Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Broadband speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Broadband speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems accurate enough. My router is reporting a sync speed of 6272 / 512 Kbps

I used to get 7 Meg but I've wired up an extension cable and this has dropped the speed by about 1 meg. Eventually I'll get around to bringing it back up to full speed.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
paul, you need to phone virgin and tell them about all the wonderful offers you keep being sent and ask them if they'd upgrade your broadband free of charge in order to keep your custom.

that's what i did - i also blagged cheaper phone calls to mobiles

...this is what I just did and:

TV, phone, discounted calls to mobiles, 20mb/s broadband

for considerably LESS than:

TV, phone, 4mb/s broadband with NO discounted calls for mobiles

All you need to do is ask to be put through to the 'Retentions' department 0800-2000 Mon-Fri, 0900-1700 Sat and tell them that you're thinking of leaving. They'll think of a few excuses, but then they'll look at your account and give you a nice juicy discount

BTW, there are rumours that the 20mb/s broadband will be upgraded to 50mb/s, whilst 2mb/s and 4mb/s will remain unchanged
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan

I'll do it after Xmas. Cheers

Also just thought that i haven't actually had to call Virgin Media since they took over for any technical issues. In fact i think it's been 3-4 years since we had any technical issues with Telewest / VM at all, so things may have changed since i last called them.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Also just thought that i haven't actually had to call Virgin Media since they took over for any technical issues. In fact i think it's been 3-4 years since we had any technical issues with Telewest / VM at all, so things may have changed since i last called them.

You'll see a difference, especially with customer services - it doesn't take an hour or so in the queue any more (or at least it didn't when I phoned them the last few times)...straight through to somebody after a few rings.

Remember also, that he easiest way to speak to customer services is to dial 150 from a Virgin phone and you don't have to remember any 0800 numbers or anything. Fault reports and support, the first call should be 151, then dial any other number as required from recorded messages.

Good luck
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With BT BB. I just did a few tests and found it faster from London than the recommended server, and faster from San Francisco than Washington DC.

Not sure what that means but I accept whatever download speed I'm experiencing at that point in time.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found London and Washington DC faster on one occasion, but the recommended server is generally more consistently faster - I guess it just depends on how much traffic there is at a given time.

What intrigued me more, though, was seeing how few servers there are in the UK for speed tests whilst some other countries are littered with them - is this a sign that we're a bit behind with broadband in the UK?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

So, what speeds to you get reported by speedtest.net ?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

I'm still waiting for it to be upgraded - can take up to 24hrs apparently

I'll let you know as soon as I have my 'new toy'
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

1) English isn't the first language of the person you're speaking to
2) they don't understand you
3) they don't understand the 'technical' stuff
4) they keep repeating themselves, until you're almost convinced that the problem may be at your end

GPS_Fan - who are you with? Never had anything like that with Virgin Media.

I have that on my regular calls to BT, it used to be a great company now the service sucks.

Every time you talk it is to somewhere in India, the staff read from a sheet, every extra phone call made starts back at the beginning with the exact same questions, but from a different voice.
If you dare ask a question not on their sheet they fall to pieces and have to refer to someone else.

Your bang on with your comments!!!!
I've just potted BT after having broadband with them for (about) 7 years.
The service is appalling, the HomeHub is a bag of nails, tech support clueless & 'customer care' rude/obnoxious & ignorant.
Just joined AOL ....not brilliant (connection seems to drop off on occasions) BUT the tech people are excellent AND you get a free laptop!!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

before I got to speak to somebody in the retentions department, I got somebody in a call centre 'off-shore' and had to explain to them in words of no more than 2 syllables what the retentions department was - a great way to keep customers who are thinking of leaving because they're dissatisfied (not those who are 'thinking' of leaving just to get a better deal)

...if you drift away from their script, they're clueless.

In my experience, though, all these companies are just as bad as each other using cheap foreign call centres - but the tables are beginning to turn.

Some companies are finding that staff in these call centres aren't loyal and turnover is high, training costs are increasing and these foreign call centres aren't much cheaper than 'onshore' call centres staffed by people whose first language is English and the support people have more of an idea what they're dealing with.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this BB speed tester run fives times in succession and it will show you the result of each down/upload and the average speed.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BUT the tech people are excellent

Heh! this time last year i was arguing with AOL Support for a customer because one day his service just dropped.

I did a load of tests and it looked like there was no signal on the line. Neither his Linksys Router or his AOL modem would start "training".

We tried all the phone sockets in the house and his PC and laptop. Nothing worked. Took router next door, plugged into neighbours phone line (he has BT BB) and the router started "Training".

Ran AOL and explained everything. They wanted us to go through rebooting the PC, trying different sockets, filters the lot. No matter how many times i explained there appears to be no signal they made us go through the usual routines. Eventually we got to speak to someone else. AOL said BT were responsible and we had to speak to them. AOL would not give us a number to call. BT said BT Wholesale was responsible and wouldn't give us a number to call.

Eventually AOL decided that the router wasn't compatible - even through it had worked for a year and I've set up many routers on AOL and other ISPs.

5 days later he noticed the lights were back on on the router. Internet Connection was back!! He then got a call from AOL Customer Services to state everything should be OK now. When he asked what the problem was they told him "Nothing" and hung up! His mum got a call from BT and had similar conversation.

AOL offered compensation by allowing him to have the Platinum Service but only pay for the Gold Service. Typically of AOL they also downgraded his service to Gold and another round of phone calls started.....

Don't get me started on TalkTalk......
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend with BT and they got him to change all the settings on his computer - SMTP server authentication, password change, the works.

He's really computer illiterate and they talked him through the whole process.

Then, when this hadn't rectified his problem, they turned around and said 'we don't support Mac

....mmm, so having talked him through the process, they were 'unable' to talk him back to returning his settings to what they'd been prior to the call Confused

I think there are good and bad in all organisations - sadly, they always seem to leave the knowledgeable in areas where customers don't usually have access
DaveNN
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
BUT the tech people are excellent

AOL offered compensation by allowing him to have the Platinum Service but only pay for the Gold Service. Typically of AOL they also downgraded his service to Gold and another round of phone calls started.....

Don't get me started on TalkTalk......

Mmmm...Talk Talk are a bit iffy.
I suppose that all call centers ( as any other business) are only as good as their poorest emplyee.
BT wouldn't give me my mac (migration code)..this is illegal.
I suggested that I may as well cancel my bt line full stop...to be told that 'you can do what you like sir'.
Last week bt rang me to tell me that they will reduce my broadband charges by a further £2.00 p/month......unbelievable!!!!!!!
My employer are continuously investing in LCCs (low cost countries) for both production & infrastructure support. Staff turnover is appalling (if only that there is so much competition for workers) so quality of service & product suffers due to contant training of replacement staff.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
GPS_fan wrote:

18745kb/s download

723kb/s upload

18850kb/s download

723kb/s upload

18767 download

725kb/s upload

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: