Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you be prepared to pay for premium Ordnance Survey POIs?
Nothing, I am happy with the supplied POIs
3%
 3%  [ 27 ]
Nothing, POIs should be free
35%
 35%  [ 285 ]
£1.00 per category download
6%
 6%  [ 55 ]
£5.00 to download all POIs
15%
 15%  [ 123 ]
£10.00 annual subscription to download when I want
39%
 39%  [ 321 ]
Total Votes : 811

101sean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can already download areas of OS mapping free online and get the whole of the UK at 50K and much at 25K for reasonable cost. Business, local government etc pay a lot of money for getting higher resolution mapping which has to be constantly revised, I doubt whether funds from government cover all of this.

OSGB is far more accessible than the OSI here in Ireland (also govt funded) where I can't even get digital mapping in my area for my PDA yet and nothing is available free online. They wanted so much money that Navteq did their own mapping rather than pay through the nose. You even have to pay for accessing historical maps which can be done for free in UK.

One way OS could do it for free is to have the POIs displayable on the free mapping on the likes of Multimap or Getmapping, then manually put destination in your sat nav. If you want the convenience of downloading, then pay for it.
charliej
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you... Reply with quote

Many of the POIs are corporate, so the cost should be met by them as a sort of advertising charge!
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted £10, but as has been mentioned that is dependent on quality and presentation. It will depend a lot on the last level of Brand. Most people will not just want fast food; they’ll want a particular brand. Similarly petrol, clothing etc. How up to date will it be? It seems to take (literally) years to update maps at the moment.

If we pay £10 and get a quality product that’s fine. If we pay £10 and it’s garbage it will sink anyway.

p.s. MikeB’s postcode data won’t have come from the OS but from Royal Mail, and I guess they would deliver to the delivery dock. Makes a lot of sense to me.
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to all those who believe that we paid through our taxes so shouldn't pay again, I've just worked out that the OS represented about 62pence of my huge tax bill and as I'm no longer in the UK and won't make use of the POI's I'm going to make a tax refund demand to the inland revenue for this.

I'll also be expecting 6 years of council tax refunds for supporting all your kids through school as I don't have any of my own, and while we're at it I had private medical insurance so perhaps I'll demand a refund from the NHS as well.

After all we should get what we paid for Laughing

(... and anyone who thinks I'm being serious needs a life!)
ShoxDr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apskinner wrote:
In response to all those who believe that we paid through our taxes so shouldn't pay again, I've just worked out that the OS represented about 62pence of my huge tax bill and as I'm no longer in the UK and won't make use of the POI's I'm going to make a tax refund demand to the inland revenue for this.

I'll also be expecting 6 years of council tax refunds for supporting all your kids through school as I don't have any of my own, and while we're at it I had private medical insurance so perhaps I'll demand a refund from the NHS as well.

After all we should get what we paid for Laughing

(... and anyone who thinks I'm being serious needs a life!)

All the above that you didn't take benefit from was your choice, however paying TAX isn't.

I used to have a business drawing Maps for Walkers, MTB etc the amount of money the OS wanted for data was incredible, but I was selling the data on.

I see no reason why we should have to pay for any of this data, if it isn't going to be used for monetary gain
JamesM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted £1 per catagory, since I am almost certain I would only use a few (2 or 3) in any meaning full way.

BTW, (and very off topic) governments charging for services IS personal freedom - not forcing people to pay for what they don't want, and charging people (who can afford it) for what they do allows freedom. What you lot are all complaining about is the inexorable rise in taxes generally, and the huge number of non-productive civil servants (I mean in a global economy sense not a personal laziness sense - not attacking individuals here)!
scubakid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my view this is just like a better version of yellow pages and we do not have to pay for this, It should be funded by the businesses that are included in the POI database. Very Happy
chiggers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK tax payers have already paid for the data once so why should we pay again? i would accept paying a nominal fee to the providor.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiggers wrote:
UK tax payers have already paid for the data once so why should we pay again? i would accept paying a nominal fee to the providor.

Welcome to the forum.

There are very good arguments (above) in this Forum for doing so. They're written by more erudite members that me, so I suggest you read the whole lot first, then consider making the same statement again..;-)
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is how often is it updated. For example, restaurants open and close on a very regular basis. Petrol stations are disappearing and being converted to flats etc. Most of the POIs won't be of use so maybe a pay-as-u-go subscription model with regular updates would be better.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan_whoops wrote:
The main issue is how often is it updated. For example, restaurants open and close on a very regular basis. Petrol stations are disappearing and being converted to flats etc. Most of the POIs won't be of use so maybe a pay-as-u-go subscription model with regular updates would be better.

Sorry I forgot to mention in the article that the database is updated 4 times a year. As with the road maps the actual POIs could lag behind the releases a bit.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spideog wrote:
Is the OS not a government agency rather than a private company? Therefore UK tax payers have already paid for the data once so why would it not be free.

It has taken me a while to get to the bottom of this and find out exactly who pays for the OS.

The Ordnance Survey is a non-ministerial government agency that operates as a trading fund. This effectively means that no tax-payer's money is used to provide the OS services or products, in fact it is actually the reverse. The OS makes a profit which the exchequer receives, thus reducing our tax burden.

It can be viewed as some have put it that the people who want the data and can afford it pay for it, whilst the rest of the Tax Payers benefit from this activity.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
chiggers wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

There are very good arguments (above) in this Forum for doing so. They're written by more erudite members that me, so I suggest you read the whole lot first, then consider making the same statement again..;-)
hello chiggers

no it should be free, as others have said the taxpayer has already paid for the collation. I think it is ok for you to take a morale high ground and say along the line ''do you expect so and so free too!'' well no i don't expect everything for free, but i dont expect to wake up tommorrow and find a pound slot machine in the street lights in my street to make them light '' well the council put them in you know, do you expect them to light them aswell'' or if i phone the police i dont expect a 'bill'' because the government pays them to sit in a police station and 'you dont expect them to attend for something like a burgulary do you'' well yes i do actually. i am fed up of potty do goody pc correct kno*s, who would rather tax and price the joe average out of existance, its about time people stood up and said enough is enough, get rid of some of the top heavy beaurocrats and stop thinking up new ways to tax people Twisted Evil

rant over Very Happy
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This effectively means that no tax-payer's money is used to provide the OS services or products, in fact it is actually the reverse. The OS makes a profit which the exchequer receives, thus reducing our tax burden.

Thanks Mike for that. I wonder if it will alter some people's opinions. I hope I have not taken the above quote out of context, but I think that does sum up the situation.

If I want to use the service then I would be prepared to pay for it as I have indicated previously. However, I think we will still get people that want something for nothing: never mind all those arguments about, I have paid my taxes so I expect to get it for free etc.. I guess the argument will now change to, I'm not paying for other people to benefit, so I still expect to get it for free. We'll see.

Graham
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the arguments the same i guess though some will try to make people feel guilty for having an opinion and daring to show it on a public forum.
i do not think introducing a charge is necessary, and neither do i think the info is worth paying for imho

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: