Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr image geotagging system review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr image geotagging system review.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr image geotagging system review. Reply with quote

The GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr system allows digital pictures to have the location that the image was taken embedded in the image file. This is a complete package which includes a GPS datalogger and the software to match the date and time an image was taken to the recorded trip log. This process is known as geotagging or georeferencing.

This year I have reviewed a number of digital image geotagging systems all of which have been very much focused on the hardware with the supporting software an (often poor) afterthought. Not so with the GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr. This is a software package that just happens to use a GPS datalogger. This is very apparent when you install the software and look at the workflow.

Click here to find out how I got on with the image geotagging system.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, one question? Does the s/w only update JPG files or does it understand RAW files?

Cheers

Alan
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
Mike, one question? Does the s/w only update JPG files or does it understand RAW files?

Cheers

Alan

The Pro Version is supposed to understand RAW files for a number of cameras, but I was not able to get it to recognise the NEF files from my Nikon D70. It was not a big problem for me as I mainly use JPGs anyway, and when I do shoot RAW I use RAW+JPG.

For the RAW files it is supposed to create sidecar files with the details.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know the difference with this device to the 'lite' version should on the website. I like the sound of the lite version as it sounds to be smaller and runs on a AA battery
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Do you know the difference with this device to the 'lite' version should on the website. I like the sound of the lite version as it sounds to be smaller and runs on a AA battery

From what I can see the Lite version just has a different GPS. Although no mention is made of the chipset I would hazard a guess at the MTK GPS Chipset, which is very good. Having a AA sized power source is both good and bad, personally I prefer the rechargeable variety.

Ons good thing about the lite version is that the GPS seems to come with a lanyard to clip onto your camera bag or backpack.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
jonandmarkuk wrote:

From what I can see the Lite version just has a different GPS. Although no mention is made of the chipset I would hazard a guess at the MTK GPS Chipset, which is very good. Having a AA sized power source is both good and bad, personally I prefer the rechargeable variety.

Ons good thing about the lite version is that the GPS seems to come with a lanyard to clip onto your camera bag or backpack.

Maybe you could get them to send a lite version over so you can compare Wink I do like the idea of a AA battery powered one as I'm thinking it could be good for my father in law when out bird watching. At least if the battery is running low AA batterys are easy to carry / buy.
ianchapp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can this do anything that a tracklogging GPS and www.robogeo.com can't?

I've used RoboGeo for a few years now, and it is an EXCELLENT low-cost programme. One of those rare bits of software which seems almost bug-free. You can geo-tag the JPG's, and/or create Google Earth, Google Maps, and Flickr outputs, together with many other useful features, such as writing the co-ordinates onto the picture (visibly). I'd give it 10/10 with no hesitation!
simontdc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use GPSPhotoLinker for the Mac - have been using it with my Garmin for a while, but about to try it out with the LR9553D data logger. - http://www.tdc.co.uk/index.php?key=lr9553d

I'll let you know how it works.
simontdc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - it's all working fine, in fact Leadtek supply some useful software with the device for a change! - logging is simple, it just saves a text file with all the RMC messages at whatever interval you like, when you plug the device into a PC, the file appears there.

It can be easily converted to a KML file and overlaid on Google Earth.

Going to be using it a lot to geotag my pictures.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question about these devices is what happens if the battery runs out while on holiday. Do you loose all your data and how does it deal with different time zones. Say I set the camera time in the UK on the PC then go to the states will all the pictures come out in the wrong place?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
My question about these devices is what happens if the battery runs out while on holiday. Do you loose all your data and how does it deal with different time zones. Say I set the camera time in the UK on the PC then go to the states will all the pictures come out in the wrong place?

If the battery runs out when you are away then all the data you recorded remains intact. You obviously wont be able to record more data without recharging it.

GiSTeq have introduced a new datalogger which has an MTK chipset and a replaceable AA size battery.

The datalogger always works in GMT (not adjusted for summertime) If your camera is set for UK time and left on that when you go on holiday to different timezones then all your pictures will be tagged correctly. If you change the time on the camera to local time then all is not lost the software has a time offset feature which allows you to match up you images to the log.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, so would the datalogger be even better than the Phototrackr? Obviously the better and quicker the fix on GPS the better. I don't want to have to spend ages waiting to take a picture.

I have also been looking at the ATP Photofinder, not sure if it's much larger than the Phototrackr but think being able to pop the SD card in at the end of the day and transfer the data over could be handy.

http://photofinder.atpinc.com/
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Cheers, so would the datalogger be even better than the Phototrackr? Obviously the better and quicker the fix on GPS the better. I don't want to have to spend ages waiting to take a picture.

I have also been looking at the ATP Photofinder, not sure if it's much larger than the Phototrackr but think being able to pop the SD card in at the end of the day and transfer the data over could be handy.

http://photofinder.atpinc.com/

Sorry for the confusion I am creating. I use the term Datalogger as a generic name for GPS logging devices. PhotoTrackr is the brand name of the GiSTeq product. They are currently offering 3 versions of the product. The one I was referring to is the PhotoTrackr Lite http://www.gisteq.com/PhotoTrackrLite.php

I have seen the specifications for the ATP system, but I have not yet received a sample for review. This system will be much less tolerant of time mismatches and the Camera and Photofinder will probably need to be accurately synchronised.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I was thinking about the Lite version anyway as it looks a little smaller and I love the idea of being able to just pop in AA batteries if they run out. Unless your in the middle of nowhere you can always get batteries from somewhere.

Hope you get one of the ATP ones soon to have a play with.
sgrimshaw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gisteq website claims that the PhotoTrackr Lite can be carried inside a backpack without loss of satellite reception.

Is that possible?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: