Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unlocking additional Unit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unlocking additional Unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Unlocking additional Unit Reply with quote

If I request an additional Unlock key to install City Navigator NT V9 for a another unit, can I still register the additional unit to get the free Update when NT 2008 comes out in January ?

Cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past you got a free upgrade if you bought a unit with old maps when new ones had already been released.

If you buy an unlock now then you wouldn't qualify for an upgrade under that scheme. I also understand that Garmin may not be operating this policy any more with the release of the v10 (2008) maps.

However best to get the info from Garmin.

If you do get any feed back we'd appreciate it if you'd post it here.

Quote:
when NT 2008 comes out in January

Has Garmin told you this because the best i currently have is sometime early 2008....
Zondaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
In the past you got a free upgrade if you bought a unit with old maps when new ones had already been released.

If you buy an unlock now then you wouldn't qualify for an upgrade under that scheme. I also understand that Garmin may not be operating this policy any more with the release of the v10 (2008) maps.

However best to get the info from Garmin.

If you do get any feed back we'd appreciate it if you'd post it here.

Quote:
when NT 2008 comes out in January

Has Garmin told you this because the best i currently have is sometime early 2008....

What I meant is that a relative has already done the NT 9 upgrade but it gives you the option of unlocking an additional unit for free. So if I upgrade from V8 to V9 now, then register my unit when 2008 is out (I was told January when I rang their support number), say Garmin does allow free 2008 upgrades, will this still work if I have already done a free upgrade on someone else's account?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask Garmin.

Be aware that giving false info when registering in order to get an upgrade you are not entitled to is fraud.
missing_user

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zondaf wrote:

What I meant is that a relative has already done the NT 9 upgrade but it gives you the option of unlocking an additional unit for free. So if I upgrade from V8 to V9 now, then register my unit when 2008 is out (I was told January when I rang their support number), say Garmin does allow free 2008 upgrades, will this still work if I have already done a free upgrade on someone else's account?

I think:-

The free 2nd unlock code option was removed in June 2007.[except in certain circumstances]

The free 2nd unlock code option was [in the past] only available to units registered to the same Garmin Account and home address!

To upgrade now from v8 to v9 is a total waste of effort [unless you are visiting Ireland or Eastern Europe in the next two months]! As the old rules would have allowed you the same options when going v7 to v9.

Maps are upgraded each Jan/Feb and cost the registered users app. £50 to update.

Registering a unit to someone else's account de-values your unit if you wish to sell it, as it will be locked to a specific account [not yours]!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: