Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: route planning Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how the online route planning will function? will it be similar to that of memory map where you can save the route as a seperate file? Also are the memory map routes in the same file format? so you can plan a route on mem map. Some how Im guessing not.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the sound of this reply to my above problem one bit!!! Shocked

Thank you for your mail. The gpx up & download app is due for release in the near future, as a simple download from the website.

We found that ActiveSync was generally giving users of other (non Satmap) products some headaches, and we therefore decided to produce a simpler, more stable version, designed specifically for the Active 10 series. More details about handling gpx files will be available on the web closer to the time.

The User Forum is also in the process of construction, and will be released as soon as possible.

This is from the people that said 'the website will be launched in a week or two'......in June!!

It can't do what I bought it specifically for....to follow routes I'd created on my PC.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
finkployd wrote:
Quote:
And I wonder if this will be a Windows based application, thereby instantly knackering the product for those that don't use windows.

I thought there was a Microsoft connection with the Active 10, if so i wonder how Apple and Linux users will be handled.

It dawned on me several seconds after the email reply that this thing is really a Pocket PC type thing and will need whatever the equivalent of ActiveSync is these days to transfer things between it and a PC....like iTunes and an iPod I suppose.....one of several reasons why I never bought an iPod!!

@finkployd....my unit doesn't always auto detect my South GB card either
chrissyboy2241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap have been in touch with me today after I asked them when the software which allows the active 10 to communicate with the computer will be available. They are recieving a prototype of it tommorrow, and if all goes well, are expecting it to be available to download from the website at the end of next week. But that is from the same people who told us the website would be up and running in a week, and we all know how long that took. oh, and if you use a mac you'll haver to wait until january!
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Synchronising the Active 10 with your desktop Reply with quote

Have just spoken to Satmap. The software for the synchronisation ("SatSync") is "ready, just needs testing" and can be expected in "two to three weeks time" Gasp - 2/3 weeks! I'm desperate to get some of the routes in and out of the unit! Apparently there is absolutely no way you can this at present; we have to wait for "SatSync"
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't they last week say it was in and if all goes well it'll be available at the end of this week?

'ready, just needs testing' is one of the stoopidest things I've ever heard them say.
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi im after mapping for my laptop which supports gpx any links please something that will cover north of england.so im ready when sync tool is released
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryanwal wrote:
hi im after mapping for my laptop which supports gpx any links please something that will cover north of england.so im ready when sync tool is released

See what their own online planner looks like before you spend money on yet more mapping for the laptop.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Upcoming software from SatMap - Info Reply with quote

I e-mailed SatMap last week to ask about the Sync software and any future planning software, and (I hope Lewis from Satmap doesn't mind) I thought I'd share his reply with you...

"You can use satsync on a pc that already has active sync installed, but the satsync software will only run side by side with the active 10, no other devices. We most definitely do plan on having a pc based route planner which will be downloadable free of charge from our website, this will give you full access to the whole of GB at 1:50k plus high res Arial photography, we are also in talks with Ordnance survey at the moment to see if they will allow us to but the 1:25k mapping on route planner as well. As a result of the route planner and online maps you will not need to be able to read the map card you have purchase as all the mapping will be online for you to access as and when you like. I hope this answered your question."

I wrote to Satmap because I was concerned that ActiveSync would no longer work on my PC if I also installed the forthcoming SatSync software - this reply puts my mind at ease (I couldn't live without my PDA/Outlook synchronization!)
Also, that PC route-planning software sound potentially brilliant - provided you have a broadband connection - run as a local application on your PC, but accessing the map data FREE over an internet connection - so no need to buy any more maps in other formats. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that OS will grant permission for the 1:25 000 maps to be used in this way...
To Forum moderator: Apologies for also posting this reply as a new topic- I got confused! Please delete the "new topic" version of this message Embarassed

-Rob
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: SatSync and route planner Reply with quote

I must admit I'm not holding my breath for the on-line route planner. Phrases such as "we most definitely plan to have" could be a long way from "we shall soon have" or even "we are actively working on". Those of us who already have Memory Map or similar simply need a means of getting .gpx tracks into the Satmap and we need it soon!
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Why the big hang up with the need for an online route planner, yes I agree it would be handy but not on my list of "Must Have" - for example I planned today’s walk on the active 10 in around 15 mins on the device, an 11 mile circular hike from Clapham involving Ingleborough summit, within the 15 mins were the naming of ten POI on the device, it just takes a little practice.

Although I won't be needing the online planner myself, I have Memory Map 2003 for South GB, I think it is important for the success of Satmap to allow a user to see the mapping area he/she has bought on a PC so that a bigger picture can be seen when planning a longer route. A 3.5 inch screen is not suitable as the only way to regularly work out 130 mile bike rides in areas you are not familiar with.....sometmes I think a 19 inch screen is not enough for me and I have to keep zooming out to get a better view. People are paying a lot of money for OS mapping that has less overall functionality than the likes of MM and Tracklog and buyers can't be expected to use less detailed maps like Googlemaps to plan routes.

I can't help thinking that if they are doing a PC based planner which you download and then the mapping data is online it would be far more reasonable and realistic to put your purchased map data on the PC and use that....I can't see how the OS would allow someone who bought half the country or even less to have access to the whole country....we are talking about an organisation that insist I buy all the same maps again if I want the few new bells and whistles available on 2004 or V5 Memory Map over my 2003 version. Confused

Last edited by robs1972 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spotted this thread last night and it made me chuckle....well the MM technical guy's first post anyway!!

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showtopic=10053

I can't imagine the people at MM really didn't know about a major competitor to their RoadAngel device

Checked out this link, made me laugh out loud, but the one question I have got is concerning this quote in the thread;

Quote:
hbradley Posted: Nov 16 2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks. I've been using MM since the very early days.

I use a T-Mobile MDA 3 with in-built GPS for car navigation (Tom Tom) & have used MM V5 on the hills for sometime. The reason for the change is that the Active 10 is water resistant & has a far better battery life. The disadvantage is that it's not cheap & you need another software programme to plan routes.
That said I've bought MM maps already & I can export the route files to the Active 10. The Road Angel is not robust enough, nor has anywher near the battery life of the Active 10.

Can someone tell me how he does this????? Laughing Laughing

I did not think it was possible until SatMap release the Active Sync software!

Regards,

Richard
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasack wrote:
Quote:
Spotted this thread last night and it made me chuckle....well the MM technical guy's first post anyway!!

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/board/index.php?showtopic=10053

I can't imagine the people at MM really didn't know about a major competitor to their RoadAngel device

Checked out this link, made me laugh out loud, but the one question I have got is concerning this quote in the thread;

Quote:
hbradley Posted: Nov 16 2007, 04:19 PM

Thanks. I've been using MM since the very early days.

I use a T-Mobile MDA 3 with in-built GPS for car navigation (Tom Tom) & have used MM V5 on the hills for sometime. The reason for the change is that the Active 10 is water resistant & has a far better battery life. The disadvantage is that it's not cheap & you need another software programme to plan routes.
That said I've bought MM maps already & I can export the route files to the Active 10. The Road Angel is not robust enough, nor has anywher near the battery life of the Active 10.

Can someone tell me how he does this????? Laughing Laughing

I did not think it was possible until SatMap release the Active Sync software!

Regards,

Richard

I read that as being what he plans to do...overcoming the disadvantage he mentioned. I'm in the same boat I have MM already and will be using that to create routes which I will then export to my A10.
chrissyboy2241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word from Satmap via email this morning. The sat-sync software should be ready to download at the end of this week/the beginning of next week. Heres hoping!
martin_b
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant find it yet? `Any more info?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: