the link from our servers for maintenance.

They didn't send a new link...

Quote:
In the meantime, what you can do is copy the 'zip' folder from your device and tell your friend to paste it directly onto the root of his TomTom directory.

So MY new ones were OK on his machine and they weren't bothered by their own copyright rules (The postcode files are actually used under licence from the Royal Mail).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: