Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ordnance Survey has 4,000,000 POIs for you...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much would you be prepared to pay for premium Ordnance Survey POIs?
Nothing, I am happy with the supplied POIs
3%
 3%  [ 27 ]
Nothing, POIs should be free
35%
 35%  [ 285 ]
£1.00 per category download
6%
 6%  [ 55 ]
£5.00 to download all POIs
15%
 15%  [ 123 ]
£10.00 annual subscription to download when I want
39%
 39%  [ 321 ]
Total Votes : 811

plank0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This database should be free to all, as a tax payer, I've already paid for this government agency to do it's job. Do they really want me to pay agin, after I've paid there wages, and paid for them to there job!.
Version 7.481 (9086/080324) OS:3024
GPS v1.21, Boot 5.4106
Western_Europe v710.1561
TT RDS-TMC: 4V00.010.2

PeterLB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tenner a year for unlimited access to 4,000,000 (and likely growing) POIs? Bargain. Very Happy
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on this are:

1. I think the subscription model would work best because I'd want to be able to get the POIs by location, not by category. I want a customised file for "me". When I've gone to visit a place, I've often wished I could have all the major locations in the area loaded so I can know where the nearest swimming pool is, or petrol, or country house, or pub. My ideal would be able to specify how near each category should be to a particular location (town or other POI) so I could have petrol within 3 miles, country houses within 50 miles etc. Obviously these options would be stored on my account.

2. The subscription fee would be good value if this sort of facility existed.

3. You can reduce piracy if delivered like this as each selection would be unique, and could have a marker POI.

4. I want my POIs to tell me where to DRIVE to. A lot of POIs show the location of a country house (for example) in the middle of some fields. That's no good for navigating as the satnav then takes you to the closest road and effectively says "go across the fields now". What I want is the POIs to be navigable, and when I ask for a country house I want to be taken to the main entrance for the public, just off the main road. If there are other references, make them separate, so "Country house main entrance", "Country house actual", "Country house deliveries".
si952
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Put them on two CD's and post them Reply with quote

If the OS were to put the data onto two CD ROM's then post them maybe the will bei in the public domain in a couple of months anyway.... Laughing
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spideog wrote:
Is the OS not a government agency rather than a private company? Therefore UK tax payers have already paid for the data once so why would it not be free.

RANT -
Sorry not picking on you Spideog, just that you were the first to bring this up, I know that your comment is correct, but the government have to get their money to spend from somewhere.
Every department spends money whether we agree in its use or not, the MOD has a big budget, all found from the taxpayer, but not every taxpayer agrees with funding defence, but as a tax payer are forced to pay for it.
If this same principal went through every department and no other income collected, our taxes would be huge and there would be daily complaints as to i don't use/agree with that, so why should i pay for it.

It should be that any department including the OS who are able to collect additional funds, should be able to do so, to lighten the load from other tax payers, if you require a map or POI, why should a young person who pay's tax have to subsidise that, when he/she has no use for it.

Politicians will always find away to spend your taxes, whether additional income is added (as from the sale of maps and POI’s) is there or not, they will find a way of increasing the expenditure and make us pay more tax.
Eventually using this method, departments would collapse, as there is not enough money available to carry out the work and all those great departments such as the OS would disappear, we would just be a boring country with no input to show off to the world how great we are.

If the OS is great enough to collect extra revenue then that should be allowed, especially as it comes from the people who most require their effort without penalising others who don’t.

We all want lower tax but then expect “freebies” in return.
Sorry, nothing is for nothing, money has to be found somewhere.

Sorry to bore you, but after the numerous amount agreeing with you had my two p's worth from the other side.

END OF RANT
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthewj wrote:

1. I think the subscription model would work best because I'd want to be able to get the POIs by location, not by category. I want a customised file for "me". When I've gone to visit a place, I've often wished I could have all the major locations in the area loaded so I can know where the nearest swimming pool is, or petrol, or country house, .........
2. The subscription fee would be good value if this sort of facility existed.
3. You can reduce piracy if delivered like this .................
4. I want my POIs to tell me where to DRIVE to. .................".

Welcome to the Forum, Matthew

I don't know if I misunderstand you, but surely POIs as you describe do exist and I use them all the time. If I am in a particular area and want (say) a petrol station, or an hotel, or a cash dispenser, whatever, I go to the particular category, on my POIs on the device, that I want and they are then displayed in distances. I can then choose which I want to go to and I am directed straight to it - not over fields etc..
What are you suggesting different to that and what are you using at the moment?
drew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should not have to pay a single penny for this information.

It has been collated using TAX. OSGB are a government quango paid for through taxation. I have already paid for this data.

It strikes me as ridiculous that we should pay additional taxes to access what should be public information.

In the USA, the equivalent organisation, the USGS have to give out the information for free or "at cost", ie. the price of a DVD-R + postage to any taxpayer who asks for it.

This is because ALL information collected by the government has been paid for by taxation. Government is not meant to be a capitalist monopoly. They are meant to be our servants not our masters.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew wrote:
In the USA, the equivalent organisation, the USGS have to give out the information for free or "at cost", ie. the price of a DVD-R + postage to any taxpayer who asks for it.

Wahoo, lead by example! The yanks can obviously see a free deal when they see it. Cool

Obviously the Americans can do whatever they like in yankland, but the principal is still the same. If joe public want the information they should be able to access it, but if UK business wants it then there should be a cost. Private use against corporate gain.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If joe public want the information they should be able to access it, but if UK business wants it then there should be a cost. Private use against corporate gain.

The Robin Hood principle, eh! Joker
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathewj has a very valid point here about POI locations, if for example a POI category contained locations of castles etc where should the actual POI location be, should it be exactly where the castle is located or located at the point of access from the nearest public road (most locations such as these are down private drives), which are often not on the map, so the nav unit cannot compute a route to the location, it will get you close though.

I would expect OS to provide POI files based upon its excellent maps in which case the POI location will probably be a true location rather than offset to cater for road using sat navs, I might be wrong we will have to see.

Any chance of some data to sample as an example file to see how good the data actually is -Mike
R_II
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10 a year seems quite fair to me
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea but who is going to ensure that these POIs are going to be kept up to date? Sure that the major players ie retailers restaurants petrol stations etc will only be too happy to oblige OS and go on their database, but what happens when the location closes down or be taken over or even rebranded? As a newbie I found it strange that a company (John Menzies) that was taken over by WHS in 1998 is still on the VM list of retail POIs. Not VMs fault obviously but who is going to take responsibilty - the mapping supplier or the retailer? I don't want to be seen as a grumpy old git, but do OS realise the can of worms thy are just about to open? Keep it simple and let individuals gather and store their own POI databases I think.
PhilDibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to pay provided that I was confident the POIs would load on my Zumo 550 without mishap.
AndyT328
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paid my tax to the government already (Squandered?),not gonna pay again for something I already paid for. Voted free
george57l
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref all the chat about "it should be free" - The Guardian has been running a campaign for over a year about freeing public data and has written about OS many many times.

Many past articles at http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/freeourdata explaining the benefits of free public data.

The Free Our Data blog is at
http://freeourdata.org.uk/blog/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: